The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Replace tuners on a 1950 Martin 00-18?

Three months ago I bought a 1950 Martin 00-18. The tuners appear to be original, and all work okay except for the A string one. It turns easily, but the string doesn’t move correspondingly in a smooth way, and it’s hard to adjust. I’m not sure if it’s something with the tuner, or if the string is binding in the nut slot. You have to turn the button more than the others, and then the string will jump a little. If I tune up, I can get it on pitch, but it’s not so easy. My guitar tech applied some oil to the tuners, but it didn’t help. One of my sons has a bike shop, and uses an ultrasonic cleaner plus solvents and specialty lubes on bike parts. That’s something I could have him do, as it looks like it would be a straightforward process to remove, recondition, and reinstall the tuners.

I really like the action and the sound, so I didn’t want the saddle adjusted, or to have the nut slots filed too low. But looking at the nut slots, I’m wondering if some work there could help.

The owner of the store where I got the guitar recommended replacing the tuners. I can save the old ones, and would like recommendations for replacements. My first choice would be to use the existing ones, but new ones would be fine.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E91D813F-89B4-4117-B1D8-1ED48FB9318A.jpg (22.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 9CD20F6A-B2EC-4C01-9F18-E4110439F9D5.jpg (31.5 KB, 88 views)
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Before changing out tuners, I think OP ought to take advantage of the offer to clean and lubricate the tuners he has. I also think OP ought to be sure the new strings are seated right at the bridge and travel smoothly through the nut.

Then worry about replacing/keeping tuners once the whole installation has been serviced and tested.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:26 AM

I would carefully measure the dimensions of the current tuners and see if Stew Mac has a direct replacement. One thing they offer is excellent and detailed mechanical drawings of all the tuners they sell. In particular the distance from the post center to the two screws and the tuning post diameter need to match.

You can try some pencil lead (the kind of pencil you used in high school for machine read tests) in the nut slots first to see if graphite lubrication is enough to make the current tuners usable.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-02-2019, 06:34 AM

I like the idea of cleaning/ lubricating what's on the guitar.

Mos def graphite to the nut slots.

If replacing, either Waverly(more expensive) or Grover Sta-Tites. Both are available from Stew-Mac.

Go slowly and carefully checking out the process with your repair guy, and buy some extra sets of strings.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 11-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Just lube the nut - you can use graphite, or even a quick rub of a candle (under the strings!)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
. It turns easily, but the string doesn’t move correspondingly in a smooth way, and it’s hard to adjust.
That sounds like a problem with the nut slot, not the tuner.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Just lube the nut - you can use graphite, or even a quick rub of a candle (under the strings!)
Quote:
That sounds like a problem with the nut slot, not the tuner.
Thanks! I'll try that first. That's a lot easier than taking off, cleaning, and reinstalling the tuners.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM

AFAIK, there is no modern drop-in replacement for these individual Waverlys. Stew Mac Waverlys are repros of prewar Grovers.
However, it is possible to source period replacements, since these tuners were used on many brands of guitars, including Gretsch, Guild, Harmony, and Kay, just to name a few. While they are mediocre quality, I am in agreement that the problem in this case is probably the nut slot. I carefully file the slot with a suitable nut file or needle file, paying close attention to rounding the bottom and the edge opposite the fingerboard. IMHO, lubricating the slot is a temporary fix.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
IMHO, lubricating the slot is a temporary fix.
Absolutely! But in just a couple minutes, OP would know if there were really a tuner problem or not -

Kinda surprised no update on the situation -
Old 11-03-2019, 11:06 PM

I have actually used a segment of old wound string of the correct gauge, or a couple of thousandths bigger, as an impromptu nut slot file. Add a couple of feeler gauges held in place with a rubber band like an old pencil capo to keep from inadvertently lowering the slot depth, then "file" the slot with the old string piece. Lube with pencil lead or other form of graphite, and the pinching problem ill likely disappear.

Also concur with removing, cleaning, and lubing the original tuners too. That might not be a full solution, but cannot hurt.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the advice! I plan to get some graphite, and also remove, clean and lube the original tuners this coming week. After 69 years they are probably overdue for some attention. If the problem persists, I’ll take it to my tech to check and file the nut slots where needed.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair