The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-12-2020, 02:55 AM

Acoustic guitars typically have a flatter radius and I've never had an issue playing barre chords.

I think a big disconnect between players is that something like the 7.25" radius is great if you use heavier strings. With light strings, bends require the string to move further, which causes the undesired fretting out sound.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Small radius, big radius, skinny neck, fat neck, baseball bat neck, v neck, c neck, d neck, xyz neck, wide nut width, narrow nut width, string spacing, various wood types, string types, pick up types, type of odors emanating from sound hole, you name it. Bring 'em.
45 years ago, we only knew what color they were.
Yes, but we also learned very quickly that not everyone made the same demands, used the same technique when playing the guitar, or had the same hands. In the meantime we can look back on a few decades of development, this applies to the way of playing as well as the construction of instruments. The neck is the most important thing on a guitar today, on every guitar, it is an anthropotechnical question in all respects, which is responsible for the playability as a whole. Everything else can be easily adjusted or changed quickly afterwards, except for the neck. Replacing the entire neck is a completely different story.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:49 AM

Sometimes you just have to have a neck made that fits your needs.

I had this guitar custom ordered for my son for his birthday and it has a 10"-12" compound radius and med stainless steel frets, and a roasted flamed maple neck.

It has one of the best guitar necks in our 50+ guitar collection.

Neck comfort is about one of the most important things for me as a guitar player.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars