The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Default NGD-Brazilian content

I had a major score today. I found a Larrivee on Craigslist last night, it looked like a D09 but the pictures were blurry. The price was really good, so I contacted the seller to ask for more clear pics. Turns out he makes his living as a "Storage Wars" guy, buying storage units sight unseen. He was on his way to an auction and did not have time to take more pics. He won a bid a few weeks ago and among the stuff were 2 guitars, a Martin and a Larrivee. The Martin sold quickly, and he still had the Larrivee. He said it was in excellent condition, but didn't know anything about it. So I took a gamble and drove an hour and half to meet him this afternoon. It was in a good case, but not a Larrivee case, so I was a little concerned until I opened it. Inside I found a MINT condition D09 Brazilian Flying Eagle. Not scratch on it, just a tiny ding on the top. I checked the neck, tweaked the truss rod ( the correct Larrivee wrench was inside the case) and put on a fresh set of strings. She sang like an angel, just like my D10 Brazilian Flying Eagle. I quickly handed over the cash and got home and cleaned her up, a light steel wool on the fretboard with a dab of mineral oil.

If you don't know about the Flying Eagles, they were limited run in 1998 for Guitar Center. Jean made 50 D-10's, and 100 D-09's all in Brazilian Rosewood. I feel unbelievably blessed to have one of each. One of my sons plays too, and he will gladly take care of the D-09 for me. Both of them sound exactly the same, that sizzle and glassy reverb of good Brazilian with amazing overtones and sustain. They both have gorgeous Brazilian, but the D-09 is even more figured than the D-10. Here are the pics, the D-10 on the left and the D-09 on the right. The D-10 has more abalone, and the D-09 has a glossed ebony headstock while the D-10 has a Brazilian one. Jean Larrivee always gets exquisite woods. These are amazing guitars.

Brazilian Flying Eagles by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

Last edited by 247hoopsfan; 11-17-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

What a score! Just Beautiful. Huge Larrivee fan. Would love to own a Brazilian some day.
Here is a picture of my unusual Larrivee D-09 with an African Walnut for back and sides. Tons, and tons of Reverb & Glass sound with mine.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
I had a major score today. I found a Larrivee on Craigslist last night, it looked like a D09 but the pictures were blurry. The price was really good, so I contacted the seller to ask for more clear pics. Turns out he makes his living as a "Storage Wars" guy, buying storage units sight unseen. He was on his way to an auction and did not have time to take more pics. He won a bid a few weeks and among the stuff were 2 guitars, a Martin and a Larrivee. The Martin sold quickly, and he still had the Larrivee. He said it was in excellent condition, but didn't know anything about it. So I took a gamble and drove an hour and half to meet him this afternoon. It was in a good case, but not a Larrivee case, so I was a little concerned until I opened it. Inside I found a MINT condition D09 Brazilian Flying Eagle. Not scratch on it, just a tiny ding on the top. I checked the neck, tweaked the truss rod ( the correct Larrivee wrench was inside the case) and put on a fresh set of strings. She sang like an angel, just like my D10 Brazilian Flying Eagle. I quickly handed over the cash and got home and cleaned her up, a light steel wool on the fretboard with a dab of mineral oil.

If you don't know about the Flying Eagles, they were limited run in 1998 for Guitar Center. Jean made 50 D-10's, and 100 D-09's all in Brazilian Rosewood. I feel unbelievably blessed to have one of each. One of my sons plays too, and he will gladly take care of the D-09 for me. Both of them sound exactly the same, that sizzle and glassy reverb of good Brazilian with amazing overtones and sustain. They both have gorgeous Brazilian, but the D-09 is even more figured than the D-10. Here are the pics, the D-10 on the left and the D-09 on the right. The D-10 has more abalone, and the D-09 has a glossed ebony headstock while the D-10 has a Brazilian one. Jean Larrivee always gets exquisite woods. These are amazing guitars.

Good eye. You have good taste, as indicated by your signature ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Some poor soul is wondering where his/her guitars went......congrats on that score!! Love Larrivee guitars!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Man, that is A pretty amazing score! Congrats on your new Larrivee!
Old 11-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Very nice, great find.
I'd some day, like to hear the difference between my L-10 and a braz. L-10.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default NGD-Brazilian content

How fabulous that you were able to jump on such a great opportunity! Congratulations on the new Larrivee!

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
Some poor soul is wondering where his/her guitars went......congrats on that score!! Love Larrivee guitars!

It was interesting talking to the guy, he's been doing this for 25 years. He's even won bids and found gold coins worth serious $$$ in the storage unit. He said usually they are the result of divorce or court ordered probate on estates with no will. And he frequently finds guitars. Pretty amazing to find one as rare as this Larrivee in a storage unit.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:55 PM

I took a few more pics in natural light today. The wood on this is just spectacular. The guitar was made in 1998, and who knows how long Jean had the wood before that. The Eagle inlay is handcarved by his wife Wendy out of silver and pearl.
And it sounds better than it looks.

51CB4E8D-465A-4F23-A8F5-0DF809EC8289 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

E4D61C76-2D53-4C87-8027-F65C35BE5797 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

7D2CD52D-1AFE-4DAF-A86B-196F971288C6 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I took a few more pics in natural light today. The wood on this is just spectacular. The guitar was made in 1998, and who knows how long Jean had the wood before that. The Eagle inlay is handcarved by his wife Wendy out of silver and pearl.
And it sounds better than it looks.

51CB4E8D-465A-4F23-A8F5-0DF809EC8289 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

E4D61C76-2D53-4C87-8027-F65C35BE5797 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

7D2CD52D-1AFE-4DAF-A86B-196F971288C6 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr
Truly, a beautiful and very unique set of Brazilian grain pattern. Love the high contrast! Really stands out.
I see in your signature that you also own a Goodall. How would you describe the difference in sound-tone-sustain, between your Brazilian Larrivee's and the Indian Rosewood Goodall?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

A great score. Congratulations. You do wonder what the back story is on these things. Each one is probably a unique story.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Truly, a beautiful and very unique set of Brazilian grain pattern. Love the high contrast! Really stands out.
I see in your signature that you also own a Goodall. How would you describe the difference in sound-tone-sustain, between your Brazilian Larrivee's and the Indian Rosewood Goodall?
That's a good question. They are really quite similar in tone and sustain. The Larrivee definitely has a little of that glassy reverb tone you hear people talk about in Brazilian rosewood. The Goodall is a little louder, probably because it is a slightly larger guitar, and deeper as well. To my ear, the Larrivee is a sweeter tone, the Goodall a little bolder. Both are remarkable guitars.
And your Larrivee in walnut is quite stunning as well. I've never seen walnut like that on a guitar.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:02 AM

Nice score, congrats. Beautiful woods as you say.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a good question. They are really quite similar in tone and sustain. The Larrivee definitely has a little of that glassy reverb tone you hear people talk about in Brazilian rosewood. The Goodall is a little louder, probably because it is a slightly larger guitar, and deeper as well. To my ear, the Larrivee is a sweeter tone, the Goodall a little bolder. Both are remarkable guitars.
And your Larrivee in walnut is quite stunning as well. I've never seen walnut like that on a guitar.
Jean said that he only had enough of this Special African Walnut to make 5 guitars. One of the many great things about him- he searches the world for great wood.
I have Two Walnut Larrivee's. This D-09 in African Walnut, and a D40 with Austrian Walnut. The two guitars sound completely different. The African Walnut is glassy like Brazilian...and has a ton of sustain and reverb. A very bright and delicate sounding Dread with sharper attack times like that of ebony. Quite beautiful tone. The Austrian Walnut is dry and warm. The African Walnut is Amazing in sound, as the sustain is so long and glassy, but I have tittered on selling it a few times as it is so different than my other guitars, and not as good for my playing style. However the African Walnut is inspirational and sometimes lends me to write tunes in a different perspective.
And the pièce de résistance(for my style of playing) is my One of a kind Larrivee D-40 Amazon rosewood. It has the sustain of Rosewood, and the bite of Maple.
I am still dying to hear some sound clips of your Brazilian. I am very intrigued. Very helpful information about your Goodall. As I have only played a few of them.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Now thats a pretty guitar from an underrated shop in my opinion. Now get to playing it !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion