The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
If the strings are wrapped in plastic, then they are probably good. The old strings I have wrapped in paper often have corrosion on the unwound high E and B strings after a while. Then again, I do not live in a dry climate, my relative humidity is typically 40-60%.

- Glenn
+1 to what Glenn said.

I have some "special" hard to find Martin strings for my 12-string baritone. I put them in zip lock bags and sucked the air out of the bag. The strings seem to be fine.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:57 PM

In theory, strings kept in their original wrappings in a low-moisture environment (no basements, attics, garages, or case humidifiers here, guys...) should last almost indefinitely: back in the '90s MandoBros was selling a museum-quality '43 Epiphone Emperor, with original case/case candy and a complete set of half-century-old factory strings in the storage compartment that, in Stan's own words, "look[ed] like they were purchased this morning" (Side note: this puppy was so squeaky-clean I thought it was a refin, and passed on it; turns out it wasn't, and I should have grabbed it at the $3895 asking price - it went within 72 hours of being listed for sale, and I'm surprised Stan didn't keep it for his personal stash)...

In practice, it doesn't always work out this way: IME dark spots (not gritty rust) on plain strings and discoloration on the wound ones (I find PB the worst offender) can be polished out with a bit of Nevr-Dull, without losing tone to any appreciable degree; I've also pressed some strings with actual rust into backup service - a couple swipes of 0000 steel wool, some Nevr-Dull, and a bit of Finger-Ease will make then serviceable in a pinch - better than nothing, but fresh strings are always the best bet...
Old 03-04-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
If the strings are wrapped in plastic, then they are probably good. The old strings I have wrapped in paper often have corrosion on the unwound high E and B strings after a while. Then again, I do not live in a dry climate, my relative humidity is typically 40-60%.

- Glenn
Gibson Masterbuilt's are in a sealed plastic wrapping.

Gibson ended Masterbuilts maybe 4 years ago, could be 5? not sure

I used them a lot before Gibon deep sixed em.

I found two sets last year and figured, NICE! Lets try them

These were dead the moment I tuned em up.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I have 3-400 sets of strings at any one time. Some don’t get used for years. As mentioned above, sometimes there’s a hut of corrosion in strings 1 or 2 but otherwise they play fine.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-07-2024, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I have allot of paper wrapped, cardboard boxed strings from years ago.

Glad Rotosound and others began sealing in film wrapper.

Now those old paper and cardboard boxes are collectors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion