The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Key West & the Florida Keys in general; the Virgin Islands, both British and US: Guadeloupe/Martinique; Curacao.

Last edited by frankmcr; 12-03-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 PM

I've spent considerable time over the years in Puerto Rico, Belize, Mexico, also Panama, Guatamala and Ecuador - and liked them all. And, no I am not a beach person; most of the trips were for caving, photography, and hiking. Interestingly in Belize, Panama and Ecuador, they readily take US money and use it like their own. In Puerto Rico, it is their own. That similarity was not planned. I like trips in warm places where our money goes further. Everywhere I went, I met people who were great and treated me well. They like it if you attempt to meet them on their terms and to get to know them as people - if everyone did that, there'd be less strife in this world.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:24 AM

We've done countless Caribbean trips and other trips including S. America solo or smaller groups than many of the Caribbean trips.

We've hardly ever been in tours, cruises or in big resorts but do have a Jamaican trip coming up that's a resort. I'm not so sure about the resort but it will better accommodate some of the group and the price is incredibly low.

Cayman Islands has been the most frequent destination because of the water and renting two particular villas. For any interest there I can give guidance on specific places for drift snorkeling, fishermen we've met, where to shop, and villa owners. For Jamaica I can give you roads to travel and places where most tourists don't go. Local car rental places etc....

We mostly do this with the two grandmothers, their kids and the grandkids so it's not all about action or adventure that is more the style of my own family.

A "boat trip" can vary a lot via the actual trip and what it costs. Our favorites are going with local fishermen. That's snorkeling too. You get conch and lobster by hand and fish via a hook. Some of the day's catch is yours. Some dive operations have snorkel only or combo dive and snorkel trips that are inexpensive and fun. For boat trips try to know if cruise ship schedules will create more crowds.

Some places give you different rates and put you in different groups if you're "local". Local doesn't mean you're a resident but more that you're not with a cruise or big tour operation. It is usually a much nicer experience if you're not with the groups of cruise people.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

...although Mexico is not considered Central America it is very close and shares a similar climate....many great destinations...the Yucatán is swell for exploring Mayan ruins....and if you just want to get away from it all check out Yelapa on the pacific coast....you have to get a water taxi to get there and there are no cars there...tourist boats show up during the day but leave in the afternoon...ladies sell homemade pies on the beach and the dogs are the friendliest you will ever meet...
Old 12-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Just to let you know if you go on the US Govt.travel advisory site, nearly every country people stated above (Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, Honduras), is on he "exercise increased caution or do not travel" list. I have a club member who flys out of Teterboro Airport for a high level customer. When he takes them to South/Central America he never leaves the hotel...never. Just sayin'
Old 12-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Just to let you know if you go on the US Govt.travel advisory site, nearly every country people stated above (Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, Honduras), is on he "exercise increased caution or do not travel" list. I have a club member who flys out of Teterboro Airport for a high level customer. When he takes them to South/Central America he never leaves the hotel...never. Just sayin'
The US would get the same ratings if we evaluated ourselves the same way. Do you think most tourists coming here are heading to Milwaukee's north or Chicago's south side? Would your trip to Jamaica be to hang out in Kingston's worst spots for gang violence?

Indeed some countries have more problems than others including some with wide-spread problems but very often the whole place gets confused with a few bad places.

My one bad experience in S. America was asking for it - going through one of the world's toughest neighborhoods after a night of partying.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Thankfully, CR isn't one of them (back to the OP); government travel status is normal. The usual precautions apply: don't flash cash/jewelry, keep in safe places, don't leave valuables unattended in your car, etc. We've had no desire or need to travel to San Jose (heavy traffic; capitol) or Limon (port; Caribbean), which are more problematic. Common sense prevents 99% of crime, and we've traveled throughout much of the country without any issues.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thankfully, CR isn't one of them (back to the OP); government travel status is normal. The usual precautions apply: don't flash cash/jewelry, keep in safe places, don't leave valuables unattended in your car, etc. We've had no desire or need to travel to San Jose (heavy traffic; capitol) or Limon (port; Caribbean), which are more problematic. Common sense prevents 99% of crime, and we've traveled throughout much of the country without any issues.
Your last sentence nailed it for travel near and far. Leave your Rolex at home. Drive or rent a modest vehicle. Don't carry too much stuff. Outside of the US I've carried the optional plastic passport card as ID but most often just the local issued temporary driver's license and enough cash for the particular excursion. We take more than one credit card but only use one so the other will be activated if that one gets stolen.

I hope it's not fooling myself but I believe not showing fear and moving with confidence makes a difference - look and act local as possible. If not for safety it helps for customer service.

On one trip I recall a time when a pub/grill hostess was eying everyone and it was really clear where you sat was a plan. We not only got better seating but later realized the couple at next table were Sting and wife Trudie. I have wondered if their smiles and looks would have been different if we recognized them right away.

Don't be afraid to travel. Get outside the hotel, resort or where the cruises take you.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM

Not sure i want to go to the carribean again
-seems we had impoverish people following us trying to sell everything from a ride to buying nick knacks
or just asking for money ( in a threatening way ) a couple of years back .
-The nick nacks i dont mind as much , but to give me a ride of say 100 feet to a store is absurd- plus you dont know about safety etc.
Im also worried about the devastation those islands went threw just recently -
a few of them look like they almost got washed out with all the hurricanes -
so were thinking a cruise their is out of the question . guessing their hurting and it might not be safe
( Thou sometimes just staying on the boat or not wandering far might be the solution ! )
I have though about how this helps their economy ( to visit their )

Last edited by Tony Burns; 12-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Not sure i want to go to the carribean again
-seems we had impoverish people following us trying to sell everything from a ride to buying nick knacks
or just asking for money ( in a threatening way ) a couple of years back .
-The nick nacks i dont mind as much , but to give me a ride of say 100 feet to a store is absurd- plus you dont know about safety etc.
Im also worried about the devastation those islands went threw just recently -
a few of them look like they almost got washed out with all the hurricanes -
so were thinking a cruise their is out of the question . guessing their hurting and it might not be safe
( Thou sometimes just staying on the boat or not wandering far might be the solution ! )
I have though about how this helps their economy ( to visit their )

I don't know all the islands and nations but tourism is much of the economy for many locations. Places we've visited where there is ag, mineral extraction, finance and health care didn't have everyone excited about all that. It it's just for tropical air, water and relax you can not leave your resort or villa.

Having traveled south for decades and many times and having seen hurricane recovery the past few years have me far more worried about non-hurricane changes to reefs, the sargassum, and the plastic trash. Those are important reasons why the not typical tourist view is important.

If you fly to GCM you won't see same levels of poverty but for me a Cayman trip really is about the water. My mother in law and I have been thrilled to visit farmers and local ag but that's not for everyone.

Why would people hurting after the hurricanes be not safe unless you are intending to visit specific places? When we did a post hurricane trip with 1+ years recovery going on we found new construction, a scene that made you think in good ways and people pleased that we helped.

We all travel for different reasons. The star fruit pic was snapped at a farmer's place before lunch and the fish pic was the afternoon swim. The shore pic is a road away from resorts where we rented someone's house for 2 weeks at least 10 times. Never in 20 weeks of walking or running alone have I ever felt or had the dangers in or near other places.

If you follow some good reporting you should probably more afraid of a resort or a cruise where crime gets brushed under the rug occurs and where you can swim in the pee and poop of thousands of others.

Nothing can replicate both experiences if you don't go. Full disclosure.

P.S. My next step after lunch is calling Jamaica where I think I have a line on a local car. I can give a trip report in the near future.
P.S.S. Be careful about someone selling a ride. I prefer to do the driving myself or have a guide.
P.S.S.S. Offer having a beer or coffee instead of buying a nick nack. You can say no thanks to ganja, very nice to a nic nak, bless up and move on.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Many years ago I visited Honduras.
I will never go back. I’m amazed I survived.
I have been to Honduras multiple times, spent 6 months there in the late 70's, and numerous times in the past 15 years flying medi-vac trips there. I have had some issue's there, it is a beautiful country, need to stay aware when you are there.

If you make Costa Rica, I would suggest the Nacoya peninsula, fly into Liberia, rent a four wheel drive and go explore. It is largely uninhabited and undeveloped. Very few paved roads, the scenery is amazing, the people you come across are gracious. I like the off season, (rainy season) late fall early winter, the beaches are totally uninhabited, food was great, relatively inexpensive. Only suggestion, go in with a full tank of gas and purchase gas where ever you see it, gas stations just don't exist.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 PM

Costa Rica is fabulous for nature hiking, but the food is bland. Not horrible, but bland.

For great food, I suggest a French Caribbean island: Martinique or Guadeloupe. They have everything: volcanoes (not active), rain forests, fantastic food (the combination of French and West African cuisines is, for me, unbelievably fine).

For ruins, go north: Guatemala or the Yucatan of Mexico

Larry
Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 PM

I enjoy Belize and Honduras. IMHO, stay away from Panama and El Salvador. I was in Cuba for five days two years ago and really enjoy ed it and the people. It is pricey and make sure you have Euros or Canadian dollars. Oddly enough, my favorite Caribbean island is St Maarten. I love it there. I also like Grand Turk.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic