The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Another elegant solution! What will be next in terms of show and tell? Thanks again for posting such neat stuff!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonguitars View Post
Jimmy, I use a ball end allen wrench epoxied into a 3/16 socket with two 12 inch extensions. Having the sound port is a great asset but it can be done without one as well.

That's very neat. Thanks for the answer.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Cherry Neck Blank Cut

I cut a bunch of oversized quartersawn Cherry neck blanks a few months back. I like using Cherry because it is half way between Mahogany and Maple in density. Work to begin tomorrow on a batch of necks.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Neck Progress! Ears and extension too!

Began working on a new batch of necks today in earnest. Now that they are cut I let them rest for a few days. They have been trimmed up a bit but they are still oversized at this point.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Looks great! What kind of fingerboards will the necks receive?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Default More Neck Progress

Today I routed the truss rod channel and began making the dovetail. I feel the pics are pretty straight forward.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 AM

Very interesting - keep 'em coming!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 PM

What is the latest? Any more pics of new progress? Cheers!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Well Erich, what a great coincidence to come across this build thread whilst holding my very own Imperial in my lap!

It is really cool to see all of the stages of your work in photos. And now I know how you remove the neck! To forum readers - the neck is dovetailed in a traditional manner, it's just not glued in. Two bolts are used instead. I can assure anyone that that there is no compromise in tone whatsoever!

My Imperial uses traditional archtop woods (quilted maple B&S, spruce top) with a cherry neck and cocobolo fingerboard. The guitar is very light, and the sound jumps out of it. The bass response in particular is astonishing for an archtop and especially for a 16" one. It's easily played fingerstyle or with a light touch, but is not confused by a flat pick and a heavier hand, either.

Rock on, Erich! The koa is awesome looking. Hope to see you again one of these days.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Completed Adi/koa Solomon Archtop

Yes Roger it is great to be here and I hope your guitar is continuing to please you. I failed on my mission to post the whole build; it was a lot work and very time consuming. Who knew? So getting the guitar done for the Montreal show became the priority. Apologies to all. Here are some non-professional pics. It was finished yesterday with just about a week for it to settle in before the show. Please feel free to ask questions and again I am sorry I dropped the ball. Thanks, Erich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
Well Erich, what a great coincidence to come across this build thread whilst holding my very own Imperial in my lap!

It is really cool to see all of the stages of your work in photos. And now I know how you remove the neck! To forum readers - the neck is dovetailed in a traditional manner, it's just not glued in. Two bolts are used instead. I can assure anyone that that there is no compromise in tone whatsoever!

My Imperial uses traditional archtop woods (quilted maple B&S, spruce top) with a cherry neck and cocobolo fingerboard. The guitar is very light, and the sound jumps out of it. The bass response in particular is astonishing for an archtop and especially for a 16" one. It's easily played fingerstyle or with a light touch, but is not confused by a flat pick and a heavier hand, either.

Rock on, Erich! The koa is awesome looking. Hope to see you again one of these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop