The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Default George harrisons ultimate revenge

Listening to the beatles on spotify i noticed here comes the sun the most listened to beatles song by 120 million plays. So at least with this generation. take that lennon mcartney.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM

George Harrison was the youngest Beatle. He was just as talented as the two main song writers. I think he just developed, as a song writer, a bit later.

There will be other opinions, of course.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:26 AM

George had a ton of great songs bottled up inside of him and a lot of them showed up on his album All Things Must Pass.

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
George had a ton of great songs bottled up inside of him and a lot of them showed up on his album All Things Must Pass.

Yes they did.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Or there's the oft-told story of Frank Sinatra introducing "Something" as the greatest song Lennon and McCartney ever wrote.

Of course objective greatness and ranking 1,2,3 in the arts is dodgy, but assuming one believes it can or must be done, being the third-best songwriter and lead singer in the Beatles allows for some considerable achievement doesn't it.

In my youth, when who's your favorite Beatle was a thing, I admired John because he was "the writer" with his In His Own Write book, but also George because he was the youngest and just a bit too overlooked (Ringo probably came in above George in the "favorite Beatle hit parade.")

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Paul was the most talented beatle and I don’t think it was even close. Shoot , George couldn’t even pull off some of their leads; Paul had to do them! This coming from someone whose favorite beatle is George.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 PM

Oh i no doubt know paul is so talented. I have a love hate relationship with him though. I just think it’s funny cause its known fact they held em back as much as they helped him. He had bad feelings from it and yes all things is probably the best solo beatles album as well. And its true he peaked later and took to the solo thing quickly. And it was a competition with them so why not. Those guys pushed each other. Its why it was great. I know they all worked together up until a point.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Paul was the most talented beatle and I don’t think it was even close. Shoot , George couldn’t even pull off some of their leads; Paul had to do them! This coming from someone whose favorite beatle is George.
It's not that George couldn't pull off some of the leads. On some songs, Paul had an idea for the lead part and went ahead and played it. He played Paul-style lead solos. George of course could have played the lead solos on those songs. He would have done a great job too. He would have played George-style lead solos.

George played bass on She Said She Said. I don't think it was because he played a part that Paul couldn't have pulled off
Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM

I always liked the Beatles much more as a group than as individuals. There is no "best" for me, just "them."
Old 01-16-2019, 05:13 PM

I heard a radio interview with Noel Gallagher and he was asked which Beatle he admired the most. He said, "Ringo. Without a doubt." The host asked why, and Gallagher said, "Well, if that guy can make it..."

Couch Standards
Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
It took me awhile to wise up to this, but they're all "talented"--or whatever mixture of focus, practice and some genetic pre-disposition leads to art that intrigues and works. And those Beatle parts along with George Martin and Emerick et al and the times interacted in magnified and magnificent ways.

These things are hard to measure in a subjective field like art, and with Paul I had to get around the "cute" tag that got applied to him early and the "pop Pablum" tag that got applied to him at the time of the breakup to really hear what he was doing without prejudice.

Here's two more props I'll give George, the Dark Horse:

Indian music would have filtered in somehow to the West (Coltrane and some other things came first) but Harrison made sure everyone heard it. How many were inspired either by him or had audiences and their ears opened up by him?

Life of Brian. The film might well not have happened without his financing it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 PM

Growing up, Gorge was always my favourite. To me, he had the biggest cool factor of anyone in the rock and roll game. Musically, he is the only one that I connect with post-Beatles and the only one I bought records by. John was kind of weird, Paul way too “goody two shoes” and Ringo just plain goofy. But when I make a top-ten list of my fav Beatles songs, John’s are way ahead.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM

I think I was 13 when the Beatles hit, and I was a huge fan thru their group career and then into the solo careers...

I found Paul's music to be enjoyable, entertaining and easy to listen to, and John's work always made me stop, really listen and think about what he was saying...

But I have to say that although George wrote a couple of my favorite tunes along the way, I've just never considered him to be in the same league as John & Paul...

Different strokes and all that...
Old 01-18-2019, 12:41 PM

It's difficult for me to put George Harrison and 'revenge' into the same phrase.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write