The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: I like artificially worn guitars.
Yes 5 9.26%
No 36 66.67%
Don't care either way 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2019, 07:38 PM

There's actually a Fender signature model for Rory Gallagher's strat. Here's the real one followed by the signature. Rory's a fantastic player and that's a great guitar but I wouldn't pay that premium for it.

Signature:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
There's actually a Fender signature model for Rory Gallagher's strat. Here's the real one followed by the signature. Rory's a fantastic player and that's a great guitar but I wouldn't pay that premium for it.

Signature:
Awesome wood grain on the upper lower bout/ beautiful guitar.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:30 AM

I don’t understand the allure of artificially age instruments at all.

I collect vintage instruments and have others that I’ve owned for decades since I bought them new. I take good care of my instruments but most of them have the patina of age including some scratches and dings - all well earned but cringe worthy every one. Why on earth would you pay extra to fake that?

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-22-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
I don’t understand the allure of artificially age instruments at all...... Why on earth would you pay extra to fake that?
I don't either and wouldn't pay extra for it. But I also don't get the intense aversion to them around here either. It's just a LOOK, a style. I don't particularly prefer sunburst either, but I've owned a couple because they were great guitars. A guitar can play and sound great and it can look old or new and I'll either like it or not. I have a roadworn tele that looks just fine to me - my three other guitars are all new and they look fine to me too. I wouldn't pay extra for a relic look either, but I wouldn't not buy a guitar I loved because of it either.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I voted no. I think that this is about my upbringing - I wasn't brought up in poverty, but my parents were, and so they "imprinted" me to take great care of whatever I had, toys, shoes (always polished) and I was in big trouble if my clothes got damaged (especially my school uniform).

That has carried through to my old age. I clean and polish my instruments every time I change strings, (partly because I enjoy the ritual), and I probably have some clothes older than some AGF members!

I would buy a "road worn" instrument, and a few dings and dents don't worry me overly (well not after the first one!), but I don't really "get" the artificially aged thing - it seems a bit, well, pretentious, like you are trying to imply that you are a road warrior, when I'm just a "weekend warrior" as a Texan acquaintance once said to me.

Exactly the same for me........especially the part about cleaning and polishing the guitars.....exactly the same.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Exactly the same for me........especially the part about cleaning and polishing the guitars.....exactly the same.
I voted "no", BUT me too. If I really liked the way a guitar played I would consider one with a worn look , But I would not specifically buy one for the road worn look ( I figure I look road worn enough already )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-22-2019, 10:07 AM

I voted no, but if the tone and feel blew me away, I might purchase. But I honestly don’t have the urge to even give it a trial. I’m near 71 years of age and appreciate many things that have shown age, but still perform their function admirably (including my wife lol)! I’m relatively new in my guitar journey and my skills are limited, so, I don’t think I could pull off a “faux” finish. With that said, I have no problem with anyone thinking otherwise. Play guitar, be happy!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Voted no. But although I wouldn't buy a guitar for it, I would not necessarily dismiss a guitar because if it.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:43 AM

There are a lot of folks who distain the idea of a Reliced guitar, yet spend a fortune on pro gear that will never see a real gig in action. Funny that...
Old 12-14-2019, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
There are a lot of folks who distain the idea of a Reliced guitar, yet spend a fortune on pro gear that will never see a real gig in action. Funny that...
mmm, disdain is a strong term. People answered whether they liked the idea or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pro-gear" but if you mean high cost instruments, then I find your objection to folk having them when they don't choose to perform, is rather strange.

Many of the finest and most valuable vintage instruments that turn up in places like Gruhns or Carters were in good condition because they weren't gigged to death, or we cared for by their users.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:28 AM

Default Road Worn or Worn Out

Silly, it was a comment that folks who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

On a side note, the origin of the Reliced look has its roots back to the early 60's. For some reason the lacquer that Fender used on their electric instruments was very brittle and would flake off the instruments easily. I had a friend with a 62 P bass that looked like that. He eventually sanded off the finish and shellac'd the body.

The instruments from that era are considered to be some of the best sounding Fenders, and it has been speculated that the broken finishes might have some bearing on it.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 01-15-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Polls are closed so here is a parting thought

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars