The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 PM

Default New (to me) X7 comments

Hi all - I just received a beautiful X7 with a Pao Ferro veneer from AGF member Eric (Edp251) who was GREAT to work with....thanks Eric.

My first impressions follow:

The guitar is beautiful - and very well made. The veneer is fantastic.

The guitar is louder than I expected - some of that may be the design of the upward-facing sound hole.

The guitar is extremely comfortable to play and the neck is very nice. I can easily use my sliding capo that rests permanently above the nut when not in use.

I changed the strings out to true mediums (13s) and my DADGAD tuning worked great - good balance across the sonic spectrum on this short scale guitar. I might need a better setup eventually, but it will do for now.

All in all, I am very happy and impressed with the new guitar. I'll have it out to an Irish trad session tomorrow night and see how it fares in an instrument mix.

Cheers,
Dave

1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Gorgeous guitar Dave! Congrats!!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Congratulations on your new guitar!
Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations. I have the same guitar with a different veneer and it's wonderful. I guess by some standards a "parlor", but sounds bigger and fuller than any parlor I've otherwise played.

You got a great deal on it too - I'm a little jealous of that, but I guess the higher cost I've paid was worth it for the roughly 10 months I've already gotten to play mine.

Enjoy it!

-Ray
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Very nice! Is that black carbon weave visible in the "eyes"?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Guest 928

Another fantastic musical instrument and piece of art. Congratulations!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:24 PM

Beautiful. Like the veneer on the headstock too. It works with the logo.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:31 PM

Wow...such beautaciousness
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-26-2019, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

I thought that there was forum rule against words 15 letters long. Although the guitar is worthy of such words.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I thought that there was forum rule against words 15 letters long.
I'm half German
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-27-2019, 09:02 AM

I had the guitar out to an Irish Trad session last night and put the guitar through its paces. Unfortunately, it is a bit quiet to go up against a couple of fiddles, a flute and a piano. The group happened to have a small cube amplifier, so I ended up plugging in and getting a bit of boost (as did the electric piano) to help balance the sound mix. It sounded great acoustically but worked better through the system. The room is a huge open space and there were lots of people around, so the sound projection was really dead. So, within reason, the guitar performed just fine. It will be heading down to Arizona with me next week for a week-long Irish music camp.

Soundwise, one of the other players commented that it was a little bassy when played acoustically...and I thought the same. With the true mediums (13s) on it, I wish I had a bit more treble out of the guitar.

As for my experience playing the guitar, I am REALLY SOLD on the playability and ergonomics of the guitar. I like the 24 inch scale much more than I suspected I would. The chord stretches are easier and I could flow through my patterns with ease. I really like the access up to the 12th fret and beyond.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Is this the version 3 or pre 2018?

Pretty guitar. Enjoy!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
Soundwise, one of the other players commented that it was a little bassy when played acoustically...and I thought the same. With the true mediums (13s) on it, I wish I had a bit more treble out of the guitar.
I missed this comment when this thread was first up. I find my X7 really string dependent when it comes to lights vs mediums. I sometimes play it with Martin Monels and I like it with both lights and mediums, although I don't find any real sound advantage to the mediums. But I mostly play it with DR Sunbeams and with those, I LOVE it with lights and basically didn't like it at all with mediums! Which really surprised me when I first put the mediums on - I was expecting the same great sound, but a bit more bass and volume but it just muddied up the whole spectrum.

Sunbeam lights seem to be my favorite strings with this guitar, and I find the sound nicely balanced, but it's not an overly bright guitar. I love a warm sounding guitar and find this combination about perfect. The X20 I had for a while was a bit more trebly than I liked, but the X7 hits my sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Is this the version 3 or pre 2018?
This is the current version (2018-2019) with the larger body and offset sound hole...
Old 11-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Nobody creates a more beautiful work of art that can also be played like a guitar than Emerald. Yours is clearly no exception....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 PM

Default New (to me) X7 comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post

....Soundwise, one of the other players commented that it was a little bassy when played acoustically...and I thought the same. With the true mediums (13s) on it, I wish I had a bit more treble out of the guitar.

I’ve been putting D’addario bluegrass strings on my 2016 X7. They feature mediums on the bottom and lights on top. It does a nice job firming up the bottom end while still providing simmering highs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber