The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM

Default How much to install nut and saddle?

Just got this nut and saddle from Bob Colossi. Good quality pieces, by the way.

The 2 places I asked around me quoted north of $200 to install. Is that about what it costs? When I asked Bob, he said it should be under $100. I happen to be in NY Metro so maybe that’s what it is?

Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

That seems quite high. Really no reason you can't do the saddle yourself.

To do the final fit on the nut really shouldn't cost much.

Ok, maybe not "quite high," but high. It does look like the nut still needs to be slotted, too.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post

The 2 places I asked around me quoted north of $200 to install. Is that about what it costs? When I asked Bob, he said it should be under $100. I happen to be in NY Metro so maybe that’s what it is?

My guess would be, in NYC $125 to $150 if the saddle is properly compensated already. If not then $200 is a bit hight but not out of the ball park. Try NY guitar repair - Evan Gluck on the upper west side. Does good work and reasonable prices https://www.newyorkguitarrepair.com/
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-30-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:53 PM

Yes. The saddle is contoured and compensated so I could do the final shaving myself. So the bulk of the work will be with the nut. Slotting and shaping. $200+ doesn’t seem exorbitant but hoping someone here can recommend a good place in NY Metro that will do a good job and save me few bucks.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. The saddle is contoured and compensated so I could do the final shaving myself. So the bulk of the work will be with the nut. Slotting and shaping. $200+ doesn’t seem exorbitant but hoping someone here can recommend a good place in NY Metro that will do a good job and save me few bucks.
I edited my prior post to suggest
https://www.newyorkguitarrepair.com/
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-30-2019, 09:30 PM

I'm not sure why you bought the nut and saddle from Bob if you were going to have a shop install them?

As someone else said, you should be able to fit the saddle yourself. Nuts? I don't touch them, but to have one of the local techs make a bone nut from scratch, including the nut material itself is under $100. [I don't touch nuts myself as I don't want to invest in the tools as infrequently as I would need them.] I'm in Chicago. So while not as crazy expensive a place as NYC is, the work in NY Metro shouldn't cost that much more.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-31-2019, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Guitar Repair Services... Bartle Avenue in a Scotch Plains NJ.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:32 AM

I do not understand why anyone would purchase a half finished bone nut or saddle.

A luthier typically can supply the piece of bone and shape it for the same price your buying it for.

Example - Nut, i supply the bone, cut / shape and file slots to height for 70 dollars, if a customer brings a piece of bone along it will cost them 60 dollars provided the bone they supply is adequate for the job, same with a saddle.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Yeah I never really understand that either. If you buy them 'premade' they require work to fit them properly anyway so you may as well just have a tech do it and do it right. I imagine NYC is substantially higher cost of living then where I live but $200 does seem high. I charge $50 for a nut plus materials and a new set of strings. $40 for a saddle and materials.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:12 PM

I had a local luthier (yes, he builds guitars) make me 2 new bone nuts for a guitar.
One nut for normal gauge strings and the other nut for Nashville tuning strings I supplied.
He supplied the nuts.
During set up the original bone saddle snapped in half so he made a new saddle as well.

Total cost US$138.00

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:

That´s fair or even cheap. Particularily for being in a big city like NY. The costs of PLEK setup in my Little home Town is approx. ~220 US$.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
That´s fair or even cheap. Particularily for being in a big city like NY. The costs of PLEK setup in my Little home Town is approx. ~220 US$.
Yeh, plek setup is a scam IMO, the cost you pay for the setup is reflective of the obscene crazy price of the cnc machine and its ongoing lets call it "franchise" cost.
Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 11-12-2019 at 04:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair