The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Solomon acoustic archtop guitars

Ahhh, just when I think I've finished the collection and have every guitar I could possibly need, I find something so beautiful and lustful as this!

I'm talking about the Solomon Phidelity acoustic archtop. I was just introduced to Erich Solmon's website yesterday, and I haven't stopped drooling over the pictures since. In fact, today I called and spoke with Mr. Solomon for quite some time about his guitars. I was hoping that he would be heading to Summer NAMM in Nashville this weekend. It's a six hour drive for me, but I would've gladly taken the trip to try this guitar out. Unfortunately for me, he won't be attending. We did speak at length about what I would want in a guitar though, and Erich was very friendly, knowledgealbe and down to earth. It was a pleasure speaking to him. I've just about worked out all the major details for the guitar I would like him to build for me, now I just need to save the money! His prices seem very reasonable too, especially in the hand carved archtop world. In addition, every one of his instruments has a french polish finish. This alone can be a multi-thousand dollar adder for other big name archtop builders. Anyway, I just thought I would share my latest object of lust!

I've attached some photos below, but you can find more, and other models at his website:

www.solomonguitars.com

Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 AM

A few more photos to drool over!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM

Back Drifter,

I see that Soloman will be at Healdsburg next month. I think there are quite a few folks from the AGF who are planning to attend (including myself). Soloman is definitely one builder who I am interested to see. Will try to take some photos and notes to share with the group.

I believe there was someone here (I forget whom) who has a Soloman and who has posted photos. Nice looking guitars for sure and I'll bet they sound wonderful.

Thanks for posting all the photos. Definitely gets the wheels turning.

Darryl
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

{Sigh} Yeh, you've got the disease.... Write your Will, kiss your wife goodbye and just jump into the coffin....

Very rarely do used Solomon's come up for sale.... I wonder why?

One day.. maybe I'll have one...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the reply, Darryl! If you do see Mr. Solomon at Healdsburg, I would appreciate if you can give me your impression of his guitars. I wish I could make it!

Sordello, you're absolutely right, I can't imagine it's easy to find a used Solomon. It's been a while since I bought a new, high end guitar. I typically like to find deals on used ones. GAS is a terrible disease, and thanks to the internet you can almost always find someone trying to unload the guitar you want so they can get something else. But, I think the Phidelity may be the next one that I save up for and purchase new.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Arch tops seem to be in the air this week here.

Some other builders to wet your whistle;
Campellone;
http://www.campelloneguitars.com/
Bill Comins;
http://www.cominsguitars.com/
Jim Triggs;
http://www.triggsguitars.com/guitar.shtml
Ted Megas;
http://www.megasguitars.com/
Brad Nickerson;
http://www.nickersonguitars.com/
Robert Benedetto's company;
http://www.benedettoguitars.com/#

...........to name a few.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-17-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the links. I'm familiar with all of those except Mr. Triggs. They all look like nice instruments. I owned a Benedtto and loved it, but never meshed with the neck profile.

Darryl, if you remember who on the forum has a Solomon I would love to talk to them!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I loved mine. I got it in a trade. The playability and subtle undertones were amazing. To be honest, I couldn't get used to the funky look. And guilt of how much dough in one guitar I had. I traded it for a Morgan, a Martin and enough cash to take the kids to Disney for 8 days So, I moved on. But I would love to try another someday.
Beautiful Koa!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Hi YJ,

Thank so much for sharing those pictures. The wood is absolutely gorgeous! I'm glad to hear that the guitar sounded great and played well, those are obviously important factors. I have to admit that the sound hole location is no my favorite on that one, but I would still love to try it out. Can you compare it to any other guitar? How did the acoustic archtop sound in comparison to a flat top guitar?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 PM

Ah! That's the one I was thinking of...Yamaha Junkie's Soloman. That's one guitar that sticks in my brain...beautiful koa. One day I'd like to get something a lot like that.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The Solomon was really easy to play. It handled the softest touch and attack with ease. I don't know what radius he used on the fingerboard but wow it was smooth to play.
The build quality was perfect. Really a nice guitar. Find your look and order with confidence.

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 07-18-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
The Solomon was really easy to play. It handled the softest touch and attack with ease. I don't know what radius he used on the fingerboard but wow it was smooth to play.
The build quality was perfect. Really a nice guitar. Find your look and order with confidence.
What a gorgeous Solomon, and that koa was top grade, sparkle-smart and shimmering!

YJ, how can you sleep at night knowing you let that one go??????
Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I miss it. I'm a lucky guy. I buy used so I don't take a bath. Move on sometimes because its time to try something new. The look of the one Brackdrifter posted is beautiful. But, in Walnut maybe.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops