The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Contreras C1

I was thinking about buying a Clasical Guitar and after a little research I have kinda decided on the,

Manuel Contreras II
Model--C1 Spruce

Does anyone know of these guitars? Have an opinion about this one or not.

I have only one snag when It comes to buying guitars. I'm a lefty and this luthier will make a left handed guitar.

Also, I'm curious what style bracing is typically prefered, Lattice or Fan?

Thanks in Advance,

Wayne
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM

A good friend of mine owns a Contreras I. Fantastic guitar. Contreras (Senior) was a luthier in the Ramirez workshop, which is where he presumably learned much of his craft prior to going out on his own.

I am no expert of this history, and I know only what little I have heard about the current Contreras offerings (Contreras II). Some of the (new) higher-end models are very well-regarded by the classical players. On the other hand, some of the entry-level models may not actually have been made in the Contreras workshop (if that sort of thing is important to you) as the guitars reportedly have been built by other factories which licensed the Contreras label.

Since you are having this guitar commissioned at what I must assume is a significant amount of money, I suggest slow and careful thought through the process. Do I understand that you are dealing directly with the Contreras factory? Who is "the luthier" that you are communicating with? Also, I am perplexed by the bracing question you ask, as most luthiers have pretty well-formed opinions about bracing, and rarely pose bracing choices to be decided upon by the person buying the guitar. In the event that a luthier builds with a couple of bracing options, that luthier should be able to describe the response and rationale of the different bracing strategies. I am surprised that you are being asked to specify bracing type.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM

HI wayne
welcome to the forum..
Contreras is a well know luthier, like Ramirez, Bernabe, Fleta and Romanillos
so you are in good hands!
i am lefty too, my 8 string guitars where made by my friend F.Zalapa, here in
mexico, this good luthier worked with Manuel Contreras in Spain.
Eblen
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 AM

I think I'm gonna buy this. I looks sweet and has pretty good reviews.

http://www.staffordguitar.com/shop/popupconc1sleft.asp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical