The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-23-2016, 07:34 PM

Default My 7 string Archtop- 95% Done

Hi, I haven't seen many of these around so i thought it would be worthwhile to post and it's free and relatively painless.
Love any input on sound and amplification.

Did a program last spring and 2 of us decided to do 7 strings.
We all used the Benedetto Plans.
He did his with a Low A/B, I wanted a High A.
Doesn't mean too much, we can always switch the nut and bridge and have a Low or High String.
I saw a video of Lenny Breau with a High A and although the audio was horrible, the guitar sounded like a harp, so chimey.
I don't have a shop right now so my last jobs are to sand flush the binding and refinish. (I switched out the celluloid for Indian Rosewood) post Finish. And put in a truss rod cover.

Specs:
Adirondack Top
Maple Back and sides
Hard Maple Neck
Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard
Ebony Tailpiece and Bridge
Pau Ferro Headcap

Nut Width 2"
Bridge String Spacing 2 1/2
Have more info if you're interested.
Here's a short sound clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8sUhwXdx4

Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Beautiful guitar! I like the binding around the body and the design of the peg head. Also, interesting tuning peg for the G string.

What are the string gauges of the strings you are using?

Congratulations on building such beautiful guitar!
Old 01-24-2016, 10:18 AM

Smile

Beautiful guitar. And nice vid on YouTube--a little short though!
Nice chime on top. Perfect woody-but-dry tone in the middle. Plenty of bass. That "banjo-style" tuner for the 3rd string is a nice touch. I've seen that on a classical 7-string guitar. As a 7-string (low A now B) player, I never had a problem with the added low string from the very start, but when I tried the High A (L. Breau) set-up on one guitar, for a while, I just was constantly befuddled! Hope you play it lots and build more. The world needs more 7-string guitars and guitarist!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Thanks Livingston,
I used the Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing .055-.014 and then bought a .008 for the high A. I was worried it would be difficult to get the High A up to pitch without breaking, but it is fine.
The .008 is pretty thin, think i will try to get a .009 or .010 and possibly detune to Eb to give a slightly fuller tone.

Paul, yeah i am looking forward to trying the Low A/B down the road, the Hign A is certainly a new learning curve, I am in the process writing out chord charts for the new string. Befuddling is definately the right word, not only because i get confused even playing the chords i already know, but now have a whole new set of chord voicings. But i love the 6ths, 9ths, and 11ths and other intervals when used right, the high open strings give me.
Anyway, i rejoice in the hope that i may figure this thing out yet.
Thanks for your kind words.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 PM

I guess i should have included a request for string choice, would have gotten much more response, ha ha. Or maybe if i had dropped it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops