The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM

Default Sorry for another guitar support question, but...

I am looking for options to use with my satin finished dread. I play in the classical position, guitar's waist on my left leg (right handed player), and I don't like using a footstool as it does give me back aches. I have seen some suction cup models but I fear that these won't stick to the satin finish of the guitar. I seen the Dynarette and I tried a simulation of that idea with a similar sized pillow, and I was having troubles with the guitar slipping away (both guitar and pillow contact slipping, and pillow to leg slipping). This could be from the softer material but don't know for sure. Any other suggestions and/or ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 AM

Almost any non-gloss finish will not work with suction cups.

Ergoplay provides smooth-surface stickers that you can attach to a satin-finished guitar but I don't like those. I think Kling-On also sells stickers like these. One guitarist installed two pieces of clear tap-plate material (golpeador or pick-guard) to the side of his oil-finished guitar so he could use a guitar support with suction cups.

The new Dynarette supposedly has a non-slip fabric on the bottom. I have the old one and it only slips when I wear pants of certain fabrics. When it does slip, a sheet of gripping liner solves the problem.

Your other option is a Neck-up which attaches to an endpin. You would need to install an endpin.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:00 AM

Thanks, GuitarVlog. The guitar in topic is a dread and already has an endpin - however the guitar has a pup installed so the endpin is the larger 1/4" jack. I'll look more into the Dynarette and the Neck-Up...
Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 AM

I checked out the Neck-Up and it seems to still have a suction cup for where the lift support meets the body. Perhaps the Dynarette may be better for me...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical