The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Sponge mold - Nomad Humidifer

Have been using this Music Nomad humidifier for about a year, using distilled water exclusively as instructed. When to re-wet it and discovered 2 small mold spots on each side. Last re-wet about 3 weeks ago.

Also use 2 Herco devices by the headstock. All 3 maintain a steady 43 degree Rh in the guitar case, while my office Rh averages between 21- 33.

Any suggestions as to what may have caused these molds to appear within the last 3 weeks? And I've ordered a sponge from AMZ, but does the Nomad container need to be disinfected, and if so, how would that be done? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:50 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I get those all the time. I just ignore them and wash them out, but

We used to ride our bikes without helmets, played tackle football without any equipment except the football, climbed metal jungle gyms without breaking an arm, slid down the metal slide in 90 degree sunny weather.......

Of course I haven't showed those black little spots to my wife though

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-07-2024, 10:55 AM

I soak my pads in a small bottle of distilled water to recharge them. I add a cup full of bleach to the water to help control mold.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:42 AM

Mold spores are in the air around us (even in desert climates). A very small amount of bleach added to the water will help discourage the mold from growing on the filter so it won't get big enough for you to see.

It'll still be in your case though. Exposing the open case to UV light can help kill the mold in a case.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I use the Planet Waves humidifiers. The sponges are cheap, so I just toss them every year or so and put new ones in.

Even with distilled water, they get sort of stinky after 10-12 months.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:51 AM

As above, it occurs periodically so I put a drop of bleach in 2 cups of water and vigorously clean the sponge. Afterwards it's fine.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Once again I agree with KenL, although I don't toss mine on a calendar basis. I use the small Planet Wave sponges in a ziplock with holes in it hanging from the strings in the sound hole, and I cut up antifungal sponges from the dollar store to put in perforated soap dishes in the headstock area.

I charge them with distilled water and give them the sniff test after I wring one out. Any bad smell whatsoever and into the trash bin they go. Both type sponges are cheap enough so I keep a supply of both on hand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion