The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Line 6 Helix: Is it all that and a box of chocolates?

I've sat on this article through Winter NAMM to see how things worked out but it is now ready to view! This is a fairly narrow review of Helix, now that it has become mature, asking whether it is worth it to update to it from the previous generation of modelers. You can read more, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:26 PM

Thanks Bob.

I am actually considering the Line 6 Pod Go. I am getting a surprisingly good tone from my Joyo American Sound pedal coupled with a zoom multi-fx, but I am ready to upgrade my acoustic preamp too, so i can add a boost channel for playing leads as well as adding effects.

Since a GOOD acoustic preamp with these features will run me $200-300 anyways, the Pod Go seems like it might shorten and "smallify" my gear chain.

I am not unhappy with my setup, but do notice some extraneous noise and latency occasionally from the Zoom -

Electric: Guitar > Zoom G!on > Joyo American sound > Soundcraft > Eon 610's
Acoustic: Guitar > Behringer ADI21 > Soundcraft > Eon 610

I have made a deliberate decision that this is the year to make my gear and my music more "professional" quality.

Any thoughts about the Pod Go for a chap like me that thinks the full Helix board is both too big and too complex for his needs?

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-24-2020, 03:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi, Roy!

The POD Go contains the majority of the Helix amp, cab, and FX models, all presented at the same quality as the Helix. I found the Helix-gen models to be a significant quality jump from the previous generation - good enough to justify moving into the POD Go at $449.99. You are only limited in the number of effects you can apply at a given time. There are I/O limitations BUT the stereo, 1/4" functions as either balanced or unbalanced., With the balanced you can go directly to the mixer if you choose. So, if you aren't interested in wading through manuals, the POD Go might be the machine for you.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-25-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I think it probably is, Bob. I sold almost all my pedals and bought the HX Effects a couple of years ago. I use it for acoustic and electric gigs and have custom IRs loaded in, thanks to the kindness of Cuki.

I chose it for budget reasons, but will be selling it to get the HX Stomp or maybe the LT. I thought I would need the scribble strips, but I do almost all adjusting on my Mac, rather than on the pedal. Being able to split the signal is fantastic, as is adding an effects loop anywhere in the chain. If money were not the issue, I'd have the Helix.

Great tones, I hear the stereo pre is fantastic for acoustic instruments (it isn't on the HX Effects), being able to run the IR on its own path with its own eq and blend is excellent. I can get close enough to Strymon type tones for swells etc on electric. I love it.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Cocobologist

In a word, yes. I sold my full pedalboard and all my amps. The user interface on the unit is a breeze to get around, and the editing software is even easier. The depth of options is mind boggling, and they regularly add more. Quality of modeling is absolutely top shelf, and it accepts IRs readily if you want to go down that path.

Personally, I've found a couple amps that ring my bell -- Deluxe Reverb for clean Fender tones. While Line 6's Pod and its variants were known for their overdrive, they never sounded good clean to me (digital fizzy is what I heard). Helix demonstrates none of those issues -- Just really nice and accurate representation of the signal.

For the dirt side, there are lots of options - boutiquey stuff (including a Dumble Overdrive Special), I lean more toward the Mesa stuff. They have a Lonestar model that is just so sweet...

For direct to DAW recording, I bought their Native Plug In. All the options of the hardware, but utilizes the processing power of your computer. Nice option.

I highly recommend the Helix.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars