The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 AM

I bought thru Amazon so I could put it on my Amazon credit card. I've already re-financed it so I get 0% financing till 8/2018. Doing it this way made it affordable for me now. I didn't want to miss out on this sale as it's too good to pass up. An added bonus was $12 dollars in reward points I had available to me on Amazon.

The mic is coming from California and is scheduled for delivery on Thursday !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I am very much looking forward to replacing my AKG P120 "cheese grater special" with the Revelation. Thanks again for the tip.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Here's the X/Y Version with NOS Mullard E80F (short body version) tubes, which really cleaned up the noise level. This is a really cool mic, and great for capturing live singer songwriter style performances with one mic!!! I've been using it to record some rehearsals my songs.

(not using the stock shockmount, I like this better)

(power supply is top left)

Mullard tubes (not as tidy in there as the single capsule version Revelation)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Very cool. Those and the Revelation Solo are becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:06 PM

I didn't see any in my travels.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-01-2017, 04:45 PM

Alright, my stereo mic mounting bar just arrived !! Just in time for me to set it up tonight for the Revelation tomorrow !! With the right mic stand mounting, this bar could also be used to mount a vertical XY configuration using the Revelation and V-69 !!!!!

Maximum separation with this bar is 15" inches on center. I don't have room for separate mic stands so using the stereo bar works out great for me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Very cool. Those and the Revelation Solo are becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

Bob
You're not kidding, and what's funny I think MXL really thought they had a hit on there hands with the X/Y,and yet not many sold, although from the few reports/reviews that I'd read everybody really liked them. I just think no one wanted to pay $2000 for MXL mic of any kind. I know I wouldn't. I paid $399 for mine and $60 for the matched set of NOS Mullard EF80s, and even then, I wondered if I was wasting money. Well last night I recorded 5 or 6 songs where I just set the mic up somewhere between my guitar and voice about 4 to 5 feet back and just played away. I would up getting some nice recordings! This mic is a winner hands down at 4 or 5 times the price I paid! It's just point and shoot so to say.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Alright, my stereo mic mounting bar just arrived !! Just in time for me to set it up tonight for the Revelation tomorrow !! With the right mic stand mounting, this bar could also be used to mount a vertical XY configuration using the Revelation and V-69 !!!!!

Maximum separation with this bar is 15" inches on center. I don't have room for separate mic stands so using the stereo bar works out great for me.
Before you record in stereo, just try the Revelation on it's own and go through the different patterns, you will be surprised at how wide it can sound!!! Above all, have fun with it Notice how the lowend cleans up nice in the omni position. Then try and sing into it fairly close in figure 8 with the mic in a corner of the room. It's pretty cool!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Notice how the lowend cleans up nice in the omni position.
Yep, the proximity effect goes away when you leave cardioid land. By the way, the high-pass filter on the power supply seems to match and eliminate the mic's proximity effect pretty well.
Quote:
Then try and sing into it fairly close in figure 8 with the mic in a corner of the room. It's pretty cool!!!
I'm going to have to try that one.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Well the Revelation is going to get a thorough work out this weekend. I'll be trying all kinds of things. You've got me concerned about noise levels with the stock tube. Depending on the results of the tests I do, I'll see if I need to upgrade the tube. I really hate to do that as it voids the warranty. I did it on my ART stuff and got great results, but mics are a different animal to me. I had lots of people recommending the tube upgrade in the ART stuff. I need to research it a little more.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Well the Revelation is going to get a thorough work out this weekend. I'll be trying all kinds of things. You've got me concerned about noise levels with the stock tube. Depending on the results of the tests I do, I'll see if I need to upgrade the tube. I really hate to do that as it voids the warranty. I did it on my ART stuff and got great results, but mics are a different animal to me. I had lots of people recommending the tube upgrade in the ART stuff. I need to research it a little more.
There is no way that anyone could tell you've changed the tube! No seal has to be broken. But before you change tubes, listen to the tube in there, it may have a low noise level. I'ma serial modder with ridiculous OCD levels The mic sounds fine with the stock tube. All of Bob Womacks demos were done with the stock tube.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
There is no way that anyone could tell you've changed the tube! No seal has to be broken. But before you change tubes, listen to the tube in there, it may have a low noise level. I'ma serial modder with ridiculous OCD levels The mic sounds fine with the stock tube. All of Bob Womacks demos were done with the stock tube.

That's good to hear.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 AM

Way out of my price range! But I picked up an MXL 2010 from PSSL 2 weeks ago, on a discontinued deal for $50. Wanted to add a multi-pattern mic to my locker.
Side-by-side comparison in cardiod mode with my normal go-to AKG P220 showed a very similar frequency response, a slight bump in the 6-7K range compared to the 1-2K range of the AKG.
My room's not set up well for mid-side recording (carpeted floor, lots of bass traps), so that test (figure 8 mode) was inconclusive.
In omni mode, I had the MXL's rear side facing out the open doorway into my living room and it definitely picked up the reverb from that room.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD