The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Default buying used too risky?

Buying a used guitar seems like such a risk, but if I were To go that route, what might me some good, solid wood options with a $1k budget.

For the past 4 weeks, I’ve been spending 1-2 lunch hours per week playing different guitars at my local music store. I do copious amounts of research, then go in and try a few I read about and compare. With my said budget in a new guitar, I’ve narrowed my taste down to some of the DX1AE Martin & DRS1, 1110e Taylor, Guild D150 (this one surprised me), Yamaha TA’s. I LOVE the looks of the Martin D15M streetmaster, but haven’t played it yet (a couple hundred over my budget)

However, I have a mental thing over laminate bodies and plastic bridges. I’m by no means a professional player, but I want to replace my 10 year old Tak G340 with something that will last a lifetime.

Any ideas of what I might be looking for in a used guitar? Or is it too risky? Specifically looking for a dread without cutaway, all wood. I like the wider nut, but not a deal breaker if a 1 11/16
Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePrent View Post
Buying a used guitar seems like such a risk, but if I were To go that route, what might me some good, solid wood options with a $1k budget.

For the past 4 weeks, I’ve been spending 1-2 lunch hours per week playing different guitars at my local music store. I do copious amounts of research, then go in and try a few I read about and compare. With my said budget in a new guitar, I’ve narrowed my taste down to some of the DX1AE Martin & DRS1, 1110e Taylor, Guild D150 (this one surprised me), Yamaha TA’s. I LOVE the looks of the Martin D15M streetmaster, but haven’t played it yet (a couple hundred over my budget)

However, I have a mental thing over laminate bodies and plastic bridges. I’m by no means a professional player, but I want to replace my 10 year old Tak G340 with something that will last a lifetime.

Any ideas of what I might be looking for in a used guitar? Or is it too risky? Specifically looking for a dread without cutaway, all wood. I like the wider nut, but not a deal breaker if a 1 11/16
Like I always do I'll recommend the Yamaha LL16 A.R.E. It's the same guitar as the LL-TA but minus the reverb/chorus electronics. Great spec, great build, great tones and all solid woods. Comes with a decent, passive UST and no onboard controls. Bridge saddles are cheap and easy to replace with the material of your choice; just find a competent tech. In another thread someone mentioned an LL16 on Craigslist for $300. If it's in good condition that's a steal. Be aware though that early LL16 models had a three-ply, not five-ply (as with the current model), neck, and the tops didn't have the A.R.E treatment, which is a definite improvement to an already fine instrument. Oh, and the L-series have 1 3/4" nuts.

Last edited by AndrewG; 05-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Like I always do I'll recommend the Yamaha LL16 A.R.E. Great spec, great build, great tones and all solid woods. Comes with a decent, passive UST and no onboard controls. Bridge saddles are cheap and easy to replace with the material of your choice; just find a competent tech. In another thread someone mentioned an LL16 on Craigslist for $300. If it's in good condition that's a steal. Be aware though that early LL16 models had a three-ply, not five-ply (as with the current model), neck, and the tops didn't have the A.R.E treatment, which is a definite improvement to an already fine instrument. Oh, and the L-series have 1 3/4" nuts.
Interesting... thanks! I never considered the LL. The Guild I played today was solid spruce and rosewood and sounded amazing....Im going to track that one down
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Some will consider buying used to be too risky, others not.

As is often the case, one way doesn't apply to everyone.
People just vary.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM

As you are clearly in the market for an upgrade, within that budget, $1000 used can get you a $2000 guitar, which is where quality really starts to rise. From what you say above and in your Yamaha thread, it definitely sounds like a used 15 series Martin may be a good choice. Lots of Furch options in that price range too - and don't be too hung up on laminates as some of theirs are really good indeed. You should also be able to pick up a used Taylor 3 series , a Larrivee or an Eastman and there are many solid wood Guilds available too in both Chinese and USA made variations. Faith also do some very good slopes in that price range as well.

As most here will attest, buying used, especially if you can play it first, should not be too risky. If you have to buy unplayed, get lots of photos and talk to the seller if you can too. The main risk is probably related to how well the guitar has been cared for, especially with regard to humidity. I've never been burned with any of my used purchases when I've bought without my having played them first. In fact, I've just done a quick audit now and of the 8 acoustics in my house (4 new and 4 used, including a 60s Gibson), all were bought online and not played before purchase, though I did get to play two of them when I picked them up from the private sellers.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Guitar Center gives you 45 days to try out their used guitars. If you return it you're only responsible for the shipping.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 PM

I think if you approach buying a used guitar with a good plan and are open minded about brand, model etc., You can do well with a used guitar.

Play many guitars. Get an idea of what suits you. Don't be too quick to judge brands or go to one "camp" or another.

Remember, it is human nature to recommend one brand over another for some people because it reinforces their brand choice, not because it may be best for you.

Decide what you want to do with the guitar and what you expect from it. Some guitars are specifically aimed at fingerstyle players, for instance. They maybe very sensitive, producing great tone with a light touch. That same guitar may not sound good when strummed.

Some guitars are more jack of all trades type instruments. If you are using it to accompany singing, sing with any guitar you are seriously considering.

Be aware of how the guitar fits you. While dreadnoughts are the most popular size guitars, they aren't for everyone.
Is the guitar comfortable for YOU to play? Compare neck shapes, sizes, guitar scale lengths.

When you have it narrowed down, decide if you feel more comfortable buying from a store with a good return policy or would you purchase from an individual for the right guitar and price?

Learn what to look for with a used guitar. A mint guitar with no saddle adjustment left may not be a good deal.

Bling makes a guitar look good. It doesn't make a guitar sound good or play well.

Have somebody play a guitar you are interested in. It is good to hear a guitar from where listeners hear it.

Find a good tech or luthier who would check out a guitar for you. Even if a fee is involved, it may be worth spending a small amount compared to buying a problem instrument.

Don't be in a hurry. Don't be pressured to be in a hurry.

Guitars can be personalized to some degree. String choice, action height. Make sure a guitar has newer strings on it. Worn out, dead strings kill the tone of most any guitar.

You can potentially get a great used guitar. But you need to do your homework to realize that goal. Remember, that only you need to be happy with your choice of guitar.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Buying used guitars is the least expensive way to get a professional quality instrument. There’s never been much risk involved any of the many times I’ve done it.

whm
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Personally I consider the risk equal with a new guitar. Take the $2000 new guitar vs $1000 used guitar example. You spend $2000 at Guitar Center, and then on the 46th day you decide "Whoa, this doesn't sound like it did, or I've outgrown it." Now you're kind of stuck in the hole with a $2000 guitar that you might get $1200 back selling it used. The warranty you paid $1000 for is useless. The risk was as high as the used guitar at $1000 from a dollar standpoint.

Now, take that same $2000 and go buy at used $3500 guitar -- if you go back to GC, you still get the 45 days, or maybe you get only a few days somewhere else. You've had time to ensure it's structurally sound, so if you tire of it or whatever, you can basically sell it for what you paid. Way less risk -- unless you're not careful and buy a defective instrument.

Warranty work is valuable when you need it - but with smart shopping you'll get a lot more guitar for your money with less risk. When I buy a used guitar, I do a full structural evaluation - and a few times I've had a local luthier give it a physical health check while he sets it up my way.

Now, I could be lucky. I've bought plenty of new guitars, but never used the warranty once. And the used guitars I've bought have all been structurally sound and generally tonally good or great. I now generally try to buy used first. But I've broken down plenty of times (Not because of this warranty thing though -- usually it's because it's easier to find what you want).

In your budget you could go up a grade or two on the ladder used. Get solid. OR - if you like solid wood dreads, check out an Eastman E10D (Hog) or E20D (Rosewood with Adi top) - you can get new for around $1000 and used down around $700. Their sitka topped models are an even better deal. These are like high end Martins from feature standpoint, with cheaper cases, and a slightly less consistent QA. So, you can get something like a $3K guitar for around $1K - tone is not exactly Martin, but it's darn good.

There are many options, so open your possibilities !!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 PM

I've purchased about a dozen used guitars over the years and never had a bad experience. To me, it's foolish to buy new unless you are getting a custom guitar built. Especially the higher end you go, the more they are taken care of.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM

You have a lot of options including new guitars at the $1000 price point.
First, figure out what type of guitar you want and then start your search.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

+1000 on this advice -- Paddy makes some great points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I think if you approach buying a used guitar with a good plan and are open minded about brand, model etc., You can do well with a used guitar.

Play many guitars. Get an idea of what suits you. Don't be too quick to judge brands or go to one "camp" or another.

Remember, it is human nature to recommend one brand over another for some people because it reinforces their brand choice, not because it may be best for you.

Decide what you want to do with the guitar and what you expect from it. Some guitars are specifically aimed at fingerstyle players, for instance. They maybe very sensitive, producing great tone with a light touch. That same guitar may not sound good when strummed.

Some guitars are more jack of all trades type instruments. If you are using it to accompany singing, sing with any guitar you are seriously considering.

Be aware of how the guitar fits you. While dreadnoughts are the most popular size guitars, they aren't for everyone.
Is the guitar comfortable for YOU to play? Compare neck shapes, sizes, guitar scale lengths.

When you have it narrowed down, decide if you feel more comfortable buying from a store with a good return policy or would you purchase from an individual for the right guitar and price?

Learn what to look for with a used guitar. A mint guitar with no saddle adjustment left may not be a good deal.

Bling makes a guitar look good. It doesn't make a guitar sound good or play well.

Have somebody play a guitar you are interested in. It is good to hear a guitar from where listeners hear it.

Find a good tech or luthier who would check out a guitar for you. Even if a fee is involved, it may be worth spending a small amount compared to buying a problem instrument.

Don't be in a hurry. Don't be pressured to be in a hurry.

Guitars can be personalized to some degree. String choice, action height. Make sure a guitar has newer strings on it. Worn out, dead strings kill the tone of most any guitar.

You can potentially get a great used guitar. But you need to do your homework to realize that goal. Remember, that only you need to be happy with your choice of guitar.

Good luck.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've bought 2 used guitars, my Larrivee OM-05 from Guitar Center and my Guild D-120c from Sam Ash. Both guitars were in near perfect condition. They are both in my weekly rotation.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Buying used guitars is the least expensive way to get a professional quality instrument. There’s never been much risk involved any of the many times I’ve done it.

whm
Yes. But you are capable of quickly identifying most issues that a used guitar might have. I have been playing about three years now, and I am not sure I would.

Many of the people asking questions about the risk of buying used are clearly not confident they could tell if the geometry was a little out of whackt, if the thing is not quite rieght all down the fretboard, etc.

I bought a used guitar, sight unseen, with no protection whatsoever. I am glad I did, I love that guitar. I bought it from a member on the Guild forum, and that gave me some confidence. But I certainly could have been taken

Last edited by rwmct; 05-17-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
In your budget you could go up a grade or two on the ladder used. Get solid. OR - if you like solid wood dreads, check out an Eastman E10D (Hog) or E20D (Rosewood with Adi top) - you can get new for around $1000 and used down around $700. Their sitka topped models are an even better deal. These are like high end Martins from feature standpoint, with cheaper cases, and a slightly less consistent QA. So, you can get something like a $3K guitar for around $1K - tone is not exactly Martin, but it's darn good.

There are many options, so open your possibilities !!
Thanks for the idea! Adding this Eastman to the list! There are few on Reverb that have amazing appointments!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion