The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 PM

Default Elite Acoustics D6-8 trade in deal!

I just got this email today:

Quote:

Dear current D6-8 owners,

We are offering all current D6-8 owner to upgrade to MKII for $259 with free shipping.

Included in the $259

1) a shipping label for shipping D6-8 unit to us (but unit needs to shipped back well packaged.)
2) upgrade unit to MKII, new Amplifier (80 Watts) and new lithium battery.
3) shipping unit back to customer. Standard shipping.
4) leadtime will be about 10 days excluding shipping time.

This offer is only good for USA and lower 48 states and valid until Nov. 1, 2019.

best regards

Online Support
Elite acoustics engineering, Inc.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Seems like a good deal, but also seems very much beneficial to the company since they likely want the original unit back so they can switch up some of the circuitry and battery and sell it off as a MKII.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:13 PM

It is a great deal for me. I love everything about my D6-8 but it’s limited power. I was thinking of selling mine and then buying one of the new ones. This will be way better.

I also am going to guess that they will sell the refurbished new ones at a discount on eBay.

For those that haven’t tried this amp, it sounds incredible! Especially on vocals!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Seems like a good deal, but also seems very much beneficial to the company since they likely want the original unit back so they can switch up some of the circuitry and battery and sell it off as a MKII.

I think they probably just retrofit your existing amp and send the same one back to you.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I think they probably just retrofit your existing amp and send the same one back to you.
Yes this is exactly what they do.
New amplifier and new lithium battery
For 250. Its still your d68 only louder.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:10 PM

$259. I just paid. Yes, this is a good move for me. With the Lithium battery it will charge faster and not drop in power as it discharges. This will be fine for most of my gigs. For outdoors and larger rooms, I’ll continue to use my Schertler Roy. I am absolutely thrilled to be able to do this. This fixes my one complaint with the D6-8.

In my opinion this puts it a little ahead of the AER Compact 60 in terms of channels, power, sound quality (especially on vocals) and lower price point.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:13 PM

Cool deal! As you know they offered me a D6-8 MKII upgrade for my M6BR8 I recently got from them and wasn't happy with the weak volume. The exchange is in the process now!!!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
$259. I just paid. Yes, this is a good move for me. With the Lithium battery it will charge faster and not drop in power as it discharges. This will be fine for most of my gigs. For outdoors and larger rooms, I’ll continue to use my Schertler Roy. I am absolutely thrilled to be able to do this. This fixes my one complaint with the D6-8.

In my opinion this puts it a little ahead of the AER Compact 60 in terms of channels, power, sound quality (especially on vocals) and lower price point.
I sold my compact 60 because the vocals were unacceptable. Guitar sounded great. I too am taking this offer.
Like you it's about the only complaint
I have about it. The 40 watts that is.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Well I just got mine back an hour or so ago and I’ve been running it through it’s paces:

Yes, it sounds just like it did before only louder. The only difference I can see on the outside is that there are now two battery charge indicators. There must be two lithium batteries in it. I had to re-pair the bluetooth.

How loud is it now? I can get it up to painful levels without distortion. Like before, the sound quality is stellar. It certainly is plenty for a small to medium room listening gig! Yeah, I’m very happy with it!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:19 PM

What a cool thing EAE did by allowing this upgrade program.

Yeah, they told me it has a dual battery pack, so far my indicators always seem to be in unison, but I wonder if at some point I'll see one drain faster than the other - otherwise, what's the point.

When you remove the battery panel, they have a case around them so you can't see what's there like before.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:19 PM

The lithium battery can power twice the wattage (or more). That's one advantage.

Another advantage is that as a lithium battery discharges, the power stays constant right up until the point where it suddenly dies. With an SLA battery the power tapers as the battery is used. You can see that with the Fishman Loudbox charge. As you use it on battery power, the amplifier gradually gets weaker.

A third advantage is charge time. An SLA battery can literally take days to charge. A Lithium battery can get fully charged in a few hours.

The most often cited danger of lithium batteries is them bursting into flame if they are punctured or bent. That is a real concern. Fortunately this particular lithium battery type is far safer.

One advantage of SLA batteries is that they are cheap and easy to replace yourself. Twenty something dollars on eBay. About twice that at Batteries Plus.

I don't know how expensive it will be to replace the dual lithium batteries in the mk2 version. Fortunately the batteries should last a couple of years.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
The lithium battery can power twice the wattage (or more). That's one advantage.

Another advantage is that as a lithium battery discharges, the power stays constant right up until the point where it suddenly dies. With an SLA battery the power tapers as the battery is used. You can see that with the Fishman Loudbox charge. As you use it on battery power, the amplifier gradually gets weaker.

A third advantage is charge time. An SLA battery can literally take days to charge. A Lithium battery can get fully charged in a few hours.

The most often cited danger of lithium batteries is them bursting into flame if they are punctured or bent. That is a real concern. Fortunately this particular lithium battery type is far safer.

One advantage of SLA batteries is that they are cheap and easy to replace yourself. Twenty something dollars on eBay. About twice that at Batteries Plus.

I don't know how expensive it will be to replace the dual lithium batteries in the mk2 version. Fortunately the batteries should last a couple of years.
These amps are starting to interest me more and more. Just wondering can you run both delay and reverb on different channels simultaneously. If yes, can you run different delay times on those different channels?

For example...

Channel One (guitar), delay at 120ms with one repeat and 50% mix level (for slapback effect), with a hall reverb

Channel Two (vocal), delay at 480ms, with a few repeats and 10% mix level. with a plate reverb
Old 11-07-2019, 01:10 AM

No, the delay is an insert and you can only choose one channel for the insert. The reverb and chorus are aux send effects.

You can do another aux send effect send and return though.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
No, the delay is an insert and you can only choose one channel for the insert. The reverb and chorus are aux send effects.

You can do another aux send effect send and return though.

I've never heard of putting a delay in an insert*, although I'm sure people do. It would make it hard to control the mix level whereas if the thing could go to a few channels and you could adjust the send/return for the delay that would be great. So what you're saying is, you have to pick whether the delay goes to your voice or guitar (assuming you are only using two channels). If so, this is really a sorely lacking mixer. Other digital mixers like the Bose and QSC are light years ahead of them of this. I also remember that they don't have any tap tempo function. I know that the guys at Elite Acoustics are listening to user suggestions for future software upgrades, so maybe you guys can put a bug in their ears so to say! I really would love to have a grab and go battery amp like this, but delay is an important effect for me and if I have to bring other gear to get it, it kind of defeats the purpose.

*https://www.audio-issues.com/music-m...-mixing-music/
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Elite Acoustics D6-8 trade in deal!

Yes, people usually do delay as an aux send effect. With the D6-8 (and other Elite Acoustics mixers), you choose the channel you want the delay to be assigned to. It works out for me because I am really only interested in putting delay on my guitar. For other uses it might be a limitation.

My guess is that they did it that way in order to have reverb added to delays rather than have the repeats sound dry.

Both the reverb and chorus are aux send type effects that can be sent to from multiple channels.

Last edited by lkingston; 11-07-2019 at 08:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification