The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-04-2020, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Heritage Vs Gibson

Hello, Friend’s...

In the Les Paul/339 world how does Heritage compare to Gibson. Not just in value, but quality, craftsmanship, tone, etc.?

I’ve played quite a few Gibson LP’s but haven’t had the privilege of playing a Heritage. Any input?

PT
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-04-2020, 01:33 PM

Hey PT, I've read great things about Heritage over the years but like yourself I've never had the privilege to play one. I don't think they have an equivalent to the Gibson 339 but they do for the Les Paul and the 335 (which the 339 is a hybrid of).

I don't know how things are over at Heritage since the layoffs last year and the other people who left.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:35 PM

Not familiar with the solds/semis, but when Mandolin Brothers was stocking their carved jazzboxes I played every one I could get my hands on; don't know how the current production stacks up but the '80s/90s stuff was everything Gibson could/should have been: gorgeous woods, some of the best craftsmanship I've seen in a postwar factory archtop (comparable to many individual luthiers), and tone for days - all at a price that made you wonder why the big "G" was charging four times as much for a lesser instrument (the original Eagle - a 17" all-solid/all-carved/all-hog cutaway jazzbox - could be had for under $1K street in the mid-80's, and even the production-flagship 18" Super Eagle sold for under $4K). The only thing I'd have second thoughts about in a new Heritage - assuming quality has remained the same in view of Dru's comments - is the relatively poor resale value, and if I were in the market I'd sooner suss out a good used example...
Old 01-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't hesitate one minute to look at Heritage. Every one I've played was well made and a nice guitar. I have a Gibson custom shop ES-359 and if for some reason I needed to replace it, I'd seriously look at what Heritage offers.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

There is a good-condition, used The Heritage Sweet 16 ($2795) at my local dealer right now! I never saw a "The Heritage" guitar until a couple of weeks ago. Heritage Guitars are made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, by former Gibson employees who didn't want to move to Nashville when Gibson relocated there. From my favorite local dealer, and from word on the street, The Heritage Guitars are better quality than their Gibson counterparts.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-06-2020 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

The heritage prospect is the equivalent of a Gibson 339. I’ve had one for a number of years and it plays and sounds great even though I don’t use it much anymore because I prefer single coils.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 PM

I'd NEVER EVER consider ANY Heritage guitar.

They are NOT the company the used to be and they new owners turned their backs on the veteran guitar makers that worked at Gibson and Heritage for years.

Even with the issues that people say Gibson has, I'd go with Gibson ANY day.

Here's the story.

You can read it for yourself

https://bluegrasstoday.com/changes-a...taff-luthiers/
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate all of the input and education. Sincerely. Thank you. Let me preface this by saying I will be buying used. Not new.

I’ve heard/read some very positive things about early Heritage guitars. The H-150 looks very appealing. But, I will read the article linked above and gather some more information. I’d been seriously weighing the option of a LP, 335, or Japanese Gretsch.

After reading Steve’s post, and based on my current Gretsch guitars, I’m not sure I’d achieve much by purchasing a Japanese Gretsch. I haven’t totally ruled it out, but I certainly seem to be leaning towards a LP Standard, or possibly a Heritage.

Of course I first need to sell my J-45 Standard. And then line up an opportunity to play a few LP standards, Japanese Gretsch, and some Heritage guitars.

I’d read a LOT about LP Standards, Good years/bad years, 50’s necks vs. 60’s necks, weight relieved vs. chambered. From what I’ve seen either late 90’s, 2002ish, or 2013/2014’s seem to be desirable years for a LP.

Does anyone have any input on specific years/models that stand out as “must haves” regarding Gibson LP or Heritage?

I found a 2013 LP Classic on Reverb that was very interesting. Chambered (but still weighing 8.75 lbs), 57’ Classics, 60’s profile necks. But, I’m not sure I’d be satisfied with a Classic. I seem to be drawn towards the LP Standard with 60’s profile neck.

Of course if I can play a few Heritage models that may sway me some. Although, I am a bit concerned about resale value on Heritage over Gibson. Not that I’m buying based on that, but it is always a factor to me. Just in case. Good problems to have I suppose.

Someone needs to by my J-45 so I can proceed lolol. Seriously, someone buy it!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 01-04-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:57 PM

Default Heritage info

I can offer a couple of suggestions: first, try posting in the Archtop section, more folks over there have a working knowledge about Heritage instruments. Second, you may want to ask the question in the Jazz Guitar Forum. There are individuals there who know quite a lot about Heritage, the company, the history, and the instruments.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 01-05-2020, 07:08 AM

I had a 575 (ES-175). It was a pretty nice guitar, (visually gorgeous) but I had intonation issues which after spending some money and time to sort out, turned out to be a problem with fret placement in the lower registers, and where they installed the nut. I moved on from it.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
I can offer a couple of suggestions: first, try posting in the Archtop section, more folks over there have a working knowledge about Heritage instruments. Second, you may want to ask the question in the Jazz Guitar Forum. There are individuals there who know quite a lot about Heritage, the company, the history, and the instruments.
Thank you for the “steer”/info. I appreciate it.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I had a 575 (ES-175). It was a pretty nice guitar, (visually gorgeous) but I had intonation issues which after spending some money and time to sort out, turned out to be a problem with fret placement in the lower registers, and where they installed the nut. I moved on from it.
YIKES! This is great info to have. Usually it’s simple, like a nut, etc.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I’m sure that leaves a sour taste. It certainly would for me.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-06-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
YIKES! This is great info to have. Usually it’s simple, like a nut, etc.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I’m sure that leaves a sour taste. It certainly would for me.
I think it was a one off there. I have two friends with Heritage Les Pauls and they are very happy with them and they are nice guitars.

I wish I'd save some photos tho. It was a natural finish with flamed maple grain that was truly a sight to behold.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:19 PM

The new guard at Heritage are making sure to up the quality control on their guitars if you are looking to buy new. That said I own 2 Heritage H150s and owned another one prior to that. Heritage doesn't weight relieve there guitars like Gibson USA models, and they use Honduran Mahogany for the backs and necks which tends to be a little heavier than the Fiji grown Mahogany on LPs so most are in the middle to high 9lb range. Their nut and finish work on the older models can be spotty in the quality control. Both of my H150s I had straightened out by my local luthier for very little money. That said, they are both great guitars that I bought for fair prices, one used at $1200 without pickups (I already had a set I ordered for it so I told the guy to keep what was in it), and the other new for $2100 that came fully set up and ready to go. I eventually changed the Nashville bridges and the heavier tailpieces with tone-lock Faber ABRs, and locking lightweight tailpieces. Now they are as good as most Les Pauls I've played. I have two custom shop reissues and the Heritages hang just fine with them. Another thing their H535s are considered one of the best models they make.

My Heritages...

Old 01-12-2020, 06:45 AM

I have owned 4 Heritages all bought used with yrs from mid 90s to 2010 and have tried a number of others. As opposed to some posters, I would say that Heritage quality is inconsistent. When they get it right it is spectacular. And play and sound just like you would want any Gibson to sound and play. The biggest issue with Heritage...tough as hell to sell. And expect a ton of price pressure from buyers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars