The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Any fellow CPAP users here?

I’m rocking a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I’m rocking a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset.
I have an older Resmed machine. I don't get along with it. But apnea is serious so I am seeking a solution. The docs are a pain in the backside. I have had two sleep studies. They want me to do another one. How many overnights are necessary? I told them no. I am going directly to the places that sell the machines.

It sounds like your machine is doing it for you. That is great. Enjoy a good nights sleep.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:38 PM

Those docs are using old methods.. I used a little monitor with little sensors on my chest at home. The device sent my numbers directly to the lab for immediate results. Going to a facility and staying all night is ridiculous .
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 PM

I've been using a C-PAP or Auto PAP for about 15 years or so. I would wake up coughing and aspirate what I was bringing up about twice / week. I saw a GI doctor who blamed it on pulmonary. I saw a pulmonologist who blamed it on GI. I finally said they had 2 months to get in touch with each other (I think I was too liberal there) and come up with a plan. They did not so I found two different doctors that both worked out of the same medical facility attached to a hospital.

I think I saw the pulmonologist fist. He called the department of sleep medicine and scheduled a sleep study probably the next week. I was on a CPAP the day after the study. I've had about 4 other sleep studies where I stayed there. As much of an inconvenience it was, they had more sensors on me than I could ever imagine. From my feet to my head. I was covered.

From that point on I went from 'attacks' about twice a week to about twice a year. Four hospitalizations a year to two in 15 years.

The last study I had was an in home. I believe if there was any indication that they needed more data, they would have sent me to an overnight location.

I never miss sleeping with the CPAP. They've gotten so much better now-- smaller and quieter.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 PM

Autosetting is the way to go ! No good reason for anything else in my opinion .
I have been using a DeVillbis IntelliPAP Autosetting CPAP since 2010 and it works well for me .
I still have my ResMed Spirit for a backup .
The DeVillbis simply works better for me .
Currently using a Sleep Weaver fabric mask in camouflage .
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 PM

Using nasal pillows
Old 02-28-2019, 01:15 AM

I've been using cpap/bipap/vpap machines for 22 years...And it was life saving. I've used nasal pillows since the beginning and currently have a ResMed AirSense 10. It also goes everywhere when I travel. I don't even try and take a nap without it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

I use a Phillips (respironics?) cpap. I guess for about five years or so now? Initially it was mostly for my wife - I’ve been told my snoring was really outta hand. The sleep study said my apnea was in the “mild” range and the cpap was kind of optional, but she was sure I was dying every time I’d stop breathing, evidently, up to around 15 times per hour is still considered mild and not a big worry! People with really bad apnea wake up 40 or more times an hour! But it helped her sleep a lot and now I love it. I don’t know if I sleep more or better with it, but I put it on and roll over and it seems like I’m out within seconds...

-Ray
Old 02-28-2019, 05:22 AM

Bi-pap user for 6+ years with a Resmed S9 & a full face mask. My AHI was way over 60 during the sleep study at the hospital.

Bi-pap was prescribed due to the need for higher pressures to stop my apnea.
(Inhale pressure is currently 16 and exhale pressure is 12)

Using Sleepyhead software to regularly monitor my sleep & periodically adjust my pressures. AHI is under 1.0 now.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-22-2021, 06:22 AM

Old thread. New CPAP user.

I just got hooked up with a ResMed fully auto A10 machine using a nasal "pillow" mask. My apnea episodes have been on the mild side but my sleep has not been the greatest so I'm on a 2-week trial to see if this is for me this time. I had tried a more "manual" CPAP with full mask a few years back but that drove me nuts so I ditched that pronto. Looks like I might tolerate this new version better and become a full-time member of the CPAP Club (lucky me)!!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Old thread. New CPAP user.

I just got hooked up with a ResMed fully auto A10 machine using a nasal "pillow" mask. My apnea episodes have been on the mild side but my sleep has not been the greatest so I'm on a 2-week trial to see if this is for me this time. I had tried a more "manual" CPAP with full mask a few years back but that drove me nuts so I ditched that pronto. Looks like I might tolerate this new version better and become a full-time member of the CPAP Club (lucky me)!!
I've been using that same CPAP setup for a little under 2 years. I think it's about as unobtrusive as they get.

After a few months I got the hang of the straps, filling the bin with with water, when/how to use it etc. And I'm not embarrassed to tell people I use a CPAP like I was at the beginning, although it's not the first thing I bring up in conversations or on a date.

Hang in there!

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 08-22-2021, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Apneas are all different. Some members here simply snore without CPAP/BiPAP. That can be annoying but is not necessarily life-threatening (depending, of course, on your spouse's disposition). But some folks stop breathing and jerk awake every minute or two (seriously), oxygen-starved and gasping for breath, brain pumping with adrenaline. YMMV.

Some free advice (especially if you're in the latter group above):

Imagine traveling by air with your sleep machine in a checked bag that never shows up, or is misplaced for a day (night). My machine is small enough to fit handily in a carry-on backpack that boards the plane with me.

CPAP/BiPAP is prescribed by medical doctors. Impossible (in my experience) to replace even peripheral parts like a damaged mask/insert without a prescription in hand - IF you can find an open distributor.

Some restrictive apnea patients can actually get a couple hours of dream-filled machine-free sleep propped upright in a recliner - without waking up every 60 seconds all night long.

A charged RV battery and cheapo inverter will power a sleep-machine (with the heater part turned off) for 3-4 nights.

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-22-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Back in the '90s when I was driving to and from the office - over 80 miles a day (about three hours on top of eight hours sat in the office, I got to weigh about 210 lbs and starting to fall asleep at the wheel.
I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea and given a CPAP machine - and, of course, had to take time off work as it is obviously illegal to drive with an apnoea diagnosis.

I hated that trying to sleep with a noisy elephants trunk stuck on my face so resolved to lose weight rapidly.
Can't remember how I did it -gave up the drink, and cut out fatty foods, meats etc. Got down to 14 stone (196 lbs) and the symptoms went away so I convinced my doctor that I had cured myself and gave back the CPAP.

When I left that job the weight stayed off and I had time to do more exercise, cycle, gym etc., and then cancer in 2017 solved all such problems as I'm more like 150 lbs now.

Still don't sleep well but that's due to other issues.

if your apnoea is due to weight issues - my best advice is t lose it as quickly as you can - it'll help your blood pressure issues too. .
Old 08-22-2021, 11:59 AM

Hosehead for about seven years now. Res med S9. Snoring stopped immediately. Hard to believe my wife put up with that for 25 years. If I ever need oxygen in a hospital or airplane, I’ll feel right at home.👍

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 08-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I won't bore you with the history, but the short version is that I have severe sleep apnea, which is mostly due to weight. Earlier this year, I had a second sleep study (at home) and was approved for a CPAP machine. But between my nasal passages being blocked (maybe allergies; I began taking Claritin daily to see if it helps) and claustrophobia / anxiety from placing the mask on my face, I couldn't even get past the fitting, let alone wearing it with the machine on.

Also, they are pushing me to wear a full face mask, but I'm not sure that's possible. And I'd think that wearing a smaller mask is better than nothing at all. In the meantime, I am following Ole Andy's advice and trying to lose weight.

Did any of you face these same issues? How did you overcome them?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic