The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Local pickup and cash only! No exceptions. Thatís what I do. Takes the mystery out of it and I meet at a safe location.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

I posted a car on ebay and CL yesterday.

First reply on ebay was from someone with 0 feedback count, ambiguously saying "hello seller, I am highly interested in your ad. it still available. please kindly get back to me with your final price" followed by a phone number

first reply to CL was from someone who said "hello seller, I am highly interested in your car. it still available. please kindly get back to me" followed by a phone number

not suspicious at all.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I've actually paid with a check for a few high dollar items, a truck for one. Wife was with me and we where driving our late model SUV. People are usually a good judge of character. I wouldn't have done it though, lol even though I know I'm honest.

You wouldn't want to shaft a lot of the good O'l boys around these parts anyway. They'd be waiting in your driveway.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 AM

CASH ONLY for anything I sell on CL.

I do most of my deals at my local bank where they let me use a private room free of charge. I also have them check the bills to be sure they aren't counterfeit. Service with a smile at my bank!

I've also used my local Police Station for many deals. Makes everyone feel safe.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
What's a check? Over here we use cheque's.
Do we still use them? I haven't written a cheque in years. I don't even have a cheque book any more.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:19 AM

Ya, cash only. Banker would know that.
Glad our police stations allow transactions
in their parking lot.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Do we still use them? I haven't written a cheque in years. I don't even have a cheque book any more.
Yep, use them all the time to pay bills. I don't trust companies (and certainly individuals) enough to give them direct access to my banking accounts. Checks are simple enough and easy to track.

The think I find surprising in this thread is that people still try these scams (and even more surprisingly I suppose it that some folks still fall for them)!
Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Or if you're interested in 'playing' with him then tell him you'll take a check but all he can take is a picture of the guitar. When the check clears then he can come back and take the real guitar.

David
David's suggestion is EXACTLY how a cheque should be treated. Although few of us use or receive cheques now that was always the accepted practice.

However , as I'm sure I've mentioned before, and assuming that you have some sort of mobile device, why not do a money transfer direct from his account to yours?

It is free of charges, safe and instant.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

And if taking cash, you are best suited to meet at your bank where they can test for counterfeit and you can deposit it directly.

Large bills and large amounts are risky even with cash.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 AM
A Rainbow in Curved Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I was amazed when I moved to New York 6 years ago (back in the UK now) and everyone had a cheque book.
No, in New York nobody has a cheque book. They have checkbooks. If you guys have left this thing to the Americans, we get to decide how to spell it.

When I was a very little kid, like say three or four years old, I would see my mother write checks for things and couldn't get my head around the concept. To me it looked like free money. "Mommy, can I have [x]?" "No, sweetie, we don't have the money." "Just write a check, Mommy!" It took her a while to make me understand that you needed to actually have the money in order to write a check. That didn't pass the basic logic test to me. "But if you need to have the money, why don't you just pay with the money?"
Old 11-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
No, in New York nobody has a cheque book. They have checkbooks. If you guys have left this thing to the Americans, we get to decide how to spell it.

When I was a very little kid, like say three or four years old, I would see my mother write checks for things and couldn't get my head around the concept. To me it looked like free money. "Mommy, can I have [x]?" "No, sweetie, we don't have the money." "Just write a check, Mommy!" It took her a while to make me understand that you needed to actually have the money in order to write a check. That didn't pass the basic logic test to me. "But if you need to have the money, why don't you just pay with the money?"
HA! You must be around the age of my kids, they said the same. I write one a month now.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

About a month ago I wrote a cheque for my Allotment Association membership and my seeds order.
The previous cheque was for he same thing exactly 12 months ago.

In the UK we pay be credit card, debit card - all "swipe-able" up to I think £30. or by direct bank to bank transfer.

I do carry cash in my wallet - maybe £10-£20 no more - never carry coin - I leave that inn the car for the burglars!

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Or if you're interested in 'playing' with him then tell him you'll take a check but all he can take is a picture of the guitar. When the check clears then he can come back and take the real guitar.

David
^This

Perfect,
Star of the County Down (arr. Stephen Wake):

My music on Reverbnation

Misc. stuff on Soundcloud

2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

I'd rather be a good version of me than a bad version of someone else....
Old 11-18-2019, 11:28 AM

I have sold a few things on Craigslist. All went well.

A couple of years ago I advertised a trumpet (a Bach Strad) on CL. It was on for a few weeks with no activity and finally I heard from a high school girl. We emailed back and forth and finally mom talked to me. We arranged for me to bring it to their home. I told her that I needed cash and she acted kind of insulted, but I explained and all was fine. They wanted to have her trumpet teacher there to check it out which worried me a little. He looked it over and played it and told her if she didn't want it, he was going to buy it. I could have kissed him. Boy was he good -what I was aiming for when I thought that it would be a good idea to take up the trumpet 45 years after I gave it up. I would have asked him to give me lessons if they didn't want it.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:31 AM

My wife and I do all of our business with checks ( I don't know what a "cheque" is). I don't have a debit card and my wife says I can't be trusted with large amounts of cash (I probably couldn't be trusted with the debit card either) so I obviously, don't buy many guitars on CL or have to meet in police stations to buy or sell. Somehow I still manage to spend enough money to keep both of us satisfied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion