The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Recording Newbie microphone jack question

I recently downloaded Audacity as was recommended here in a previous topic, and I've just started to play with it.

Besides learning to record, I was immediately drawn to Audacity's ability to convert LP's, tapes, to MP3 format. Mrs. Menhir and I have college-era recording that exist only on vinyl and she'd love to hear them again. (Our one remaining turntable has been exiled to the attic for years.)

So the first question that reared it's ugly head: Is the microphone jack on my laptop computer mono or stereo? I have two computers on my office/man cave/potential rude recording studio, the main one is a Dell Lattitude E6410, the other is an old Compaq Presario C700. I've downloaded Audacity to both.

I've searched the interwebs for over an hour now, wading through forums and manuals and I've found a lot of jabber, but have yet to find a definitive answer. Even the manual doesn't specify whether or not it's a stereo jack.

So, with so many people here using their computers for recording...
What can I assume, how can I find out?
It it's a mono jack, how can stereo input be handled?

If figure if anyone knows, it'll be you guys/girls.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

A mic input is typically mono, as stereo mics are not common. I think you may benefit from looking into audio interfaces. Soundcard jacks are usually miserable as far as audio quality is concerned and they won't power any decent mics. I only say that because, if you're talking about recording in stereo, it sounds like you're planning to make this somewhat involved and probably want it to be worthwhile.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 PM

My understanding is that many of the 3.5mm jack inputs on laptops and PC's are stereo because there they allow input from MP3 players, and so on. If the sound chip is stereo they just run all the inputs and outputs through that. But your milage may vary.

I would look at getting a proper Audio to USB converter box for anywhere decent sound quality. And even then, run that from your hi-fi amp or pre-amp. I don't know of a USB audio converter that has a phono stage.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:19 PM

I was able to ascertain that the chip is stereo.

To be a little more clear...I'm not concerned about recording in stereo with a microphone...at least not at this point. Never say never, and all that.
Recording myself a-playing and a-wailing will come a little later.

My primary interest in this topic is converting some vinyl LP's to a CD-friendly format while keeping the stereo properties of the original recording. If my microphone input jack is stereo I can rig up a "Y" adapter from the turntable/amplifier RCA plugs to the microphone jack. Easy Peasy.

As an aside, I feel a bit like I just crawled out of a fallout shelter. I'm hardly a technophobe, but there's been a lot of advances in the years since I last said "never"* regarding performing. I have some ketchin' up to do.

I'll be fun.

*That's when I sold off my keyboards, amplifiers, guitars, and donated my microphone etc., to my church. Everything. I bought one acoustic guitar and that's been my constant companion since. Still, something in me must have said "never say never," because I bought one with electronics. You know. Just in case. And here I am.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Any idea who manufactured your sound chip? Realtek is pretty common.

Most realtek drivers allow you to dictate what you plugged into one of the various jacks... Eg headphones, speakers, microphone.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

The only info in the manual regarding the audio connectors/ports is this...

"microphone connector, stereo headphone/speaker connector"

On audio...

"IDT Integrated Audio"

And all the result on the web just mimic the above. The info in the system folder was no more specific.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Unless you have a jack specifically labeled 'line in', it's not stereo. Even a line-in jack may not be stereo.
Note that you would not be able to send the signal directly from the turntable to a computer input (or even an audio interface input) as turntables need a strong preamp. If you have a tape output on your old stereo receiver, you could use that to send to two inputs on an audio interface.
Alternatively, they sell USB turntables that can plug directly into your computer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Long story to a short answer...

Years ago many laptops had a line in jack, but for various reasons they've largely gone away. What has generally replaced them in a "combo jack" which can serve as a microphone in or a line in. Microphones to plug into this jack are few and low quality, and largely terminate in a mono jack.

However, if presented with a stereo plug the common combo jack will record stereo. For example if you were to run a stereo 1/8" jack from a line or headphone out on a computer, tablet, phone, or MPR3 player into a stereo 1/8" jack on your laptop. Levels and impedance may not be ideal, there can be some other glitches, but you could do that.

Classic turntables expect to find a phono input on the other end. This has a special response curve that is NOT the same as what is put out by most anything else. Because of this there are little adapter boxes sold to provide the official RIAA Phono output from a regular line level input. So if you had a nice turntable, you'd need to go from the turntable to an "phono" adapter to line out to your probably not very good and perhaps not well level matched laptop combo jack.

THE SHORT ANSWER:
Unless you own a nice turntable already, the simplest way, and therefore the best practical way, is to get a USB turntable. This will supply sound via a USB port to Audacity and you can record any LP you want. Even if you only want to record this one special record, this is straightforward, produces something listenable, and isn't all that expensive.

THE LONG, HIGHTEST QUALITY ANSWER:
Get a good turntable, good cartridge, plug it into an amplifier with a phono input and a monitor or line out output (or use a stand-alone phono to line adapter) and then plug that into a decent stereo USB sound interface and then record into the computer. If there is a lot of surface noise, scratches, etc on your record(s) there is software that can remove a lot of those artifacts.

Hope that helps.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-06-2017, 02:49 PM

If you are wanting to convert your LPs you can buy a USB record player designed specifically to do that.

We got one for my parents a few years ago. Super simple and not a lot of money.

Edit - looks like the poster above me covered this. +1 to the USB record player
Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Now you all got me really feeling out of touch.

I had no idea there were such a thing as USB turntables out there, and that looks like the route I'm going to take.

As mentioned before, I'm having a bit of fun getting caught up on the updates in technology since I last was on stage many yahrens ago.

I appreciate all the help. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
Now you all got me really feeling out of touch.

I had no idea there were such a thing as USB turntables out there, and that looks like the route I'm going to take.

As mentioned before, I'm having a bit of fun getting caught up on the updates in technology since I last was on stage many yahrens ago.

I appreciate all the help. Thanks.
Despite digitalizing your LP I would buy a turntable again, and I will
Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone Sub View Post
Tritone,
please see my PM to you from a week or so back.

thanks
amyfb

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD