The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Default New to the Nylon World, seeking advice

Hi, I primarily play steel string fingerstyle guitar. I do have a Esteban Classical guitar I purchased off ebay, including a hardshell case and an amp for 80 bucks.

I'm in University and I recently changed my major to Music. I'm now taking formal guitar lessons (for the first time in my life) and I will be using a classical guitar for the next few years.

So I figured it was about time I upgrade to a decent Classical Guitar.

We're talking a price range from 300-500 US dollars.

I know virtually nothing about the different makes, woods, etc on classical guitars, or what sort of preference I'd have.

So whats the best classical guitar I could get in that price range?
Unknown Handmade (Solid Spruce/Koa)
Takamine EG501S
Breedlove AC250 SM-12
Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Hey Mannix,
I have a nice Yamaha in that price range. Like new with an extra set of Savarez strings if you have an interest. Plays and sounds very nice. Here's a link.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-C...74-i1599035.gc
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 AM

Are the formal guitar lessons you'll be taking in classical guitar? If they are I'd suggest you talk to the instructor about what he or she would recommend. I'm going to guess they will suggest you go with a true classical guitar as opposed to a crossover. In your price range you should be able to find one with a solid spruce or cedar top, the back and sides will most likely be laminated. Rosewood is the traditional material for back & side but in your price range mahagony or sapele is fairly common. The neck width at the nut will be about 52 mm with a 650 mm scale, and it will most likely have a flat fretboard rather than a radius. The wider string spacing will make learning some classical techniques easier than the narrow string spacing of crossovers. Playability is going to be really important, I'd rank that higher than tone in a student level guitar. Classical guitars are usually made with a "Spanish Heel", the neck & neck block are one piece and the sides are built into the neck, and they typically don't have an adjustable truss rod. As a result classical guitars don't have as many options for adjustment to improve playability as a steel string does.

Alhambra, Yamaha, Cordoba are probably the big three in your price range. There are quite a few other brands like Orpheus Valley or LaPatrie worth checking out. You might also find a used Kenny Hill Estudio model in your price range. Guitar Centers carry Yamaha, Cordoba and this place in Richmond VA, http://classicalguitarshop.com/ has Alahambra. This store in Philadelphia PA, http://classicalguitarstore.com/ might be worth checking out as well.

Regards,
Ed
Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

I'm looking at the Alhambra 4P I think atm. On that site you sent me its 629 free shipping with the case. In other places its a lot more total. So I might invest in that.

It is classical guitar lessons, and my teacher actually said any classical guitar works, even the very cheap one I had if I wanted. But he didn't seem all that enthusiastic and I think its best I play a guitar I enjoy playing more.

So far I've heard great things about the Alhambra 4P so...I think I've made my decision =] thanks guys.
Unknown Handmade (Solid Spruce/Koa)
Takamine EG501S
Breedlove AC250 SM-12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical