The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Default Gigging Musicians: Dealing with different crowds??

OK, so I am relatively new to solo acoustic gigging and have only played about 6 or 7 different venues and have found that some places have very responsive crowds that will request songs, sing and clap along and applaud at the end of every song...and.....there is the complete opposite, where everyone is just sitting quietly eating or drinking and after a song is over....nothing. Sometime you wonder if they even know you are there. I find it very fun and rewarding to play in the first situation and very depressing and boring to play in the latter.
Is this just part of the deal? Some places you are just "background music" and other places you are more of a focal point? How do you deal with these "background music" types of places? Not saying I want wild cheering and everyone singing along on top of their lungs, but a little polite applause now and then is nice.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM

That's pretty much the way it goes for gigging in pubs and restaurants. It can get worse, not everyone will quietly ignore you if you don't happen to play music that they like.

Welcome to the art of reading an audience.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Even worse is the restaurant or bar who think of musicians as a necessary evil. Never a positive word for fear you might ask for something. I played one place regularly where the new staff would be complementary and nice but only for a short while... Then they got the memo.

Best to have a good mailing list and friends you can count on at your gigs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

You can use dynamics to get people more interested in listening to you. The way you do it is by making sure each song has a quiet part. Getting quiet draws attention better than getting loud does.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM

Not all gigs are good gigs.

If the response is always bad in a given spot, you are likely not a good fit. Sure,
you can find out the reason and make changes that make you more appealing to that specific crowd, but these changes may make you less interesting to the ones that liked you to start with.

Yes, reading a crowd is part of it. Another part is knowing when to let go of a paying gig that drains you energetically or emotionally. Almost any gig is worth trying, not all are worth keeping.

Sometimes the musician has to "fire" the venue. If you don't, it'll likely happen the other way around soon enough. We have walked away or not "called back" about appearing in several instances. It's important to value your yourself enough to be able to do that IMHO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-20-2019, 05:12 PM

I agree with all the good advice given so far. I would add that you can choose which type of gig you want given what you have already learned. I stopped gigging in places where literally no one cares if I perform or not. For a practice session those places have their purpose, practice. But for me to bring myself and 40 years of gigging experience I want some interest in what I am doing. That does not mean it has to be a concert. But some places are musician friendly and some are not. One trick I use to get noticed and audience involvement is to talk with the audience before, during and after my gig. I don't mean tell jokes. I mean just ask some simple easy questions of people sitting close to you at the gig. 'How is your evening going', 'How is the food', 'What is your favorite kind of music', 'Where are you guys from'. Sometimes thats all it takes to feel that there is some interest in me. Other little tricks is wear something weird but not too out of the ordinary. Or, play songs people know and have a sing-a-long if you have their attention. Oh, and I play lead Kazoo on a few songs just for the uniqueness of it. It gets attention and people laugh and it relaxes the room. Hope this helps some.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:27 PM

We play this one bar every 2-3 months because it has a sound man, stage and it's always packed (300-400 people). It's crazy though how one night the crowd will be singing along and really into it and the next time we go, they could care less. It just comes with the territory. My favourite though is when the crowd starts off not carrying and slowly they are in love with us haha.

The biggest shock I would say was when we started doing actual concerts where people pay to watch us and there's zero talking between songs. That's a whole different world. There needs to be dialogue after songs and you really need to be tight.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 PM

It’s just the way it is. Live music has become less of a "main event" compared to even 7 or 8 years ago. It’s as if audiences want you there, but they want you in the background. Same can be said for venue owners and managers.

For those gigs where there’s not a lot of audience feedback, enjoy the fact that you’re getting paid to sharpen your performance skills a bit. We call those gigs "paid practices"

Here’s the other angle - you can be getting ready for a gig, feeling great, and thinking it’s going to be a great night. Then you get to the gig and it’s a big fat zero. Contrast that with the gigs where you’re almost dreading it. You’re tired, maybe had a hard day at the day gig. You’re thinking how nice it might be to stay home and watch a good movie. You get to the gig and it's a great crowd, you’re playing and singing is right on the money, and you have one of the best gigs you’ve had in months. Point is, you (that is, I) can’t predict those gigs either any more than you (I) can predict how an audience is going to be any given night. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride
Old 05-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Everyone deals with the 'background music' gigs in their own way.

We used to call them paid rehearsals. After a while, though, we just didn't want to pursue them at all. I'd only consider one if they pay was insanely good. If you are developing a 'listening room' act, then these types of gigs can be soul-sucking and confidence reducers. Of course, if you depend on these types of gigs to pay the rent/mortgage, then you'll have a different outlook.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Realize that to have an event means having a band or at least a performer. More bands mean it's a bigger event. Often who and what they are isn't important. It's the business model. That's where you find yourself as a performer/entertainer.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 PM

I’ve been gigging pretty steadily for the past 3 or 4 summers and I’ve experienced what you’re talking about.

I’ve also learned that (to me) any paying gig is a good gig.

I appreciate the fact that I have a full time professional office job with a salary, insurance, paid vacations, and a 401k and get to go play my guitar for 3 or 4 hours a couple of times a week, get paid for it, and am home in bed by 10:00 pm most nights.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 AM

You are a chameleon now. One day bright, colourful and vibrant. The other, unnoticeable wallpaper. Chameleons are comfy with either and easily switch as needed. Part of the evolution process.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 AM

I had my first “background music” gig last month and it really messed me up for a day or two after. Just a roar of chatter over me. I played the cocktail party before a charity dinner. They did give me a resounding applause when I was thanked during the dinner by the MC though. The staff was also very complimentary. The crowd was there to socialize and that was the simple truth.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 AM

Here's a little different prospective.
Just because there is little to no reaction doesn't always equate to apathy on the part of an audience, at least not the entire audience.
Some folks are listening and don't respond. Our duet has discovered that to be the case sometimes. How do I know? I know because every now and again a few folks will tell us afterwards how they enjoyed us even though there was no response while we were playing.
Every once in a while, even when it seems nobody cares, we'll play something that strikes a nerve with someone or a couple of someones. That's very cool.
Speaking for myself only, I have learned to accept being ignored as part of the deal sometimes.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Here's a little different prospective.
Just because there is little to no reaction doesn't always equate to apathy on the part of an audience, at least not the entire audience.
What Jamie said! I would also add that when I introduce our duo I say something like 'we're going to have a good time, feel free to join us' then we proceed to have a good time-independent of whether those in attendance join us in the fun. We're aware of the dynamics and will play requests if we know them. However, we're playing what we like and if others enjoy it that's great. That said, this is not a source of income for us so we can literally afford to be picky about gigs and casual about how we're received. Keep at it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion