The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Stubs View Post
Yeah, if I use one with any kind of pressure, the strings just yank the pick out of my fingers. I have significant carpal tunnel probs and other things which don't allow me to truly feel how tightly I am gripping something. This applies to some of my tasks in the workplace, too, unfortunately.
Makes me happy enough not to have the pressure of playing in public or in a band.
Not to need to make "attacks" with a pick - although I love to hear others do so with great authority.
So it's just me, my fingers and my fingernails for now.
Numbness in the fingers sucks.
Sorry to hear about the carpel tunnel. As much and as long as I've been playing, I've been incredibly fortunate.

Hope healing is in your future.

best,
scott memmer
Old 05-21-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Hard to hold flatpick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
I always lick my fingers just a bit before I play. Seems to help.

Hey, i thought i was the only one that did that. I have to lick the two that hold the pick, of course, for extra grip.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by therbulus View Post
Have to say, I'm amazed at how many replies this elicited--and how many different answers there were! Never would have thought this was such a common thing. Thanks to all for the wealth of ideas.
A guitar picks, especially a highly polished one, is a difficult thing to hold. I've always been surprised by players who DON'T put something on them to improve grip.

sm
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I lick the dotted Primatones, but they still tend to rotate to the rear. Must be angle of attack on strings, but I have not figured out how to counteract it. However, I have been able to find opportunities in transitions etc to quickly reposition the pick while playing.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I lick the dotted Primatones, but they still tend to rotate to the rear. Must be angle of attack on strings, but I have not figured out how to counteract it. However, I have been able to find opportunities in transitions etc to quickly reposition the pick while playing.
Now I am finding that if I let the pick rotate until the narrow end is pointing to the rear, the pick stops rotating and stays in that position. Sometimes I just accept that and keep playing with the corner of the pick.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:14 PM

I get this, because often times i want the sound that comes with a Dunlop Jazz III and the feel of that little bevel on it, but I want the grip surface of a Dunlop Vinyl pick or a Dunlop Max Grip pick.

(I say this when I'm comparing picks, but when I'm actually playing, I am sure I forget what pick I have in my hand)

That all being said, some pros will just pick the pick (ha) that sounds the best to them and then tape it. Seems like a good solution.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Easiest way to stop pick rotation IME.....use a triangular pick.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 PM

I had mentioned this earlier, but since then have begun doing this to most of my picks, even Primetones and Dunlop Flow picks. It take about 20-30 seconds if you have any kind of box knife handy. Just a few light diagonal scores improves the grip of most picks significantly, even better than many that come pre-textured. It's super easy to do. Try it on a cheap pick and see if you like it. I find it REALLY helps, especially when my hands get a big sweaty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pick_grooves.JPG (21.3 KB, 85 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 PM

I tried scoring with a box cutter and drilling holes. The only thing that works for me is medical adhesive tape. I use rounded triangle picks and put a small square in the middle on both sides. It felt weird at first, but I got used to it after about 5 minutes. Works great.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Here is the BIG SECRET! ... Don't hold your pick so tight. teach yourself to hold it "just" tight enough, but not too tight.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it really IS the secret.
Agree 100%.........I don't have a problem with my picks slipping, like SM says, don't squeeze too tight. I have never had to sand, put holes, cut etc, etc on my picks.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRedbeard View Post
I have had the same problem and found I get less slippage using a Mojo grip pick.

This! I couldn’t keep a pick in my hands until I started using Mojo grips. You just slide in the pick of your choice and you have a rubber grip!

Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 AM

The only pick I found that doesn’t move at all is the blue chip. Great for bluegrass’s with there firm wrist and cross-picking. If you use a combination of strumming and cross-picking, and a more flexible wrist, you actually need a little movement of the pick. With the blue chip you have to consciously adjust your pick position on some songs.

If your a beginner and using a thin pick it doesn’t matter. The pick has enough flex that you can grip it as hard as you want, and doesn’t move around. Once you start chasing better tone, and moving up to a thicker pick, that’s when most people start to struggle with pick movement. For me .75 and up, and it wants to move.

One of the keys which has already been mentioned, is to use a very light grip, but even with a light grip the pick will usually gradually start to rotate. I had this problem for years. Eventually I got to the point where I could play with the side of my pick if I had too, until the song had a natural break.

A while back I was talking to a guy. He ran a local open mic, and I would get there early and pick his brain. He had great tone, both plugged in and un-plugged. He was using Clayton picks, which I had found especially slippery. I asked him about it and he said “I just make sure the label is down, and my thumb is on the smooth part”

What? Are you kidding me? There is no way it could be that simple! It was , though. It also explained why some days the control was better than others. About half the time you would accidentally get it right.

You don’t even need the guitar to try it. The pick position to the thumb is what needs to be constant. If you hold it loosely with the label down you can move your forefinger and the thumb position stays fixed. Flip it over, and it’s the exact opposite.

For me, It only works with smooth picks. Primetones seem to work the best. Something about the bevel helps, I think. Then Ultex, then Claytons. I haven’t tried any of the other premium picks. (but I want to)

It has been a real game changer for me. Especially playing out. I can get the different tones I want, and not worry that my pick is going to go sailing across the room. Or, worse yet, shoot inside the sound hole.

Let me know how it works for you.

Dave
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB
Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Here is the BIG SECRET! ... Don't hold your pick so tight. teach yourself to hold it "just" tight enough, but not too tight.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it really IS the secret.
Yea this is the secret.. relax.. If you put a death grip on it youll drop it for sure.
Ive run the gambit in picks and have tried the expensive boutique picks that are out there. I have several Blue Chip picks
that are in a drawer and seldom get used, They are indeed
a nice pick but the cost prevents me from using them where i might lose them.
Which is anywhere outside the house..So why own one.
Ive settled on fender extra heavy picks i drill a few holes in them
but not really necessary. they are white and and easiliy seen if dropped.
But i cant remember the last time i dropped one.
For me its been an evolution to thicker picks. As ive played over the last
few decades ive gradually gone thicker and thicker. The fender extra heavys
are not too thick (i think 1.14 not sure though) But 100 will cost you the same
as one blue chip. Its really not the pick ..Its more the player. technique and
repetition will do more for your tone then any exotic dinosaur protein
boutique pick will do. I did a blind test once with all
the different picks i own. The Blue chip won. to my ear
it sounded the best. The fender was an extremely close second. not enough
to discount the cost differential. The Bc are in a drawer.!
I used those clear brown claytons for awhile, drop one on a hardwood floor
and they all but disappear. really uncanny how they vanish. ha

Last edited by varmonter; 07-07-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM

I've moved increasingly to the 346 "medium triangle" instead of the classic but smaller Fender 351 size. More surface to grip with the digits. The larger size and slightly larger mass is barely noticeable with doing fast flatpicking, and unnoticeable (in a good way) when strumming.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-10-2019, 05:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
No, you're not the only one. That's a pretty slippery pick.

Try everything:

Rough up the top of the pick (sandpaper or scratches)
Drill some small holes
Put a piece of white medical tape over the top half

See what works. Eventually you'll find something (or get a better pick from the frustration).
Yes, the medical tape thing helps a lot and is fast, easy, and cheap cheap cheap.

If you combine that with some drilled grip holes, you should notice an immediate improvement.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion