The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-25-2020, 04:10 AM

Default Anything tune similar?

Hi all,
Just being lazy but as a purely hobbyist on the guitar, I think I have just managed to get my head round Classical Gas. Now just need to perfect it.
I was wondering if anyone could point me towards tunes of a similar standard which I could have a go at? Looking around the forum, its obvious from what I read that I am way out of touch with some music.
I am (trying) to be just a finger picker due to my dreadful voice.
I quite like blues, folk, rock and some pop stuff if its interesting to play.
Any ideas gratefuly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:39 AM

Elton John's Funeral For A Friend (Am) should keep you involved for a minute. I know it's not originally written for guitar but it's very manageable as such. You will need to interpret it here and there, as creative license allows, but it can come together.

Otherwise, I might suggest to you to take the songs you find enjoyable for their melodic value and render them as instrumentals. I do this frequently because, like you, I'm engaged by instrumentals but can find few as engaging as Classical Gas.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

I find YouTube usually has guitar tutorials of most instrumental songs I want to learn. A couple of times I have purchased music notation and TAB, usually for only a few dollars, when the song wasn't available elsewhere.

It often seems necessary to take several videos and combine ideas to come up with a version I like best.

Start with melodies you really like and are willing to perfect.

There are lots I've found that fit well on the guitar.

Don't rule out classical. There are some beautiful melodies there, too, and it will help with your technique in playing other styles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell