The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 01:25 PM

Lightbulb Martin or Eastman?

Hello,

Considering buying an acoustic guitar priced within 1,800-2,200 CAD. Looking for good quality, tone, and value for price.

Which of the 2 brands, Martin or Eastman, would be recommended? Any models in particular worth looking into?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Both Martin and Eastman do dreads very well, although Eastman does it at a considerably lower price point. You decide...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Between the two there is a difference in tone. Personally, I have gone through a number of ultra expensive Martins only to figure out that I do not care for the Martin rumble or growl, as some call it. An awful lot of people sell their guitars after some period of time. Please keep that in mind as far as price drop (expense) and salability.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

You'll likely get a lot of passionate recommendations on this one!

My two cents...Do you want more bass, or more of a chimey tone? If you like more bass, Martin typically does that better according to most. I personally have tried a number of Martins and a number of Eastmans, and I tend to think the Martins sounded too muddy/bassy for my preference. But I don't really play any bluegrass or flatpicking stuff...more fingerstyle and nuanced chords, and I tend to like the way Eastman sounds in this genre.

Eastman has really improved in the QC area recently, but I think that Eastman still tends to have more hand-built processes compared to Martin's more automated or dialed-in production standards. Martin on average will probably be overall better in quality control on average.

Finally, if made in China bothers you at all, then you probably will never be able to un-see that in an Eastman. Bothers me not the least...but lots of people have strong opinions on this.

It would be great if you could try a new Eastman E10D versus a used Martin D18 if you want Mahogany, or a new E8D Eastman versus a used D28 Martin. Or you can get maybe into a new thermocured top Eastman if that interests you. But I think their straight sitka topped guitars sound better than the thermocured or some of the Adirondack tops. Again...personal preference.

Ideally you can get your hands on a couple of versions and play side by side. You'll know when you know! But you are into good brands in either case I think, so have some fun with this decision!
Old 11-06-2023, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Martin is made in the USA, by American workers...Eastman, not so much. For me, the choice is clear. It does bother me that the Eastman is made in China...but even if it wasn't, I much prefer the Martin "traditional" tone, versus the Eastman's more modern tone.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:24 PM

I once played a open mike, my Eastman was in the case till I was ready to play, did my 3 songs, put it in the case and returned to my seat.

One of the other performers who is a "only a Martin will do", said to me that guitar sounds great, what model Martin is it.

Draw your own conclusions.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I think others covered it, but maybe the tone should guide you. Whether in mahogany or rosewood, the Martin sounds like a Martin. The Eastman doesn't sound like the Martin. It is not as deep in the bass. Personally I do not like the Martin Modified Low Oval neck. The Eastman's are a little fuller. For that price point you might want to look at an Eastman E20D-MR-TC - torrefied Adirondack/Madagascar rosewood back and sides. They might be a little higher than your budget in CAD vs USD. I think for the quality of woods, tone, playability and value the E8D-TC is a lot of guitar.

A couple of minor points:
1) New models from Eastman will all have torrefied tops, whether it is Sitka or Adirondack.
2) My understanding is that due to the Bourgeois influence, Eastman dread bodies are slightly smaller than the corresponding Martin D-14 body.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvc View Post
Hello,

Considering buying an acoustic guitar priced within 1,800-2,200 CAD. Looking for good quality, tone, and value for price.

Which of the 2 brands, Martin or Eastman, would be recommended? Any models in particular worth looking into?

Thanks!

I've seen a few posts from you today asking for comparisons. OM v. Dread, Best tonewood for a guitar and now Eastman v. Martin. I understand that it can be a bit confusing buying your first decent guitar and getting info online can be helpful but nothing beats going to a guitar store and trying a few things out in person.

Dreads are great, as are 000's. Matin makes nice guitars, so does Eastman. There are a number of excellent woods out there and most builders use all of the classic ones.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:29 PM

If you dot like the "Martin growl" or whatever they call it, try a Larrivee. Beats an Eastman every time for me.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:29 PM

Another vote for larrivee right here
I love Martin’s much is the next guy
I also love Taylor’s
I wouldn’t really consider in Eastman
Not because you’re not well made guitars
But for me, I would spend the money on something that’s made in America
You can’t go wrong with a Martin or a larrivee
Or Taylor for that matter
Good luck in your search
Old 11-06-2023, 06:43 PM

In m experience, the clear choice is Martin. The Eastmans I've played sound stiff and sterile, while the Martins sound warm, complex, and musical. In my experience (having owned 50+ acoustic guitars), many companies try to mimic the Martin tone but nobody does it better.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:12 PM

Owned a few of both. Still have the Martins, don't have the Eastmans.

The Eastman's (both E-20 series) were nice guitars, but the build quality wasn't there compared to other instruments I owned, including some issues with intonation (bridge placement) and neck angle, as well as fit/finish issues. The tone was a bit stiff on one, but it was brand new. The older one sounded much more open and responsive.

The Martin's did cost a lot more for what is a similar-looking product, but they have better fit and finish (not flawless but better), and for me personally the tone is more to my liking. Just depends on what you like.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:35 PM

You have to go play them and not rely on anyone's recommendation. Their recommendation is only an opinion.

I've played Eastmans in the store but I've never owned one. They are nice guitars. Personally I would look for a used Martin in mint condition. But that's just my opinion. You're not considering Iris, but for the price range you mentioned you could easily get a used Iris. I would take that over the Eastman as well.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

For my ears, the Eastman E20OM is an ok guitar, worth what it costs, and also not a steal. Beyond tone, Eastman offers a chunkier neck and taller frets, both are deal breakers for me. I didn't bother to try the mahogany E10OM the day I trialed their rosewood option against my om-28 because I know I'm even pickier about a mahogany axe than I am about rosewood.
If the neck works for you, it could be exactly the right instrument.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:51 AM

Eastman for me - but only because of playability. I love the Martin tone, but really can't stand their Modified Low Oval neck profile they put on almost every guitar, much too thin; except for their slope shoulders (also very thin necks), Eastman has nice "mid-size-plus" necks on their guitars.

Apart from these two brands, I would also look at higher end Yamahas, like the FG5 - easily on par with Martin models in the same price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, choosing a guitar, eastman, martin