The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Default black vs clear trebles

Can anyone comment on their personal experience using black vs clear trebles?

What about bronze vs silver bass? I've only use silver bass with clear trebles so far - I think it's OKAY, but... I've got nothing to compare to! When I started playing with different strings on my acoustic, D'Addario EXP really impressed me!

I'm hoping to try out:

D'Addario EJ32: Silver /w black trebles
D'Addario EJ34: 80/20 Bronze Ball End /w black trebles

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Wink Dyed strings

I'm really excited to hear what a difference players think they make!

Last edited by Tommy; 01-22-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM

I've got a set of the D'Addario Pro-Arte Silverplated EJ49 with black treble strings on my classical guitar now, but I don't play classical music.

The strings are OK, but I'm not terribly excited about them. Personally, I find the black treble strings hard to see against the dark brown fretboard. The next set of strings I order will have the clear nylon treble strings.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 AM

I use La Bella 850B-HT strings. These are extra hard tension strings with black trebles and bronzewound basses. I love them: good quality, long-lasting, reasonably priced and great sound.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 PM

My experience was they (ernie ball black treble) seemed to fall apart. I would notice fuzz on the strings and over time they string would sound terrible. Even whe it was tuned it had a dead sound to the string. This happened even after replacing strings. Maybe its just the ernie balls, but i tend to steer clear these days.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerFlicker View Post
My experience was they (ernie ball black treble) seemed to fall apart. I would notice fuzz on the strings and over time they string would sound terrible. Even whe it was tuned it had a dead sound to the string. This happened even after replacing strings. Maybe its just the ernie balls, but i tend to steer clear these days.
I've been pretty confident with my D'Addario experiences so far... I'll have to let you know how they turn out...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I've got a few sets of the D'Addario EJ34s that should be here any day and those will go right on one guitar.

I just ordered some La Bella 850B-HT that I hope to see by the end of the week.

I'm excited to try them out and will report back for what that's worth. (still pretty new to nylon.)

Matt
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM

I play the D'Addario EJ32 with black trebles. I like the little bit brighter sound of them and they look cool too.

I have never had a problem seeing them, but I play black strings on my ukes too.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

My experience with the black nylon strings has been on the lowest-end string sets I could buy, so they were naturally not very good. My Alhambra came with D'addario EXP extra hard tension (EXP44) strings on it, and I like those a lot. They lasted a very long time even when I was playing several hours a day, and I think the treble sound from them was decent. I tried out a set of the D'addario Pro Arté Composites, Hard tension (EJ46C) and didn't like the composite string at all (it's the G string), it was too thin compared to the others and the tension felt too high in it, again compared to the other strings in the set. I ditched that one and used the regular Pro Arté set for a while. Those strings were fine, but I liked the feel of the EXPs more, maybe because of the higher tension and maybe just because the basses are coated. I'll probably try out some other strings in the future, but I don't plan to actively seek out black nylon sets any time soon, I never thought they were very good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical