The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 PM

Planet Waves 2-way for me... it is kind of expensive but I only have 2 guitars. I maybe go through 3-4 sets for each guitar a year.

Aprilaire 600 series on the Furnace, 17gal/day whole house humidifier. THAT one is expensive. Probably cost over $1000 5 years ago including the plumbing and electrical + ductwork changes. Just paid about $300 to replace the water solenoid last week. That said I will not pay for that service again.. next time the solenoid fails I"ll do it myself which will keep it around $100.

The whole house humdifier has a whole lot of other benefits other than helping guitars of course.

I have a pretty beefy samsung dehumidifier for the summer.. I set it up to drain into our sump pump. Keeps the finished basement with AC at 45% on the dime all summer. My humidipaks generally never wear out unless we are in the part of the year where the heat has to be turned on.

We had cold dry air (30F, 25% humdity) yesterday.. The Aprilaire unit couldn't keep the house about the low 20% range so the Humdipaks are definitely needed. Luckily that is rare for it to be so dry in the winter here.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:47 PM

I use the wet sponge in a perforated ziplock bag. Works great.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 PM

Well rung out sponge in a Ziploc bag. Several holes made in bag with a hole punch. Costs maybe 50 cents.
Several solid body electrics not worth mentioning on an acoustic guitar forum
Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...that’s what I do as well. Always have a bunch fat and rehydrated to swap out with the others when they dry out.

This looks exactly like my setup.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
More humidipaks don't make it more humid - they just last longer than fewer. The only time you might need more is if you're starting out with a really dry CASE and it needs to be brought up to a healthy baseline - otherwise the case may be sucking up most of the humidity until it gets into that 45-55% neighborhood. But they make 72% humidipaks for "seasoning" a case that's starting out in a very dry state. Once everything is up around 45-55, three humidipaks should hold that just as well as six. But if you're leaving the guitar in the case for an extended period, like if you're leaving town for a few months, they doubling up is smart because you've got that much more humidity "capacity" to work with... I had a pretty good talk with the folks at Boveda when i was first using these things to better understand the workings. They were incredibly helpful.

-Ray
I don't have a dry case that needs seasoning. Actually more packs have indeed raised the RH in my gig bag. My hard cases do fine with three, maybe with one extra. But it's the gig bag that needs a little more help, for obvious reasons. I don't leave the guitars in cases for extended periods and I don't leave the house for months so no issues there. So, in my situation, six are cruising speed for my gig bag.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:19 PM

I use the D'Addario "between the strings" humidifiers and remove the soft sponge material and replace it with PVA sponge that can be cut and used as replacement.

The PVA sponge holds something like 10 times the water of the soft sponge and works very well. The built-in sponge pad in my Humidicase housing my Cordoba is this PVA material.

Here's a link to the PVA sponge block that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-210-...4050272&sr=8-4

If you're using water beads or some type of specially concocted process and you seldom need to add water then it may be a tip-off that it really isn't humidifying effectively.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:25 PM

My favorite is the Music Nomad. You can also buy just the sponges and put a couple of them in a soap container with holes. Regular sponges tend to mold.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I don't have a dry case that needs seasoning. Actually more packs have indeed raised the RH in my gig bag. My hard cases do fine with three, maybe with one extra. But it's the gig bag that needs a little more help, for obvious reasons. I don't leave the guitars in cases for extended periods and I don't leave the house for months so no issues there. So, in my situation, six are cruising speed for my gig bag.
That makes sense. Gig bags (I guess depending on the specific bag) tend not to hold humidity near as well as a case, so I could see more paks being needed to maintain a given humidity level. I tried using humidipaks in a gig bag once and it was a thoroughly failed experiment, but I suppose there are gig bags that would have done better....
Old 11-18-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I use the D'Addario "between the strings" humidifiers and remove the soft sponge material and replace it with PVA sponge that can be cut and used as replacement.

The PVA sponge holds something like 10 times the water of the soft sponge and works very well. The built-in sponge pad in my Humidicase housing my Cordoba is this PVA material.

https://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-210-...4050272&sr=8-4

If you're using water beads or some type of specially concocted process and you seldom need to add water then it may be a tip-off that it really isn't humidifying effectively.
Thanks for this link...I was looking for something to replace the sponges in my between the string units...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:36 AM

I use the Humistat #3 ( https://www.humistat.com/product/hum...model-3-black/ ) to humidify and/or maintain humidity. I have never been in a situation where I needed to de-humidify. Seems the cap on the fill area keeps the water from just flowing through. Sort of like power draw on electrical items - if the device is consuming power, than it's flowing through; if it's off (no need), no power use occurs.

The Humistat is pretty popular with violin users. I also use the small, cylindrical Humistat #1 for flutes. If I have a number of flutes in the same (stationary) box, I have used the beads w/a piece of sponge in a small plastic case (similar to the soap dish type) with small holes in the top.
http://www.worldtrad.org
Old 11-18-2019, 07:00 AM

Plastic bag, a few holes, and a dampened sponge PRN.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Perforated soap box and sponges or sectioned and folded super chamois.
Cordoba Orchestra 12fret, Takamine TC135SC, Yamaha APX5na
Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 AM

I use the soap dish and sponge, when needed. I have a hygrometer in the room and it is staying in the 45% range for the time being.

Once it hits 40% for a couple of days in a row the soap dish goes in every case.
2019 Takamine GD93
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-18-2019, 11:32 AM

I use a $15 Vicks Vaporizer 4 days a week for 2 hours in dry Arizona. I have 2 acoustics so I have them on stands between the vapor. The vapor doesn't touch the wood. This has had an almost immediate response. I used the feel the sharp fret ends and after a 2 hr treatment, it goes away.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Thanks Rudy, the stock sponge is garbage.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion