The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-08-2016, 02:49 AM

A truly beautiful interpretation of a classic. Just imagine if you had found a tweed case under the Christmas tree which revealed...

Old 01-08-2016, 07:41 AM

That would be the day my wife bought me a guitar!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choucas09 View Post
A truly beautiful interpretation of a classic. Just imagine if you had found a tweed case under the Christmas tree which revealed...

Yes, a beautiful guitar. But to be honest, I'd nonetheless probably be an ingrate. I wouldn't be able to resist asking, "What did you pay for it?" Then my head would go to all of the other things I might have preferred at that price point. In my house, my wife and I have a clear understanding with respect to gifts that she doesn't choose musical gear for me and I don't choose clothes or jewelry for her.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
Yes, a beautiful guitar. But to be honest, I'd nonetheless probably be an ingrate. I wouldn't be able to resist asking, "What did you pay for it?" Then my head would go to all of the other things I might have preferred at that price point. In my house, my wife and I have a clear understanding with respect to gifts that she doesn't choose musical gear for me and I don't choose clothes or jewelry for her.
Good point. The price point is high, but it is beautiful and I suppose if it sounds right it will sell for the right person. I'd be very interested if it had a cutaway.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Good point. The price point is high, but it is beautiful and I suppose if it sounds right it will sell for the right person. I'd be very interested if it had a cutaway.
I didn't mean to be harping on the price of this guitar - just some light humor about how I would react to just about any guitar my wife chose to put under the Christmas tree, in response to the post above. The fact is, I think the price for this guitar is quite justifiable given the artistry, craftsmanship, and labor it reflects. I generally think fine luthiers are not compensated adequately for their work. My earlier post about it being expensive was meant as a relative claim, not an absolute one - in particular, in relation to some of the contemporary archtops on the used market, which can be incredible bargains.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
I didn't mean to be harping on the price of this guitar - just some light humor about how I would react to just about any guitar my wife chose to put under the Christmas tree, in response to the post above. The fact is, I think the price for this guitar is quite justifiable given the artistry, craftsmanship, and labor it reflects. I generally think fine luthiers are not compensated adequately for their work. My earlier post about it being expensive was meant as a relative claim, not an absolute one - in particular, in relation to some of the contemporary archtops on the used market, which can be incredible bargains.
Understood, and I think all good points. Like I said, too bad it doesn't have a cutaway.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Understood, and I think all good points. Like I said, too bad it doesn't have a cutaway.
If you want a world class, acoustic 16" L5 clone with a cutaway, check out Andrew Mowry. In fact, Carmel Music currently has one of his guitars available. It's the first one listed under Archtops:

http://carmelmusic.com/stocklist/index.html
Old 01-12-2016, 04:02 PM

I haven't had a chance to hear Andrew Mowry's archtops, but I've spoken to someone who has and who has deep experience with archtops. Reportedly these instruments sound as good as they look. Mowry's work and woods look stupendous. And the price point is incredible.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:14 PM

Here is a link to a demo of Jackson Cunningham's archtop:

https://www.facebook.com/CunninghamH...type=2&theater
Old 01-21-2016, 01:47 PM

A good friend Larry Wexer played that Cunningham,his opion was it looked nice but did not have " the sound"...I would take that as gospel coming from Mr Wexer,also he said way overpriced...
Old 01-21-2016, 03:09 PM

I would value Larry's opinion highly, but keep in mind that he does have very specific tastes. "The sound" may be different for someone else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops