The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2023, 06:34 AM

Question New (old) Matin Guitar Case question

New guy here. Hello all!

I have a 1972 Martin D12-35 dreadnaught that I bought new when I was a young Airman. Unfortunately the case was stolen years ago. I recently bought (from EBay) a vintage Martin hard case, just like the one that originally came with my guitar. The cavity for the guitar body appears to be the right size and shape. The seller indicated that a D-35 had been in the case originally, which I think should be the same size as the 12-string I have? Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the D35 and D12-35 were the same size, just different neck neck, bridge, etc?

Anyway, the guitar fits into the space at the top, but will only go down into the space about 1 inch, then it meets resistance (mostly at the upper part of the body) and I can't get the guitar to go fully into the space.

I don't know if it's just that the case is the wrong case for the D!2-35 (is the D35 actually smaller than the D12-35?) or has the foam under the lining swollen over time?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you know of any repair shops that might be able to replace the (I think styrofoam) that forms the shape of the body? Or is this something that I could do myself?

The seller has offered a full refund, but if I can get the inside of the case adjusted to work with my guitar I would really like to keep it since it is otherwise in excellent condition (for a nearly 50 year old case).

Last edited by BasilBCF; 05-06-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

I have one of these. the body is about an inch longer on the 12-35 than on the sixer. . You may have better luck with a case made for a 12 fret dred. Note than then you will need to make sure there is room for that big headstock.

Lee
Old 05-06-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoslim View Post
I have one of these. the body is about an inch longer on the 12-35 than on the sixer. . You may have better luck with a case made for a 12 fret dred. Note than then you will need to make sure there is room for that big headstock.

Lee
Oh dear, I was afraid of that. I wonder if someone might have the ability to re-line the case and adjust the inner foam just a tad so that the 12 would fit. I mean it is so very close! And there is plenty of room for the head stock.

Otherwise I will have to (reluctantly) sell it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair