The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-30-2017, 12:13 PM

It's a shame that these Laney products are unavailable in the US. It would be nice to hear where they fit as they do seem to earn a lot of praise.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Indeed, dannyg1. I'm keeping it
Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Tested the Mackie FreePlay outdoors. It plenty loud for anything I can conceive of doing with it.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up

Excellent, Nice to hear good stuff about the Mackie
Old 07-01-2017, 03:36 PM

You just need 1/4" TS to male XLR to get the guitar level hot enough.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Default Could use your help Danny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Ikingston,

If you look Back to the list of options I posted for numbfingers, one of them was a k2.energy lithium 12v 10ah for $120 on eBay. Seller says it's new and it will fit in place of your s600b's stock battery. It'll be far lighter and should last around 40% longer.
My battery for my stagemate s600b is dead and since Carvin has gone under, your information was all I could find on the internet regarding battery replacement. Does your advice still hold? Should I purchase the k2 battery you suggested to numbfingers? If so, I'm having trouble finding that exact model for sale anywhere, do you have another model you would recommend? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 AM

I would remove the dead battery, post a picture of it, and measure/post its exact dimensions. There are several EEs who participate in this forum and you will get excellent advice on how to buy a good electrical and physical fit for a replacement. It is likely a sealed lead acid battery. If it is a lithium battery, given the proprietary nature of most lithium batteries and chargers, a replacement may not be available.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 AM

It is a standard sealed lead acid battery. Take it in to a battery store for an easy replacement, or look on eBay for a compatible one if you want to save money.

Be aware that the Carvin 600b has to be turned on when it is plugged in in order for the battery to charge. Also be aware that a completely dead battery can take several days to recharge.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:08 PM

Cool Mackie FreePLay As A P.A &Acoustic Guitar AMP

I use this for busking , casuals and small coffee house gigs:
  • 150 Watts RMS - 75 watts RMS for the 8" center channel summed to mono 75 watts in Stereo to the super tweeters
  • FX engine is good
  • XLR/TRSX2
  • Built to take a beating with an ABS exterior body
  • Stereo AUX / Bluetooth controllable
  • 1/4 Line out
  • Lithium battery runs 10 hours
  • 15lbs W/O battery

This package ran $550.00 two years ago .

My T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X looper & Roland GR33 guitar synth plug in as well as my 000 resonator & 000
nylon and electric guitar it is a FRFR unit . Remark low hz for synth sounds - acoustic guitars sound great through
this as well as well as the electric .

It is a very loud and clean sounding unit IMHO

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 PM

Cool Mackie FreePlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Tested the Mackie FreePlay outdoors. It plenty loud for anything I can conceive of doing with it.
Hey Dave :

Amazing little monster P.A. for the $'s . I will get a second one to . The acoustic instruments I play really
stand out through this system:
  1. Acoustic harmonica
  2. Soprano Ukulele
  3. 000 nylon & 000 resonator
  4. Dreadnaught Washburn

¿ Did You get the [ " Package " ] ? The pole really gives this unit outstanding projection . The angel support
is also useful when not on the pole too .

EZ :

HR

Old 08-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Thanks Dave. All I did was find it and tell everyone here. I'm thanking Korg for doing this. I never knew much about them and I like them already.
i've searched this thread and can't find anything on it, what is this Korg you are talking about? Thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Excellent, Nice to hear good stuff about the Mackie

The most consistent negative comment made on this unit I know of is the fact that many who have not a piezo with enough output in
it tends to not sound good and very weak .

A matching X-former and it's solved for about $20.00

I've not had any issues since I use a MFX unit for my acoustics .

EZ :

HR

Old 08-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Happy Carvin S600B owner here! Last season I was using the Roland BA330 which had a great sound (much better than the cube units IMO) but sometimes didn't pump out enough volume before sounding a bit 'crunchy'. Also it was sometimes a pain to drag onto buses and trains due to its size. I managed to snag one of the last s600b p.a. systems as Carvin was cleaning out their remaining inventory and had it shipped all the way up here to Quebec.

The sound is more mid-rangy than the ba-330 but not in a bad way, if anything it helps cut through in when the surroundings are loud. The bass is nice and fat due to the 8" woofer. It does get louder than the ba330 although i'd be lying if i said I haven't pushed it to its limits when dealing with excess street noise. The built in mixer is really incredible (phantom power!), the only issue I have found is that the reverb can sometimes add a bit of a weird nasal sounding frequency, so I use it sparingly.

I love the size of this thing, I no longer feel like I'm taking up too much room on the bus. Also, I have modified my unit so that the battery is carried separately and plugged in externally through a cigarette light port I installed on the back of the unit. There is also a voltmeter to let me know how much juice I have left. This has couple advantages. The amp is now about 6-7 pounds lighter AND I can bring along another SLA battery on days when I play longer sets.

Great little speaker!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification