The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Recording sounds crisp and clear! This just made me excited to fiddle around with mine tonight. It got delivered yesterday along with the Polaroid mount I purchased for it. May I ask where/how you situated the recorder in relation to your guitar? Also - I found myself singing the lyrics to your instrumentals.
Thanks Whitney! I believe I had the DR-05 lying down with the mics facing me about 1.5' away for that clip. Recording set at mp3, 96k mono, 44.1k sampling, mic power OFF, rec level at 75.

You say you were singing the lyrics. How do you know the lyrics to Hector the Hero? Are you involved in Irish/Scottish music?
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
Thanks Whitney! I believe I had the DR-05 lying down with the mics facing me about 1.5' away for that clip. Recording set at mp3, 96k mono, 44.1k sampling, mic power OFF, rec level at 75.

You say you were singing the lyrics. How do you know the lyrics to Hector the Hero? Are you involved in Irish/Scottish music?
My mistake! I must have clicked someone else's recording and read your post instead - I was singing the lyrics to some of the instrumentals in the other recording posted. The John Mayer/Ed Sheeran ones. But, now that I listen to yours, I can't believe how clear this thing records. Wow. Hopefully I'll have something to post up tonight or tomorrow!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got one yesterday at the local GC and it's nice. Very clean/clear recording quality, better clarity than my Olympus WS-100, although the Olympus is much more convenient and portable at ~1/4 the overall size...but just can't quite match the recording quality of the DR-05. At a price that will end up around $30, it's hard to go wrong.

Here's an audio file of my J-35 recorded with the DR-05 in mp3 format. Please ignore the rather sloppy play. I'm trying Martin Tony Rice MTR13 and not used to playing med gauge strings. My initial impression is the DR-05 seems to favor the high end of the tonal spectrum, and the J-35 isn't that bright. The overall quality seems a bit on the bright side to me but could be mic placement. Still getting used to the best mic placement/rec vol and playing with all the different settings to get the best results.

Overall, I think this will be a very good recorder for general use and certainly a good deal at this price.

DR-05:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/moq8...Hero_DR-05.mp3

DC
Great playing and recording!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Just got notice that mine has been shipped!! Should be here Monday, can't wait to try it out.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Great playing and recording!
Thanks Bluser. Yes, I think this will be a good recorder for my needs. I hope you're enjoying yours.

DC
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
My mistake! I must have clicked someone else's recording and read your post instead - I was singing the lyrics to some of the instrumentals in the other recording posted. The John Mayer/Ed Sheeran ones. But, now that I listen to yours, I can't believe how clear this thing records. Wow. Hopefully I'll have something to post up tonight or tomorrow!
Ha! I was wondering about that since Hector the Hero isn't exactly mainstream. I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the DR-05. Think I need to back off the recording vol just a bit. Still experimenting.

DC
Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Got one yesterday at the local GC and it's nice. Very clean/clear recording quality, better clarity than my Olympus WS-100, although the Olympus is much more convenient and portable at ~1/4 the overall size...but just can't quite match the recording quality of the DR-05. At a price that will end up around $30, it's hard to go wrong.

Here's an audio file of my J-35 recorded with the DR-05 in mp3 format. Please ignore the rather sloppy play. I'm trying Martin Tony Rice MTR13 and not used to playing med gauge strings. My initial impression is the DR-05 seems to favor the high end of the tonal spectrum, and the J-35 isn't that bright. The overall quality seems a bit on the bright side to me but could be mic placement. Still getting used to the best mic placement/rec vol and playing with all the different settings to get the best results.

Overall, I think this will be a very good recorder for general use and certainly a good deal at this price.

DR-05:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/moq8...Hero_DR-05.mp3

DC
My J-35 envy has just returned. Beautifully done. Excellent execution and tone.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
My J-35 envy has just returned. Beautifully done. Excellent execution and tone.
Appreciate it! Gotta get you one.

DC
Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 AM

I got my Tascam DR 40 last year . It's the dr 05 big brother. The DR40 was purchased from SWEETWATER..a reliable place to buy. The DR 40 was priced at $149..regularily $199...so it was a good deal.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Default Amazon

I note that this add on Amazon has the Tazcam-05 for 79.00 and also a link to the 20 dollar rebate. It is also prime eligible so if you be prime you have it in two days free.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-05-P...s=tascam+dr-05

Raebrek!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODELL View Post
I have a Sony that is similar in features and quality to the Tascam. I think these will eventually be useless as smart phone apps (free) offer great apps to do the same functions. I found a free HQMP3 recorder and compared the sounds to my Sony and can't tell the differenct through ear buds. This might be why the Tascam is so cheap....
It will be a very very long time before smart phone hardware equals the audio elements in "prosumer" or pro recording gear. The software surely is catching up quickly, but few smartphone makers will be replacing their commodity audio electronics with comparable mics or audio processors any time soon. And that's where most of the audio quality is coming from.

Would not be surprised to see more of this type of gear though plugging into smartphones or tablets to act as the software and UI layer -- for example, put the mic and audio circuitry into a self contained package that plugs into a smartphone and uses the smartphone UI and screen, running a controller app. See this already with Point of Sale registers and other electronic instruments (not musical reference there).
Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Hey guys

One thing to keep in mind as you're using your DR-05s: keep your cell phone away from it. I use mine for rehearsals all the time, and in a few instances I've had my phone (and iPhone in this case) within a foot or two of the DR - it produces interferences which is picked up by the recording. It can be pretty obnoxious making the recording almost unlistenable at times.

At first I thought it was a defective unit - but after a little research, and keeping the phone away from the recorder, I haven't had any further issues.

Michael
Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikbau View Post
Hey guys

One thing to keep in mind as you're using your DR-05s: keep your cell phone away from it. I use mine for rehearsals all the time, and in a few instances I've had my phone (and iPhone in this case) within a foot or two of the DR - it produces interferences which is picked up by the recording. It can be pretty obnoxious making the recording almost unlistenable at times.

At first I thought it was a defective unit - but after a little research, and keeping the phone away from the recorder, I haven't had any further issues.

Michael
Thanks Michael. Good advice. I dislike cell phones and only use mine in case of emergencies when I'm out and about, so is always off when home. So far no issues with digital recorders, computers, etc at home. But if I take the DR-05 to rehearsals elsewhere, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

DC
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Great deal on digital recorder.

Ya mine does the same thing when it's near my alarm clock radio.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

FINALLY had an opportunity to play with my new toy. Man, am I ever impressed. This was easily the best $39 I've spent in a while. I posted my cover over in Show and Tell, but I'll post it up here too for reference. As mentioned in the other thread, I haven't quite nailed down where to put it for best results while singing and playing at the same time. That'll come with trial and error. Stoked that I bought this, it's going to get a ton of use from me.

Here's my cover of "Skin" by Chris Trapper:

https://soundcloud.com/whitneyborise...-chris-trapper

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD