The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The next size down from a dread is a M or 0000. is it not?
Have you looked it up yet?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 AM

I thought I had the ultimate 000-28 in my EC model (which is a really good one) until I played the 000-28MD. There was just a little more of everything when it came to tone, top to bottom.. I'll probably wait on the MD, but I'm sure I'll own one somewhere down the road....Great info in the original post, thanks!
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 05-21-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcaleca View Post
There was just a little more of everything when it came to tone, top to bottom..
Thanks. I have trouble describing what I hear. Kind of like when a fine wine expert tells me there’s hints of chocolate, apricot and oak my eyes roll 👀. But, you’ve given about the best description of the MD tone. It is very Martinesque but as you say, a little more of everything.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Thank you. It is difficult because there is no consistency. As I’m sure you already know, both the 000-42 and Clapton have 5/16” bracing. Why put thicker than necesssary bracing on these premium models? Who knows? That’s really the reason for this thread—the relevation that Martin finally put 1/4”, forward, GE scalloped VTS bracing on the short scale 000. A 000 with all the best of Martin’s bracing techniques. Hallelujah! I’ve never understood why they tend to put 5/16” bracing on it.

Regarding the neck, I have a couple of acquaintances who are uber-traditionalists when it comes to Martin necks. They wouldn’t own an MLO but seemed OK with this Vintage Deluxe. My other Martins are MLOs and I don’t notice much difference. So, I guess you just have to try it and make up your own mind. BTW, the OM-MD only has a Standard Taper.
I hadn't paid attention much to the 5/16" vs 1/4" and it makes sense as to why the CEO7 (1/4" adi bracing) blew the Clapton 000-28 out of the water when I played them back to back.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I hadn't paid attention much to the 5/16" vs 1/4" and it makes sense as to why the CEO7 (1/4" adi bracing) blew the Clapton 000-28 out of the water when I played them back to back.
When I started my search for a smaller-than-Dread guitar, many demos led me to two must have details: short scale and 1/4” bracing. I nearly went with a custom 000-18 Adi top (000-18s have 1/4” bracing, 000-28s do not-don’t ask why) but when the MDs were announced in January, I determined I’d wait to try the 000-28. Plus, the folks on the Martin forum have determined through measurements that the X is forward-shifted which is NOT typical on the 000-28. Then Martin added GE scalloping where after the top of the brace is shaved, they take off both top corners, rounding the top, resulting in the most aggressive scalloping they have. I’ve come to believe that tiny detail gives less disruption to soundwaves moving over it as would an aerodynamic feature on a racecar. Add all that together and you’ve got one hot-rodded top. I liken it to ordering the performance package on your Corvette. Not everyone will like the ride of stiffer suspension but you know beyond question that it will be faster on the track.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 05-21-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate advancement...but am I the only one who feels like Martin is stretching to fix something that’s not broken with the Modern Deluxe collection? It just seems to me like a car manufacturer putting new pinstripes on last years design & calling it “new & improved”, and raising the sticker price $2000.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I appreciate advancement...but am I the only one who feels like Martin is stretching to fix something that’s not broken with the Modern Deluxe collection? It just seems to me like a car manufacturer putting new pinstripes on last years design & calling it “new & improved”, and raising the sticker price $2000.
Here’s how I look at it...

It is comparable to a car option package. It’s like Corvette adding a ZR-1 model. Not pinstripes only but a combination of under-the-hood performance upgrades as well as cosmetic additions. The street price differential isn’t $2K, it’s more like $840.

If you take the individual upgrades and think about costing them through the custom shop, I think you’ll agree they are one heck of a bargain. And if you don’t want the High Performance model, they still offer the plain Jane version.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Default yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Well it certainly makes me want to go out and try one if I could find one.
Everything he says is true....I played one at Gruhn's....they are really great!!!
Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Not an expert in the 1/4" vs 5/16" bracing application. I have had a wonderful 00 CS with 1/4". Then there's adi and sitka brace wood choices with these CS models. I also like the Martin tone from various models with both sizes.

I had a great 2017 000-18. It even had some bloom and overtones. I didn't know it had 1/4" bracing. Had a truly resonant 00 with sanded top .105" and 1/4" braces. That beauty had an issue. it was sent back for a warranty, PA, return.

I would guess the 5/16" bracing on the EC would mean a more balanced lows?
In my town we lost our Martin dealer 10 or 15 years ago. I haven't tried a new Martin since last Fall. I have to drive 30 minutes to try out GC offerings.

Maybe you can write to designer Emily at Martin and get some clarity?http://blog.martinguitar.com/blog/topic/ask-emily

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion