The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Default New Mic Coming Heil PR35

I have more mics than I know what to do with, but found myself with some points at MF that were about to expire and a 20% off coupon, so I went for a Heil PR35. Anything I should know about it?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 AM

They come with a small high-pass/low cut switch, the kind you have to push with a very thin object. If you’re using it for vocals I recommend you use it and then forget about it, the PR35 has a very pronounced low end...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 AM

My favorite mic. It has some sizzle to it. It'll make a good singer sound better, but a bad singer exposed. It has some plosive on the P's in words singing. Overall its a killer mic.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:03 PM

I've been using one for years, and it's a terrific mic for my voice. In addition to what others have already said, I'll note that the mic has a fair amount of handling noise and will pick up noise from a mic stand (even noise communicated from the floor up a mic stand). This hasn't been a big problem for me, but it's worth being aware of.

Louis
Old 11-19-2019, 07:43 PM

The Heil PR35 competes with some hefty competition a few price ranges up. It is a dynamic mic that performs like a condensor. Not sure about now, but I do remember that it had the largest capsule out of any handheld dynamic. Works good on instruments too,
Bob Heil also designed and built Peter Frampton's talk box along with The Who's Quadraphenia PA system (was it at Wembley?).
Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I have been using it for years. They have a unique ability to make a hole in the mix for your voice to be. I love it.

Steve
Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 PM

My favourite vocal mic. Mine has died twice, despite never being dropped or abused - so it’s not the most robust dynamic mic - but it is the best sounding.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 11-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
My favourite vocal mic. Mine has died twice, despite never being dropped or abused - so it’s not the most robust dynamic mic - but it is the best sounding.
Must be bad luck. I've had the first version over 10 yrs and still works, I've bought the 2nd version and I am currently gigging it now, 2 yrs in and still working.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
I have had mine 7 years. My two band mates each have had their for 6 years. I have dropped mine several times with no issues whatsoever.

Steve
Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 PM

I have heard they are fragile, so I've tried to be careful with mine, and in 8 and a half years I've had no problems.

But i will note that the coating on the body of the mic has not gotten along with being used in a clip on a mic stand. I've always used the clip that came with the mic (because it's a little wider than the usual hand-held dynamic stage mic), but it hasn't mattered. The coating looks terrible at this point--very scuffed up. I still love the sound of the mic, though, and use it at every vocal gig I play!

Louis
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

My main vocal and instrument mic - love it!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 11-22-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I have heard they are fragile, so I've tried to be careful with mine, and in 8 and a half years I've had no problems.

But i will note that the coating on the body of the mic has not gotten along with being used in a clip on a mic stand. I've always used the clip that came with the mic (because it's a little wider than the usual hand-held dynamic stage mic), but it hasn't mattered. The coating looks terrible at this point--very scuffed up. I still love the sound of the mic, though, and use it at every vocal gig I play!

Louis

My experience is that they aren’t as robust as one would like. We have two at work (we use mainly B58, e945 and d:facto for vocals) and one is already broken: the capsule mounting bit has broken away from the body of the microphone. Dunno how it happened and I doubt it is worth repairing. I can’t get the pop shield off of the other so I don’t know what state it is in so I don’t bother with it anymore.

It’s a shame though cos it’s a great mic, but it’s not for everyone.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM

I really can't add anything.
My voice is low and I tend
To eat the mic so I have to engage the
Low cut filter. The comment above about "cutting through the mix " is spot
On. Your gonna love your new mic.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:55 PM

So far, I've tried the mic at home singing karaoke. Will give it a go for two 1 hr sets Saturday night. At first, I didn't realize my mixer already had the high pass filter engaged. I had to use the bass roll off. Sounded a little weak. Then I disengaged the high pass filter on my mixer. I'm well pleased with the mic. My wife prefers it to her Sennheiser e945. I like it over the 945 as well, but if the mic is facing the speakers, the 945 rejects feedback better. Interestingly, if the mics are facing away from the speakers, the Heil PR35 does a better job (than the Sennheiser e945) at rejecting feedback. I've found both those mics to have an equal amount of signal at even gain levels.

More of my thoughts to come ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification