The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 08:23 AM

Default New top line Guitar - scratch - your opinion

Hello,

I bought new Furch Vintage 3, at home discovered scratch dent at 15th fret in koa binding.
Response from factory is that it's hand brushed and because of it it's very hard to finish all in 100% perfect finish.
I own another Furch which is perfect. I guess it's tough with so thin 1mm wood to brush and bind. I might understand it.
Sound is incredible though.

I just wonder what are your experience? Are all new top end guitars clear in finish?
Do you accept or return?

It's really expensive stuff, that's why the doubts. I might be too picky probably.

Let me know,
Thanks
Old 03-14-2024, 08:35 AM
Runaway Tomato

If the scratch is the only issue, I would keep the instrument. However, does the scratch hint that there might be more problems with it that have not popped up yet? That would be my question.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-14-2024, 08:36 AM
Runaway Tomato

BTW — Welcome to the AgF!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-14-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

From what I see it's more of a small divot than a scratch. It's unfortunate but it wouldn't bother me. Play on sir.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:54 AM

Although it probably doesn’t cause any structural issue, paying good money for any product with cosmetic issues is disappointing.

Possibly contact the seller and see if a drop in price is in order.

In the end, your opinion is the only one that counts. If it is unsettling to you, a return may be in order!

Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I doubt that I would even notice that. Play on and enjoy your beautiful guitar.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-14-2024, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Looks like a portion of the binding edge flaked off. That might bother me on a guitar that is presumably pretty high dollar as I imagine the furch is. If it flaked off at the factory then it’s bad qc. I would guess if it had happened after leaving the factory you would have found that piece in the case. If it was simply a piece of binding that was used to bind the fingerboard and was flawed from the beginning, that’s not a good look for Furch.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

If something like that happened on a Taylor or a Collings that I just received I would probably have customer service of either place take care of me immediately. Not that it’s a big issue - it’s not in the grand scheme of things - but paying a good sum of $ for a high quality instruments comes with inherent expectations. I would definitely ask for a discount or some sort of recompense
Old 03-14-2024, 09:00 AM

Looks like a fairly large chip of wood out of the binding edge. I probably wouldn't be happy that the retailer (or seller) didn't disclose that for approval before it was shipped.

Do all Furchs have fretboards that don't lie flat against the top plate?
Old 03-14-2024, 09:02 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I'd send it back or get a discount. I'm not normally fussy, but once you see it, you can't "unsee" it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It wouldn’t bother me but I am a bit surprised that it got through quality control. It’s in a place where it isn’t really going to affect your fretting hand. I would just think of it as a small, distinguishing character trait of your guitar that will be joined by a few other dings and marks as you play and enjoy a wonderful instrument.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-14-2024, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I think it could be drop filled with a bit of cyanoacrylate - 10 years from now it’ll be the least of your issues -
Old 03-14-2024, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Nope...would not bother me....but if it bothers you...Thats the issue.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:46 AM

My opinion? If I rejected guitars for that, I would not own ANY.

What is your Tool to Furniture ratio? IOW where do you lie on the spectrum between appreciation of a fine tool, and fine furniture?

(My own ratio is something like 99:1. Everyone is different.)

This question is definitely in the realm of furniture/wood art. You bought a piece of wood art and it has a visual flaw.
This does not reflect on its value as a tool.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-14-2024, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Default New top line Guitar - scratch - your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
My opinion? If I rejected guitars for that, I would not own ANY.

What is your Tool to Furniture ratio? IOW where do you lie on the spectrum between appreciation of a fine tool, and fine furniture?

(My own ratio is something like 99:1. Everyone is different.)

This question is definitely in the realm of furniture/wood art. You bought a piece of wood art and it has a visual flaw.
This does not reflect on its value as a tool.

Guitars are tools, but tools that are crafted with a high level of care and precision, and are also works of art to be appreciated. They’re not rough hewn blunt objects used to crush berries or chip away stone, they’re a melding of craftsmanship and woodworking.

I would say vast majority of the people here appreciate a well crafted instrument, and I assume the original poster spent in the neighborhood of US$3000 for this instrument. For that, I would expect this tool to be precisely presented, as the price point dictates. Does this imperfection inherently affect its performance as an instrument? No. is it something that doesn’t match the expectations of the purchase of a tool that is both a musical instrument and a work of art? To me, yes.

This isn’t a screwdriver we are talking about here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion