The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Pickup for classical recommendation?

Thats it. Im looking at having it installed inside, so no wires on the outside.

Got any recommendations good people?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Schatten HFN. I don't have experience with it personally, but they get a lot of positive reviews on the steel string side. Very easy to install and remove. No permanent modification except for the hole for the endpin jack. Not super expensive.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:59 AM
Musical minimalist

Barbera Soloist - K&K pure classical......and my favorite, a good small diaphragm condenser mic

Old 12-09-2019, 04:53 PM

The Barbera is one of the best I've heard. I'd also suggest LR Baggs Anthem, LB6, and Element VTC. I've used the Element VTC in a crossover and the Anthem in a steel string; both are very good. I've also read some good comments on the Lyric.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 AM

I have a Schatten HFN in my Cordoba C10 and one in a steel string Eastman 00-12 fret. They work very well, they are a sound board transducer style pick up.

They are passive so no extra wires, batteries and bags inside the instrument as you said you prefer. Being passive with a fairly low signal strength they benefit a lot from a preamp/DI box. Both guitars require a bit of EQ tweaking, like most everything, but nothing major.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I have not heard the Barbera Soloist, but have seen numerous rave reviews for it for over a decade.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I'm curious about the Barbera.

Regarding the K&K, I've had two of their systems and installed both of them myself. It was a pretty easy job... with just maneuvering my big hand in the sound hole being the hardest part. They are very natural sounding, passive pickups.

My favorite nylon systems have been the Fishman Prefix Pro Blend systems in the Luthier and Espana instruments. But you have to cut a square hole in the side of your guitar to install the electronics for those. I've never done that, but I've owned a bunch of those Cordobas with them already installed.

The LR Baggs Element system is decent sounding, though less natural, being a UST system.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Thanks a lot guys, I'll certainly look into the Barbera system, in fact I'll check out all your recommendations, love this forum 😀

It's mostly to allow me to attach a Tonewood Amp to the guitar, it only works if there's a pick up. I doubt I'll be amplifying through a speaker, though I'm not discounting that.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:35 AM

The ToneDexter appears to be a rising star in steel string amplification.

Is it gathering similar positive reviews when used for nylon string amplification?

Does the ToneDexter work best with a particular pickup type when used with a nylon string guitar (i.e. undersaddle, body sensor pickups) or does it do equally well (or poorly) with either?

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.

Last edited by epaul; 12-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

New option, invented by James May, inventor of the ToneDexter:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=565836
Old 12-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Barbera

I had the factory electronics pulled from my Taylor nylon NS52ce and replaced it with a Barbera transducer several years ago. It is now one of my favorite acoustic/electrics. I also had a Barbera installed in a Kirk Sand guitar (originally built without electronics) and my newest Kirk Sand thinline had a Barbera. They are great pickups and perform well with a variety of guitars and amps.

YouTube Site

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical