The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I posted recently asking an open-ended question about about which "high end" guitar I should buy with an impending inheritance, with a $6,000 limit. I received a lot of excellent suggestions, and I think after some thought and experience and a few trips to local guitar shops, I'm down to two choices, both Taylors: the 814ce Grand Auditorium and the 812ce Grand Concert 12-fret. I was able to play a couple of the 814s and they are outstanding. However, most of my guitar work is fingerpicking, and the 812ce short scale guitar may be more appropriate. But there are no 812s available locally to play! The 812 is a smaller body, and I'm afraid it may lack volume and projection when compared to the 814? Or is it comparable? The 812 is very attractive, but there are none in the neighborhood to try. Does anyone have experience with both of these guitars? TIA --
I've had them both and recommend the 814ce as a better all-arounder. Let me suggest you also consider an Emerald X-20 carbon guitar bought directly from the company's factory in Ireland. I just bought one and I'm very pleased with its tone and comfort, and lack of humidity worries. You can also get an Emerald custom-made to your specifications.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion