The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2024, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

It is perplexing as to how Martin can’t seem to solve this binding issue over the last dozen years. A Martin warranty is clearly not worth much, if anything, these days. Most Martin authorized repair shops, provided you can even find one in your area or state, don’t want to take on the binding work, because Martin doesn’t compensate them enough to make it worth their time.

Unless your Martin is repaired at the factory with a refinish (6-9 months) the repair will likely be noticeable, and there is a devaluation.

I know I am in the minority in that I buy used guitars, and I don’t care about wear and tear. So repairs, even cleated cracks, don’t bother me. Most buyers want pristine guitars and see repairs, even just aesthetic issues, like a reglued binding, as a point for a major price reduction or a clear pass on the purchase.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I have 3 Martins, a 1967 D-35, a 2006 000-28VS, and a 2018 D-45. I've never had a binding separation on my Martins, but I live in a region with 40-60% relative humidity and that may help. My Ric 360-12 had serious binding separation problems that was repaired at my expense by my local technician.

It's disheartening to read about all these problems on Martins.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 02-24-2024 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:34 AM

This is unbelievable to be honest, living in the UK, the price, risk and lack of customer support means I doubt I would risk ever buying a Martin which is a shame.

I like the 1-3/4 nut width of the modern Martin’s but I’m traditional in the sense that I like my guitars to stay together!

If this was Gibson, or heaven forbid Eastman they would get absolutely slaughtered on forums such as this, but Martin seems to get a pass with a lot of people. I keep seeing comments akin to ‘it’s not the end of the world’, ‘it wouldn’t put me off buying one’, ‘just fix it yourself’ etc etc then there are constant Martin NGD’s and custom build threads so it doesn’t seem to be affecting the brand as much as it should.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 02-24-2024, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Martin’s customer service for warranty work is virtually nonexistent in the US as well. When the bindings fall off your guitar, and there is no authorized repair shop in your area, and the factory has stopped accepting binding repair work for the time being, what do most people do? They pay for it to be fixed out of pocket.

In the last decade or so, many Martins have needed neck resets within the first year or two. Again, with no authorized repair shops in your area, or authorized shops unwilling to take on warranty work, people are forced to pay hundreds of dollars to ship their Martins round trip back to the factory for a 6-9 month repair on a new guitar.

Remedies:
-Purchase used Martins.
-Purchase new Martins understanding that the warranty is merely conceptual.
-Purchase other brands.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 02-24-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:07 AM

Which brands have binding issues and/or need neck resets more often? It's just something I've never experienced. I have 1 acoustic that is almost 30 years old and 2 that are 8-10 yrs old. The only thing I've ever done is had a setup to tweak playability a little, otherwise they're fine for my needs... neither are martins...needs to be a 2 questions for martin but they probably don't wanna answer those

Last edited by Jaxon; 02-24-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Martin’s customer service for warranty work is virtually nonexistent in the US as well. When the bindings fall off your guitar, and there is no authorized repair shop in your area, and the factory has stopped accepting binding repair work for the time being, what do most people do? They pay for it to be fixed out of pocket.

In the last decade or so, many Martins have needed neck resets within the first year or two. Again, with no authorized repair shops in your area, or authorized shops unwilling to take on warranty work, people are forced to pay hundreds of dollars to ship their Martins round trip back to the factory for a 6-9 month repair on a new guitar.

Remedies:
Purchase used Martins.
Purchase new Martins with the understanding that the warranty is merely conceptual.
Purchase other brands.
There are not many places here that will do a neck set. The last place I went to. Said 4 weeks is the time frame. And 1600 bucks cdn.
They are a repair shop that wish only to do nut to saddle adjustments for the easy coin.
And yup. They are a Martin repair facility
Gibson SJ200

Last edited by Slimt; 02-24-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default How long does repair last

The question I wonder about is if the Martin done repair in time starts to separate. Is this once and done, which would indicate they should have solved this some time ago or it's really a "scheduled repair item". Why do they still use plastic binding. Maybe the issue is that, not really the glue

I buy cars to drive, not sit in the shop, the same with guitars. They need a "loaner" program.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 02-24-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Those of us who own Gibsons took a lot of grief about QC issues for years from the Martin camp. As Dylan sang, "How does it feel...?"
Hehe…

I’ve owned a couple dozen Gibsons made between early 90’s and today, and have never had any problems to speak of out of any of them. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Of the big 3, Martin is my least favorite, and the only brand of the 3 that I do not own at least 1. I haven’t owned a Martin in over a decade. Not that I wouldn’t own a 15 or 18 series, but I don’t need one.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
The question I wonder about is if the Martin done repair in time starts to separate. Is this once and done, which would indicate they should have solved this some time ago or it's really a "scheduled repair item". Why do they still use plastic binding. Maybe the issue is that, not really the glue

I buy cars to drive, not sit in the shop, the same with guitars. They need a "loaner" program.
Ive had a Tweedy 00-17 and OM-21in for warrantied binding repair. Lasted about a year before coming loose again. Ca glue from last repair left ugly white residue under clear coat.

Not buying any new Martins again.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-24-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Which brands have binding issues and/or need neck resets more often? It's just something I've never experienced. I have 1 acoustic that is almost 30 years old and 2 that are 8-10 yrs old. The only thing I've ever done is had a setup to tweak playability a little, otherwise they're fine for my needs.
The timeframe for a neck reset is usually measured in decades, not years. My ‘00 HD28LSV finally needed a neck reset a couple months ago. My ‘04 D18GE does not need a neck reset. I should also note that neither has binding issues.

My former ‘11 D Mahogany, which I bought new, needed a reset in 2012. The shop where I bought it as well as the Martin dealer across town both told me they didn’t want to do the reset under warranty. They said I should ship it across the country to Martin, where it could also be refinished to deal with the whisker cracks at the bridge. Both shops are still Martin dealers, yet they are no longer authorized repair centers.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had a lovely Martin M-38 that I purchased new in early 1992. I put it on consignment in late 2023 with the only issue being the binding coming loose from the finger board. The shop was an authorized Martin dealer and the work was covered under warranty before it sold for 20% over my original purchase price. With the consignment fee, I made a bit of money off the deal.
So, yes, the binding issues have been around for a while. :-) It wouldn’t keep me from buying one, new or used, if the guitar was otherwise exactly what I was looking for though.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-24-2024, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Zissou Intern;7415854]
"In the last decade or so, many Martins have needed neck resets within the first year or two. Again, with no authorized repair shops in your area, or authorized shops unwilling to take on warranty work, people are forced to pay hundreds of dollars to ship their Martins round trip back to the factory for a 6-9 month repair on a new guitar."

Welp... in 2022 I bought a new '39 D-18A from Gryphon. Fantastic guitar (as are all the Authentics). However, after a year of play I felt the action was getting too high for comfortable play and that a neck reset was going to be required.

I took the guitar back to Gryphon (just 20 minutes from my home) and they agreed the guitar needed a neck reset. They contacted Martin and were given a green light to do the reset at Martin's expense.

A week later I had my guitar back and it's perfect. Zero cost to me.

SO... Martin came through on their warranty for me with no hassle whatsoever. Well done, Martin!

Old 02-24-2024, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=6L6;7415898]
Quote:
"In the last decade or so, many Martins have needed neck resets within the first year or two. Again, with no authorized repair shops in your area, or authorized shops unwilling to take on warranty work, people are forced to pay hundreds of dollars to ship their Martins round trip back to the factory for a 6-9 month repair on a new guitar."

Welp... in 2022 I bought a new '39 D-18A from Gryphon. Fantastic guitar (as are all the Authentics). However, after a year of play I felt the action was getting too high for comfortable play and that a neck reset was going to be required.

I took the guitar back to Gryphon (just 20 minutes from my home) and they agreed the guitar needed a neck reset. They contacted Martin and were given a green light to do the reset at Martin's expense.

SO... Martin came through on their warranty for me with no hassle whatsoever. Well done, Martin!

I would say that Gryphon came through for you. The shop was willing to accept the amount of money that Martin reimburses for a warranty neck reset. After working in a Martin shop 20 years ago, I am guessing that Martin is still not paying the going rate for a neck reset, especially a premier shop in the Bay area.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=6L6;7415898]
Quote:

Well honestly, buying a new guitar in 2022 and having to have the neck reset almost immediately, giving kudos to Martin seems a little silly regardless if it was repaired by warranty!
Old 02-24-2024, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=airborne1;7415950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

Well honestly, buying a new guitar in 2022 and having to have the neck reset almost immediately, giving kudos to Martin seems a little silly regardless if it was repaired by warranty!
That was my thought also. Makes me question the wood , construction, or both. Will be interesting to see how long before next reset is needed.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion