The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Eastman "Jazz Elite 16-6" from Guitars n Jazz?

It's a custom run at Guitars 'n Jazz. If you've played one, or know anyone who has, what did you think?
Old 12-18-2015, 10:26 AM

I owned one for a few months. It didn't stick in my rotation.

That probably says more about me, my style, and my other guitars, than it says about the guitar though. In general I'm a fan of Eastman guitars, and I like the idea of slightly smaller, slightly thinner carved top guitar. I was looking for a good acoustic guitar that wouldn't give up too much in a loud gig.

In my case, I am most at home on a traditional carved top, i.e. 17" wide, either 3" or 3 3/8" thick, old or new. The particular Jazz 16 that I owned was surprisingly muted acoustically, and that quality came through when amplified. For all I know, this was a quality of the individual guitar, not the model though. Anyway, my Jazz 16 was not much more acoustic sounding than my Guild Starfire II, so there was no point in me keeping it around.

I ended up buying a Sadowsky JH which I like a lot for loud gigs, even though it doesn't get much playing time at home.

If I recall correctly, I saw some advertisement copy that touted the Jazz 16 as getting a good L-5 / Wes Montgomery tone. I think it's safe to say that even with a really good Jazz 16 that's stretching the truth a little too far. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if there are really good ones out there that will work for certain styles, certain sounds.

If you get to play one, keep us posted.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
It's a custom run at Guitars 'n Jazz. If you've played one, or know anyone who has, what did you think?
Hi,
I had one and disposed of it. I can concur with the other poster's comments regarding tone and acoustic qualities. Furthermore, when amped, its tone bore no resemblance to my Gibby L5. But that's not to say that it does't have its place in one's stable.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
...If I recall correctly, I saw some advertisement copy that touted the Jazz 16 as getting a good L-5/Wes Montgomery tone. I think it's safe to say that even with a really good Jazz 16 that's stretching the truth a little too far...
I had the privilege of playing Wes' personal L-5 several years ago...

"Stretching the truth" has got to be the understatement of the year...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops