The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default The oldest scam in the book

Quick rant here

This ever happen to you?

I have a really nice guitar listed for sale on my local craigslist at really great price. I received an email from someone who’s interested and they included a phone number. Always a good sign so gave them a call and we set up a time to meet.

The prospective buyer was a good player and was supposedly blown away by your guitar. After about 20 minutes of sampling the guitar he says he wants it and said He has no problem with the price. Then He explains that he didn’t bring cash and shows me his work ID which states he’s the president of a well-known bank a couple towns away but didn’t mention what branch it was. After all that he asks if If he could pay with a check.....

I of course said that I do not feel comfortable with that and we made arrangements To get together tomorrow ...you can figure the rest of the story

I still have faith in humanity

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-18-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:00 AM

Well Iím glad u didnít take a check. Iíve bought and sold all kinds of stuff on Craigslist. Actually got the cabinets for my first house on there but I never except checks, itís cash only and if itís a large amount Iíll meet them at my bank to verify itís not counterfeit. Also rarely do I tell folks where I live let alone have them come to my house..... always meet at a public place with lots of witnesses and cameras. Safety first
1995 Gibson J45 Special (mahogany)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had that experience but am glad that you didn't get sucked in by his BS and accepted a check. I have turned down deals when offered a check and always state "CASH SALE ONLY" in my Craigslist ads.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:03 AM

If someone can write a check or buy a money order, they can pay with cash...
Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 AM

You guys are killing the integrity of checks.....
Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 AM

What's a check? Over here we use cheque's.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 AM

Or if you're interested in 'playing' with him then tell him you'll take a check but all he can take is a picture of the guitar. When the check clears then he can come back and take the real guitar.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine
Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Or if you're interested in 'playing' with him then tell him you'll take a check but all he can take is a picture of the guitar. When the check clears then he can come back and take the real guitar.

David
I like that! LOL A "representation" of money in exchange for a "representation" of the guitar! Perfect!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
You guys are killing the integrity of checks.....
In my area, we seem to meet at the seller's home. I like to bring cash as it is universally acceptable (or used to be) but have given and have accepted checks. Depends upon your feeling about the other person.... To meet at a public place makes less sense in the country and especially with large items, such as a washing machine or stove. If I had to drive several miles every time someone wanted to look at something, I might as well give it away.

Kinnaird 000 Adk/Ziracote
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Leach "Arctos" OM Millenium Sequioa/Macassar Ebony
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
McAlister baritone Adk/Bubinga
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
'31 National Duolian
banjos of all kinds, mandolin, autoharp, tiple...
Old 11-18-2019, 07:22 AM

to be honest I'd always be slightly suspicious if someone doesn't try and haggle me down even a bit. If they offer over the asking price then that's obviously a dead giveaway!
I've got two cheques (checks!) on my wall at home that people have sent me "in good faith" in advance of me posting the instrument only to find they're counterfeit. Normally they start spouting angry religious rubbish at me when I tell them my bank has confirmed it's fake!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:27 AM
Formerly "PastorSteve"

All a check is, is an IOU. As stated, if they have a checking account, they have a debit card. If they have a debit card, they can go to the closest 7-Eleven, bank, gas station.... and get cash. Or, come back tomorrow with cash. I accept no IOU's.

hamburger.jpg

FOR SALE: Breedlove Frontier Concerto E, all Mahogany
Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
What's a check? Over here we use cheque's.
No we don't! You mean we did... like back when the world was in black and white. I was amazed when I moved to New York 6 years ago (back in the UK now) and everyone had a cheque book. I hadn't even seen one in 15 years. Seeing people get a utility bill, carefully check it, then send a cheque in the mail was amazing to me - i'd never seen anything like it before because I'm only 40 and if my parents used to do that, I was too young to remember at the time.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:48 AM

I donít bring strangers into my home for cash transactions involving my musical collection. Itís a risk I deem unnecessary in selling any item.

We usually meet in the GC parking lot in daylight hours and conduct our business.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
Ď91 Les Paul Standard
Ď52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-18-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I like that! LOL A "representation" of money in exchange for a "representation" of the guitar! Perfect!
Did something similar when I owned a sporting goods store years ago. Customer came in to buy a rifle scope, but said he could get it for less from a well know catalog supplier (before internet) And wanted me to match the price. After some discussion I agreed, took his money, put the scope under the counter and told him to come back in a week when it got delivered.

He actually got my point, paid full price and was a great customer and still is a friend today.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringpickin View Post
Did something similar when I owned a sporting goods store years ago. Customer came in to buy a rifle scope, but said he could get it for less from a well know catalog supplier (before internet) And wanted me to match the price. After some discussion I agreed, took his money, put the scope under the counter and told him to come back in a week when it got delivered.

He actually got my point, paid full price and was a great customer and still is a friend today.
Ha! Fantastic!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion