The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Default buying used too risky?

One strategy that was mentioned here I’ve used many times, is that once I’ve decided on the guitar I want, I start trolling the GC used site. If I find one I like, and I generally only pick one in mint, great, or excellent condition, I call the store and start asking questions. I also have the salesperson snap photos and text them to me, as well as have them play it. If it’s got electronics, I have them plug it in. If it comes with a case or a bag, I have them verify which one it will ship with.
If I decide to buy it, then we just finish the deal over the phone. Even though I’m an hour from the nearest GC, I have them ship to store. When it arrives, I go check it out, and if it meets my expectations, away I go. If I don’t like, I just hand it back and get a refund. There’s usually a small shipping cost, like $25.
I’ve bought 5 guitars this way in the last several years and kept 3. The sales folks have always been very helpful and it’s been painless whether I keep them or give them back.

Recently I got a great deal on a supposedly one year old Martin GPCPA4 Shaded store demo, from an independent music store via Reverb. Long story short, they accidentally sent me a brand new one, which was an updated model with newer electronics. I offered to pack it up and send it back, but they told me just to keep it! Awesome guitar!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Used sometouimes works

I have bought and sold several very nice used instruments. My latest find was a 2013/14 Gibson J35 for $970. It was in excellent shape. Played very smoothly with great action. It was a local purchase that I was able to find via Reverb. I am not sure I would have bought it unplayed because I have read where Gibson's can be iffy at times. (That is an anecdotal comment and not one from personal experience.) I guess the long and short of it is - patience and some good research might just get you a great used instrument. My experiences have been positive - YMMV.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 PM

When buying used, learn how to check neck angle. Try and slip a slip of paper under the bridge to see if it is lifting. Check fret wear. Check for cracks. Decide ahead of time what amount of mojo you are ok with. For me, other then a neck reset, most other repairs aren't deal breakers as long as I like how the guitar sounds.
Guitars that I have purchased or seen under a $1000 include, Martin MMV, Martin DSR, Martin D16GT, Martin D15, Taylor 310, Taylor 410, older Guild D40, Guild D55, Eastman E20D, Larrivee D03R, Alvarez Yairi DY-59. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:00 AM

I've always found buying used was the safer option. Years ago I went through quite a pile of used electric guitars before I found the one. When I traded them in they were worth the same as what I paid (minus some profit for the store's next sale) - the depreciation happened before I got there.

Of my current stable only the Lowden and Taylor were purchased new - only because I couldn't find what I wanted used.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I've bought one new acoustic guitar in my lifetime - a Martin D18 in 1969. I would never buy a new one now as you lose too much money when selling it. I've bought both my 2014 Martin 000-18 and my 2013 Brook Torridge, both in mint condition for about half what they would cost new. You just have to look around and wait for the right one. If you buy online (which many of us have to do), make sure there is a decent return policy (at least 30 days) and make sure you treat the guitar like your firstborn, because if you you change it any way, scratch or ding it, most stores will not accept it back at full value. I imagine new strings is acceptable but I wouldn't do anything else.

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 05-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 AM

Buying used is only risky within the purchasers ability to assess the condition of the guitar. If you may not notice things like: belly bulge, super low saddle, bridge lift, loose bracing, excess fret wear/fret buzz, etc - then you should not buy used. If you know how to look for these thing you will be okay 00% of the time (IMHO).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
When buying used, learn how to check neck angle. Try and slip a slip of paper under the bridge to see if it is lifting. Check fret wear. Check for cracks. Decide ahead of time what amount of mojo you are ok with. For me, other then a neck reset, most other repairs aren't deal breakers as long as I like how the guitar sounds.
Guitars that I have purchased or seen under a $1000 include, Martin MMV, Martin DSR, Martin D16GT, Martin D15, Taylor 310, Taylor 410, older Guild D40, Guild D55, Eastman E20D, Larrivee D03R, Alvarez Yairi DY-59. Good luck with your hunt!
Man, good luck finding a Guild D-55 in playable shape for under a Grand. I suppose it can be done, but not likely.

A used Guild D-40, on the other hand, is an excellent choice in that price range. American made, high quality, top grade solid woods. 1 11/16" nuts on almost all of them, though.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 05-18-2019, 07:34 AM

I look at used guitars fairly often. If one says take me home I will. Kind of upsets the Mrs. but she can't kill me.

With that being said I tend to buy new. The last guitar I bought was my Takamine G93 in March. Like someone said earlier people will tend to recommend what they own.

So since you already have a Takamine give them look see. My G93 was $600 with a Gator case. And the shop owner threw in a $50 Levy strap at no cost.

Another option and this is based on the condition of your G340. At ten years old it should be opened up and sounding good. I know it won't be new to you, but have you considered upgrading the saddle and nut?
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
Man, good luck finding a Guild D-55 in playable shape for under a Grand. I suppose it can be done, but not likely.

A used Guild D-40, on the other hand, is an excellent choice in that price range. American made, high quality, top grade solid woods. 1 11/16" nuts on almost all of them, though.
Funny that. I actually did. I didn't know what I was buying when I bought it other then the fact it was a solid wood USA Guild. Because it was a solid wood Guild, I didn't care which model it was. The seller didn't know what model it was either. The paper in the sound hole was missing. After purchasing it I started researching it and found out it was a D55. The bridge was lifting and there was a crack on top. Had the bridge reglued and crack cleated. The tech at guitarworks thought it was a pre fender D55. I actually just had the repairs done a couple weeks ago. It sounds really sweet now.
Also have a 1970 Guild D40 that was picked up for under $500. It was in very good condition other then a lifting bridge and the chess logo on the headstock was lifting, no cracks, hardly any wear. It was because of the D40 I drove out in a snow storm in the middle of the night for the D55 when it was listed.

Last edited by numb fingertips; 05-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 AM

If you're worried about used guitars, once you've selected the model you want, you might look for "open box" deals from the big-box stores. What you'll get are guitars that were used for less than a month, and are generally in excellent shape. The advantage here is you get the original warranty, such as Martin's lifetime guarantee, since you are the original purchaser of record.

I did this once, and the guitar still had the plastic over the pick guard. It was in perfect condition, and probably hadn't been played for more than an hour.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:27 AM

I have purchased many guitars in the used market and have been very happy with the results.

In a sight unseen and unable to play transaction I ask questions, ask for detailed pictures that will show any structural problems or issues.

Educating yourself as to what to look for will minimize your risk.

There are good opportunity's to find great guitars for less with all the different venues we have today.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM

While I was away, I bought many used guitars online without any problem.

If you can try them, no worry !
Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Buying used is only risky is you are not an educated buyer. Looks to me like you are working at being one.

I've only ever bought five instruments new in my life, and three of those were custom orders. All the rest were used.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Sounds like you are already doing exactly the right thing! Playing it, thinking about it, and doing research online to find out what potential issues that model might have already been manifesting... I'm excited to find out what you go with. I've always bought used (and as you can see from my list my budget is a lot lower than yours) and think it's the way to go.

My (old) tunes
Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Just because a guitar is new that doesn't guarantee there won't be issues. I see all kinds of very recent guitars coming into my shop with problems. Bad factory neck angles, lifting bridges, poorly slotted nuts, sub-par fret work etc.... While you might get a warrantee with a new one, you can't guarantee that it won't have problems. One of the things I like about used guitars is that many of these issues are already dealt with if they've been regular players. If a guitar is 15 years old and the saddle is full height with good action, you can be pretty sure it's going to stay that way for a good while. With a new guitar, you hope it does but will have to wait 15 years to see what happens.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion