The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-16-2020, 06:02 AM

Default American Acoustasonic Stratocaster

https://youtu.be/NEWLD55ajtI

What do you guys think of this and the telecaster version?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:20 AM

It might be of some interest to people who are into amplified acoustics and electric guitars, the several demos I saw were demoed with it plugged in for the acoustic going straight to an amp or one went to a computer and was output from that.

It sounded weak to me unplugged and remains to the people who are in depth knowledgeable about acoustic qualities to judge whether it's acceptable for the engineered, simulated acoustic settings, IMHO you no longer have tone manipulation specifically with string weight and type of metal. The demos I saw on the acoustic side the players did not use much in terms of right hand technique that I saw.

This is another perspective on it and the guitar is demoed at abput 6:00 showcasing it in a band setting with loops - if I was interested in this style I think it would be very useful in more than one way and I'd be pretty keen on trying it out.
https://youtu.be/o486ycVymdc

Last edited by slide496; 01-16-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:48 AM

I like it at $400 or under, I'd never pay the price they are asking.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:03 AM

How about the Taylor t5 and t5z?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM

I haven't heard the Strat, but have heard a couple of people play the Tele. I was not impressed. First, I don't like the design (purely personal choice, I know), but second, I don't think the sound was all that good. Yes, it was somewhat acoustic-y, kind of like a cheap piezo system in an acoustic guitar. I'm sure it could be dialed in better with a an Aura or some other tone shaper, but for $2000, I don't see the practicality of these guitars.

The Taylors, which I have played and heard demo-ed and played in arenas are 'trick ponies' to me. Ideal if your are in a band and don't want to be switching guitars between electric and acoustic during a song. Hook them up with an A/B system so you can go from DI to the PA (for the acoustic sound) and into a nice electric guitar amp (for the electric sound), and they work well - once you learn how to adjust the pickups selector and blend controls.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

While they no doubt will sell, and definitely will appeal to some . (I would guess a gig'ing musician who is trying to pair down from hualing an acoustic and an electric to gigs may find it a reasonable compromise) and it certainly provides a number of tonal options to play with. For me personally it is too much compromise.

I will simply say it is much more "a little of both worlds" than "the best of both worlds"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 PM

I think the Taylor t5/z is more of an electric than acoustic? Actually the electric sounds appeal to me .. sounds like a nice jazz hollow body with a modern quality.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:56 PM

As much as I am a fan of Fender, they're not for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:03 AM

I've preordered one of these and I'm pretty excited.

Every youtube vid I've seen it sounds fantastic. I'll make a final judgement when I have it in my hands of course.

I think it's a great guitar if you have the use cases for it. I'll describe mine:
  • I play for my own pleasure at home and jam round a friend's house once every week or two. I sometimes record myself, just so I can play it back and listen, and for the experience of trying to record it (you'd be surprised how impossible it is to do a perfect take if you've never tried!!). Because I don't have a quiet home studio - I have a front bedroom right next to the road and small children arguing in the next room - I tend to plug in to record not mic up.
  • I own an electric (Gibson LP) that I never ever play, but I can't quite bring myself to be without an electric yet. I don't even own an electric amp any more, though I can plug it into my computer, use an amp modeler and output that to my acoustic amp.
  • I own a hummingbird that I love and play most of the time, but it's big, expensive and not convenient to transport so I don't take it out jamming unless I'm driving. It also has no electronics so I tend not to use it to record.
  • I own a GS Mini. It is small, light, cheaper and has fantastic electronics, so I use it jam and record. It is also more comfortable to use on the sofa, but I wish it sounded more like my hummingbird at times, and at other times I'm glad it's completely different because it does some things better than the hummingbird (esp fingerpicking and arpeggiated chord sequences, as where the hummingbird is the ultimate strummer for me)
  • My wife wishes (loudly at times) that I had something quieter to play in the evenings so I've been eyeing a Yamaha silent guitar or similar.

Could I be without the hummingbird? No. But I've been toying with selling the other two anyway due to lack of use... it's just that they have utility for me that the hummingbird doesn't. Not that i couldn't lug it over for a jam.. it's just easier to take the mini. Not that I couldn't mic it up and record it, its just easier to use the mini.

sooo a fender acoustasonic then...
  • If I sold my Les Paul and GS mini I could get close to a swap. Within a few hundred £ of one.
  • I'd then have a quiet sofa guitar
  • and a light, easily transported jamming guitar which does acoustic and electric.
  • It's a portable, comfortable acoustic that can be switchable to sound like a dreadnought, a parlor, etc so I can get great strummy or picky tones at jams
  • I'd still have an electric but without having to feel guilty about owning something I don't use much - and one that I can plug straight to an acoustic amp and still get overdriven tones. I might even start to play electric again a bit.

It's kinda every guitar I own in one portable, easily recordable package that'll work well with my battery-powered Orange Crush 30 amp. I can imagine having every possible base covered with the Strat and Hummingbird. All I really need is one real acoustic that gets 80% of my playtime, and one super flexible guitar that has every other scenario covered, even if it is a compromise in some ways.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Tom Anderson Crowdster's are **** near perfect. I've played them side by side with the T5's and never gave a T5 another thought. I haven't had a chance to play the new Fender but, hopefully, they've had plenty of time to get it right. Should be no excuses at this point.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post

Every youtube vid I've seen it sounds fantastic. I'll make a final judgement when I have it in my hands of course.

I think it's a great guitar if you have the use cases for it. I'll describe mine:
  • I play for my own pleasure at home and jam round a friend's house once every week or two. I sometimes record myself, just so I can play it back and listen, and for the experience of trying to record it (you'd be surprised how impossible it is to do a perfect take if you've never tried!!). Because I don't have a quiet home studio - I have a front bedroom right next to the road and small children arguing in the next room - I tend to plug in to record not mic up.
  • I own an electric (Gibson LP) that I never ever play, but I can't quite bring myself to be without an electric yet. I don't even own an electric amp any more, though I can plug it into my computer, use an amp modeler and output that to my acoustic amp.
  • I own a hummingbird that I love and play most of the time, but it's big, expensive and not convenient to transport so I don't take it out jamming unless I'm driving. It also has no electronics so I tend not to use it to record.
  • I own a GS Mini. It is small, light, cheaper and has fantastic electronics, so I use it jam and record. It is also more comfortable to use on the sofa, but I wish it sounded more like my hummingbird at times, and at other times I'm glad it's completely different because it does some things better than the hummingbird (esp fingerpicking and arpeggiated chord sequences, as where the hummingbird is the ultimate strummer for me)
  • My wife wishes (loudly at times) that I had something quieter to play in the evenings so I've been eyeing a Yamaha silent guitar or similar.

Could I be without the hummingbird? No. But I've been toying with selling the other two anyway due to lack of use... it's just that they have utility for me that the hummingbird doesn't. Not that i couldn't lug it over for a jam.. it's just easier to take the mini. Not that I couldn't mic it up and record it, its just easier to use the mini.

• If I sold my Les Paul and GS mini I could get close to a swap. Within a few hundred £ of one.
  • and a light, easily transported jamming guitar which does acoustic and electric.
  • It's a portable, comfortable acoustic that can be switchable to sound like a dreadnought, a parlor, etc so I can get great strummy or picky tones at jams
  • I'd still have an electric but without having to feel guilty about owning something I don't use much - and one that I can plug straight to an acoustic amp and still get overdriven tones. I might even start to play electric again a bit.

It's kinda every guitar I own in one portable, easily recordable package that'll work well with my battery-powered Orange Crush 30 amp. I can imagine having every possible base covered with the Strat and Hummingbird. All I really need is one real acoustic that gets 80% of my playtime, and one super flexible guitar that has every other scenario covered, even if it is a compromise in some ways.
Usually, I am an enabler. In this case - I'm going to offer some reasons AGAINST then FOR the acoustisonic Strat.

AGAINST

*It's really cheap. LOL. It's a lot of coin for a niche guitar.

*It will be quieter than the GS Mini without an amp, thereby necessitating the need to bring your amp anyways.

*I think you could find a small bodied 0,00/000/OM that sounds great both acoustically and plugged in.Or just acoustic and add a nice pickup system.

*I think a 1 pickup guitar might be pretty limited in the tone dept.

* If you want the Strat to sound like an acoustic and electric you would need to buy an amp modeler pedal since you don't have an electric amp. A Joyo American Sound or AC Tone are both excellent though and only $40 each.

*Lastly, if you sold the GS and the LP - I think you could have use the money to buy an electric you would play and a smaller bodied acoustic that would satisfy you.

FOR:

*It's new and does have that as a cool factor.

*It does acoustic sounds better than most hybrids.

*If you have GAS for one, neither logic or reason need apply. LOL

I honestly think you should ditch the LP & GS and get a new electric you really will play and electric amp. Replace the GS with a larger guitar with better projection.

In your case, I would sell the LP 1st (you ain't using it anyways) and look for a goo 2nd acoustic. When you have found it, acquire e new electric and amp. My .02

Either way, if you get one - do a review so those of us that can't afford one can live vicariously through you .

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-21-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post

I have been playing Martins for over 40 years, and play gigs mostly in the warm months at wineries. My go to for the past 8 years has been a GPCPA1, which has great sound. Today I traded a couple of Martins for an Acoustasonic. My thought was I could use it for some of the rock songs I play that have more of an electric vibe to them. After playing it for a big chunk of the day, I think I can imagine a time when it is my sole gig guitar - it’s that good! It has exceeded my expectations.

I still have my original ‘73 D-18 I will never part with, as well as my GPCPA1 and a Breedlove Oregon 25th Anniversary Concert CE, so I’m not swearing off acoustics, I like them a lot, but this Acoustasonic Telecaster is a game changer in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Cocobologist

While not my primary instrument, I regularly gigged with a T5 for 12 or so years. I can tell you from experience that while the acoustic tone may be disappointing to the performer, the audience really never notices, and it has zero impact on their ability to enjoy the performance.

I attribute this difference in experience to the fact that the player's ear is expecting the acoustic/non-amplified properties of the guitar and feeling its vibration against their body, providing all those subtle cues that they're playing an acoustic. Not getting those cues from the instrument is disappointing and negatively impacts their perception of the tone. The audience only experiences the tone of the pickup - None of the other niceties.

While the Taylor T5 is strictly a hybrid acoustic/electric (and a great one at that...), the Fender Acoustasonic adds the electric modeling so it can emulate a slightly overdriven amp. Interesting, but I wonder if you can get access to the electric pickup without the modeling.

Whichever the case, If I was looking for a stage acoustic to use on a few songs in a set, I would not hesitate to grab the Fender. IMO, it fits the intended purpose well.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-31-2020, 06:04 AM

I tried the telecaster version .. found myself playing mostly at position 3 (acoustic with body sensor). But I have an acoustic with rare earth blend that sounds better to me.
The electric sounds weren’t very inspiring to me.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
Tom Anderson Crowdster's are **** near perfect. I've played them side by side with the T5's and never gave a T5 another thought. I haven't had a chance to play the new Fender but, hopefully, they've had plenty of time to get it right. Should be no excuses at this point.
Crowdster is very nice, but twice the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars