The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 11:21 AM

Yes. I really enjoy my Hummingbird
Old 09-28-2023, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

When I was young in the 70’s, I never cared for the Hummingbird pick guards and the clown burst cherry sunbursts. Now that they have mellowed the sunburst, the whole thing looks way better. I always liked the sound, now I like the look as well. I could see getting one, but I will have to save up…..

+
Old 09-28-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
I really want a hummingbird. I should buy a D18. I love the sound of a D18 over a hummingbird, prefer the neck on a D18 with the longer scale length and wider nut. Everyone tells me to get the D18, but I really want a hummingbird. What is going on!
I have, and will no doubt continue to, want many guitars that I know are ultimately not coming home with me. I'd like to have them all.

Your post is a bit of a conundrum; I select guitars for their sound and feel - and you have clearly expressed your preference for the D-18 in those areas.

In your shoes I'd consider shopping for quite a while with the idea that I would purchase a good value used D-18 and then add the used Gibson. Maybe you'd have to save a while between purchases. There are lots of good D-18s out there and many used examples available. In my experience the Gibsons are considerably more variable in quality control, but an enjoyable, unhurried journey through a pile of used guitars over many months can be a fine way to spend some time.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-28-2023, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I too have wanted a Hummingbird for a long time. But every time I tried one in person, my reaction was "meh," kind of dull sounding and not particularly loud. And the necks are on the small side for my hands. The problem is, I compare them to loud, bluegrass oriented guitars in my stable or others like the Martins hanging on the wall next to them so of course they seem weak and anemic. It's been said to never try a Gibson right after playing a bunch of Martins and I would agree.

The Bird however does one thing really well, and that is to harmonize with a player's vocals. When you get a good one, it can sound like 2 or 3 instruments accompanying a singer, and that's really awesome.
I'm with Brendan...never played a Hummingbird I wanted to buy. Almost every D-18 I could have taken home. But this isn't about him or me so you gotta do what suits you. I'm a bigger fan of Gibson's AJ, J-35/45/200 models myself. Wait...2 year old thread?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-28-2023, 02:15 PM

Every guitar player should own a good hummingbird at some point. Even if it’s not a permanent companion.

P.s. this is a long scale bird

Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 11-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Default Or an FG-300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The answer seems simple - buy the D-18 and swap the pick-guard.

If you want a whole guitar attached to the knock off pickguard, consider a Yamaha FG 300. A fraction of the cost of the hummingbird, but with the sort of aesthetic allure that might satisfy your jones.

And you know what? It doesn't sound half bad.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=HogsNRoses;6828569]My suggestion: Try Hummingbirds until you find one that plays for you like a D18.

IMHO, music is more heart than head, so it's important to pick an instrument that you connect with at an emotional level. Reading your descriptions, it sounds like your head says D18 and your heart says Hummingbird.

I think this is the ultimate answer. You can connect with a certain model on an emotional level while you connect with another with your ears. Remember that every one of those models ever made will still look and the same. That's what defines that particular model. Therefore, if that model emotionally appeals to you, every guitar ever made in that model will be emotionally appealing. However, since each piece of wood is unique, every guitar in that same model will sound slightly different. Most will sound pretty similar but a few will be real duds and a few will sound amazing to you. Play all the guitars of a certain model(s) that turn you on till you find one that sounds exceptional.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 11-11-2023, 02:22 PM

Get a dove. Or an SJ-200.

Or a hummingbird. Maybe all three.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-11-2023, 06:36 PM

Default always

IMHP: Rule number one:
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get the guitar that chooses you. It looks like the bird is the word...
Old 11-11-2023, 08:35 PM

I’ve played a few Hummingbirds because I always thought they were the coolest looking guitar ever. But when I played them, I really lost enthusiasm for them.

My brother had a newer Epiphone vintage style Hummingbird that he really liked, but I’ve never played it.

I really would like a J-45 someday.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18, gibson, hummingbird, martin