The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 AM
JBCROTTY JBCROTTY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Southern California (But a Colorado Native)
Posts: 731
Default

People have their brand and tone preferences. Yamaha gets a ton of well deserved love here, and their higher end stuff is exceptional quality. Those that like the tone and the brand will argue its as good as any other quality manufacturer - this is also my opinion.

Yamaha's price points at every level are very competitive, or better, than the US manufacturers. This value for money, in my opinion, causes many to have a lower quality perception of the higher end Yamahas. Others will argue they would rather have a Taylor, Martin or Gibson when spending the larger dollar amounts at the high end. It really depends on what you are after.

I have an LL16 - I have not played anything higher than that. Build quality and tone, even at what I consider a moderate level with the LL, is every bit as worthy as any other large manufacturer in the same range. If you like the tone of these guitars, the build quality is as good or better than anyone else in the world.

Like every other comparative discussion on here, it comes down to tone and brand preferences. These high end Yamaha models are hard to get your hands on in the US so many people do not have firsthand experience with them, so the responses you get should be digested with this in mind.
__________________
Justin
________________
Gibson J-15
Yamaha LL16RD
Alvarez MD60BG
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 AM
s2y s2y is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere middle America
Posts: 4,927
Default

Have never seen the upper end Yamaha acoustics. They used to make some super high end basses that were extremely nice.

About the only Yamahas I see in the wild are low end.
__________________
Acoustic gear:
KR fanned 7 string
Greg German DB7
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Take this for example at a place in the UK...At a "sale price" right now...

https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/yamah...-guitar-p31826

This on sale 56 is at $11,219 CND dollars, or $8543 USD.

If they are paying those prices they know and accept a certain truth about these upper echelon Yamahas that the average person over here is not understanding. They are doing the comparison with those Martins, and Lowdens, and Taylors, etc...and seeing a value proposition even at those high prices...

Having said all this, I would have been priced out of the LL56 market a long time ago if that is what I would have had to pay to get one...It just would not have happened...In relative terms I'm feeling pretty fortunate right now...Especially considering the considerable discount I ended up getting from Yamaha Canada for their royal screw up on my original LL36 order...

The one advantage that a Brit and other market folks have that we don't? They don't need to wait 8 months to get one. That has to be worth something. Is it worth 6k+ CND? Not to me
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
People have their brand and tone preferences. Yamaha gets a ton of well deserved love here, and their higher end stuff is exceptional quality. Those that like the tone and the brand will argue its as good as any other quality manufacturer - this is also my opinion.

Yamaha's price points at every level are very competitive, or better, than the US manufacturers. This value for money, in my opinion, causes many to have a lower quality perception of the higher end Yamahas. Others will argue they would rather have a Taylor, Martin or Gibson when spending the larger dollar amounts at the high end. It really depends on what you are after.

I have an LL16 - I have not played anything higher than that. Build quality and tone, even at what I consider a moderate level with the LL, is every bit as worthy as any other large manufacturer in the same range. If you like the tone of these guitars, the build quality is as good or better than anyone else in the world.

Like every other comparative discussion on here, it comes down to tone and brand preferences. These high end Yamaha models are hard to get your hands on in the US so many people do not have firsthand experience with them, so the responses you get should be digested with this in mind.
Well said man...so true...
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
I have an LL500 top of the line handmade manufactured between 1999-2003. It is outstanding in every way, sounds VERY close to my much more expensive Goodall Standard. Impeccable workmanship, huge sound, very articulate and responsive. They retailed around $1100 when new, an absurd value at that price.

LL500 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

LL500 BACK by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr
Every time you post this picture I'm like, "Yum"...;-0 That is a beauty man...I love color of the wood...Not sure if it's just the light in the picture or what...It just looks unique...the color that is...

Is that thing as mint as it looks?
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
I have an LL500 top of the line handmade manufactured between 1999-2003. It is outstanding in every way, sounds VERY close to my much more expensive Goodall Standard. Impeccable workmanship, huge sound, very articulate and responsive. They retailed around $1100 when new, an absurd value at that price.

LL500 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

LL500 BACK by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr
1100 dollars...my god...don't ever part with that thing man...It wouldn't even make sense given what you bought it for...

Would that thing had been the LL56 of the day? Or 36?
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago

Last edited by Dbone; 11-17-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:02 AM
mcduffnw mcduffnw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli View Post
My L25-A that was top of the line in the 80īs after owning it for twenty five years is still,overall the best guitar I ever played.

The L-25A was the top of the line of Yamaha's quote/un-quote regular production guitars at that point in time.

THEN...there are ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the ultra high end full on custom models that they had/have been making...for the Asian market...since the late 60's/early 70's. There are Japanese Collector vintage guitar books that catalog many of these Yamaha instruments...but again...those books rarely make it over here to the US for anyone to see...you can't read them...I have one...unless you are fluent in Japanese, and I am not, so much like Playboy, I just look at the pictures...er...I mean read the articles...{;-)

There is another entire universe of Yamaha guitars that almost no one has seen here in the USA...just glimpses here and there.

If you are a John Denver fan, you have seen it with John's L-53 Custom 6 string and several other custom 6 and 12 strings after that. But also, back in the late 70's/early to mid 80's Paul Simon, Jimmy Paige, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen...I believe...and John Lennon were also playing custom Yamaha acoustic guitars. Google "John Lennon's 'The Dragon' Custom Yamaha Acoustic Guitar" for fun {;-)

Suffice to say, Yamaha has been "holding out" on all of us guitar geeks here in the US and Canada...and Europe...with an amazing array of custom acoustic guitars that would rival anything that we have seen or heard from the high end custom acoustic guitar world.

Alas...sigh...


duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Arthur Slowhand Arthur Slowhand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Cotswolds, UK
Posts: 301
Default

Irrational, I know, but I think I'd feel a bit of 'brand anxiety' if I were to spend big money on a Yamaha. At, say, LS26+ money I'd be looking at Martin, Collings or something from a smaller, 'bespoke', maker like Brook.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:13 AM
247hoopsfan 247hoopsfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
1100 dollars...my god...don't ever part with that thing man...It wouldn't even make sense given what you bought it for...

Would that thing had been the LL56 of the day? Or 36?

Yes, it was the equivalent of the LL36. The binding has intricate layers of wood, maple strip down the back. I bought mine off Craigslist 10+ years ago, with the original custom Yamaha case for quite a bit less than $1100. Crazy deal....
You will love your LL56. I've never seen one.
__________________
1972 Yamaha FG200 My 1st guitar
1998 Yamaha DW5S
2003 Yamaha LL500
2007 Larrivee JCL 40th Anniversary Edition
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 AM
RP's Avatar
RP RP is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 14,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Take this for example at a place in the UK...At a "sale price" right now...

https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/yamah...-guitar-p31826

This on sale 56 is at $11,219 CND dollars, or $8543 USD.

If they are paying those prices they know and accept a certain truth about these upper echelon Yamahas that the average person over here is not understanding. They are doing the comparison with those Martins, and Lowdens, and Taylors, etc...and seeing a value proposition even at those high prices...
However, and I hope some of our UK folks will chime in here, we generally hear from UK members about the high price and relative scarcity of American made acoustics...
__________________
FOR SALE Emerald X20 https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566215

FOR SALE Rainsong H-DR1100 NS2 12-fret https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566392
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

When I originally started on my quest for a higher end Yammie this is the precise guitar I originally had asked Yamaha Canada about sourcing -->

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars...-hard-case.htm

An even more rare special version of an LL36. They just laughed at me basically...Yamaha will do the odd weird one off here and there and push them for sale into the markets where they know people will buy them for sure without an order ahead...

I contacted peach guitars about this guitar...they said it sold in a heart beat almost as soon as it came in...
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Irrational, I know, but I think I'd feel a bit of 'brand anxiety' if I were to spend big money on a Yamaha. At, say, LS26+ money I'd be looking at Martin, Collings or something from a smaller, 'bespoke', maker like Brook.
Fair enough. Even though they are a little more mainstream over your way relative to us over here, I suspect that they still aren't highly readily available. Still a niche product...

I understand where you are coming from. You are normal. Most people care a lot about brand. I am what I would call abnormal. I look at the merits of a guitar only, and consider very little the head stock label.

As 2 extremes: I have seen the level of quality for an LL56 first hand. I have also seen the level of build quality first hand for a certain high end American brand and there was no comparison. The build on a LL56 was at a level that this US made unit could not even begin to come close too.

In this case some would reward their business to the Gibson (as just a theoretical example) because of their heritage, despite a potentially obvious quality difference. I just cannot ignore such problems. I am a very practical person. A brand name has little to do with what directs me.
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Irrational, I know, but I think I'd feel a bit of 'brand anxiety' if I were to spend big money on a Yamaha. At, say, LS26+ money I'd be looking at Martin, Collings or something from a smaller, 'bespoke', maker like Brook.
I will say I had never heard of Brook guitars before now...Took a look at their site...Yeah, yer not wrong...Yum...They look like an option too ;-0
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 AM
darylcrisp darylcrisp is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,715
Default

Will let you know my thoughts in a day or two. LS36 due for arrival monday. The price was very reasonable. I have owned multiple guitars in different models from Martin, Taylor, Collings,Goodall, Maton, Gibson and a few luthier builds. I do setups on guitar, mandolin, banjo, weissenborn, and mt dulcimers, so I know what I like in regards to tone and playability.

Looking for a long term keeper. I have an all mahogany Xbrace Taylor 522ce which is an excellent instrument. Been wanting a rosewood to pair with it.
Will keep you updated on my thoughts.
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 11-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Will let you know my thoughts in a day or two. LS36 due for arrival monday. The price was very reasonable. I have owned multiple guitars in different models from Martin, Taylor, Collings,Goodall, Maton, and a few luthier builds. I do setups on guitar, mandolin, banjo, weissenborn, and mt dulcimers, so I know what I like in regards to tone and playability.

Looking for a long term keeper. I have an all mahogany Xbrace Taylor 522ce which is an excellent instrument. Been wanting a rosewood to pair with it.
Will keep you updated on my thoughts.
d
Please do.

I gather you purchased this used, and you are in the states?
__________________
RainSong Concert Series CO-WS1000N2 (en route)
Yamaha LL56 Custom ARE (en route)
Yamaha LL36 ARE (the guitar that was never meant to be)
Aria AF-10N
GBNF: A Seagull "something or other" I used to have 20 years ago
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=