The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I always like to see what they're playing and check out their tone, but that's about it. Monte Montgomery plays and beat up Dy62c Alvarez, so I've learned to keep my mouth shut!
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM

I’ve thought a lot about this thread since first reading it yesterday. I agree that the quality of the musician supersedes the name on the the instrument.

The only time I’m ever bugged by what people are playing is when I see some of the newer folk inspired indie bands or some of the gigantically membered worship bands.

First, they all look like they just stepped out of the same hipster catalogue. I get it...style. But most of them have a propensity to play weirdly unique instruments that they’ve clearly shopped for because it gives them hipster cred. Oddly shaped, plastic electrics from the 60’s (you know, the kind with all the buttons and switches that really don’t do anything), funky arch tops, beat to death off brand acoustics, whatever looks really unique like they found it in Grandmoms attic.

I know, I know...I’m an old guy and everyone has a right to play whatever they want. Just seems silly to me.

BTW—don’t even get me started with huge bands that have one guy playing nothing but a floor Tom, another one playing a flugelhorn, two guys on xylophones and a gal playing one note on a ukulele. THAT’s silly!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Probably...when I was younger.

I had a Les Paul Goldtop because Dicky Betts plays one. I had a Strat because Eric Clapton plays and SRV played one.

Last acoustic performance I saw was a guy named Toney Rocks. He plays a brand called Teton. Great performer and a nice sounding guitar. I feel he would have sounded good no matter what he played.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM

Not really, but I will give the benefit of the doubt to anybody smart enough to play a telecaster.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic