The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-30-2018, 12:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Exactly... Because if this is so great, then what of their non-V-braced guitars? The four models this is available on are their high-end models. But I guess they did the same thing when they rolled out their "slanted" back braces...
Well in any case this is like asking Ardbeg to speculate on the marketing decisions of Anheuser-Busch

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Mm...Ardbeg. If I had to live with only one...

Anyway, has Taylor actually had any innovations that the rest of the market has followed? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I don't really follow their product line.

I can see how one might see similarities between the V and falcate design, but to my eyes, they're worlds apart. Gore's pattern is intentionally designed to increase the mobility of the main top monopole, whereas I can't help but think that the V bracing will inhibit that movement. But hey, there's an easy way to find out...
Old 01-30-2018, 12:43 PM

I dont see the similarity to falcate bracing though there may be one but it looks very much like archtop bracing.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Taylor Bracing

I am interested to hear it. To me it looks more closely related to fan bracing than anything else. Its the transverse brace below the sound hole that makes me say that. Ladder bracing has no way to control longitudinal stiffness except for the size of the bridge patch, but this approach, with the finger braces in the lower bout seems smart.That gives a nice control for the crossgrain, and distributes the bridge load out onto a wide, essentially concentric section of the top. I like it that they have abandoned the upper transverse brace, above the sound hole, since their heavy neck block arrangement makes it (perhaps) not structurally required. I applaud this company for their innovations, and I think they do a pretty good job considering that all their instruments can not be attended to individually.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:00 PM

If I remember correctly, builder (and MIMFer) Mark Swanson has a similar bracing, though his design has an offset soundhole. Can't remember if the long braces converged however.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Not to sidetrack and just to clarify, "similar" does not mean "exact". Instead of an x-brace you have two primary structural beams that are not connected to one another and run somewhat with the soundboard grain. Falcate bracing does indeed have similarity to the Taylor V-brace in this regard - and so does archtop bracing. There are many comparisons you can make between V-bracing and other classes of bracing. So it is a departure from Taylor's previous bracing pattern but is not some revolutionary concept that has never been done before - which was the point of my initial post.

Ben, I agree - I see a bit of classical bracing inspiration in the new Taylor design as well. This allows for greater cross dipole action which may result in more midrange presence. Who knows tho - we'll just have to try them out and see what we think.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 01-30-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:51 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
LouieAtienza, who sets the pricing for a large guitar manufacturer? Engineering? Manufacturing? Or Marketing? I don’t believe expensive models indicates anything but what they expect the market will pay.
Consider this. If you first use a new bracing pattern on your cheapest model, it is forever an economy feature. If you first use it on your most expensive model, then it is forever a luxury feature.

Don't expect me to be offloading my more traditional guitars to buy one, but I am interested in playing a few to see how they sound.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Not to sidetrack and just to clarify, "similar" does not mean "exact". Instead of an x-brace you have two primary structural beams that are not connected to one another and run somewhat with the soundboard grain. Falcate bracing does indeed have similarity to the Taylor V-brace in this regard - and so does archtop bracing. There are many comparisons you can make between V-bracing and other classes of bracing. So it is a departure from Taylor's previous bracing pattern but is not some revolutionary concept that has never been done before - which was the point of my initial post.

Ben, I agree - I see a bit of classical bracing inspiration in the new Taylor design as well. This allows for greater cross dipole action which may result in more midrange presence. Who knows tho - we'll just have to try them out and see what we think.
Mark's design is comprised of two structural beams, not connected, run somewhat parallel to the grain, and employ finger braces. At least as I remember it, this was 10-15 years ago on the old forum.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a top I braced in 1995. I made 7 or 8 on this line and called them Coo'stik Dominators. They were all extraordinarily loud, but did not have enough of what I call "tone". Mind you they were intended to compete with the Selmer Style gypsy guitars . . . if you know what I mean.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here's a top I braced in 1995. I made 7 or 8 on this line and called them Coo'stik Dominators. They were all extraordinarily loud, but did not have enough of what I call "tone". Mind you they were intended to compete with the Selmer Style gypsy guitars . . . if you know what I mean.

Ahhh but Bruce...

As John Caulkin once said in a famous missive of his about tonewoods

"Give them loud, and they'll hear tone"

By the way...any "direct" thoughts about Taylor's new "shiny object"???

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 01-30-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 01-30-2018, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Consider this. If you first use a new bracing pattern on your cheapest model, it is forever an economy feature. If you first use it on your most expensive model, then it is forever a luxury feature.

Don't expect me to be offloading my more traditional guitars to buy one, but I am interested in playing a few to see how they sound.
Having considered this, I can only say, “Good Point!”

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 01-30-2018, 04:41 PM

There are a few active threads here on the new Taylor bracing, but this seems most apropos for posting this short, but interesting, thread at luthiersforum.

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewt...=10101&t=50231

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop