The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2019, 10:35 PM

I would not buy a guitar with a crack. Especially one I can’t see and inspect myself. I have a 2017 000-18 and was always a Taylor guy but it blows me away when I play it. You can get a nice minty used one if you’re just patient as there are a lot of them out there in the used market.

Since you’re in the moment bummed about picking the wrong guitar you’re most likely just wanting a quick fix to align the gas gods. But, for the amount of nice used 000-18s out there and the cost I would absolutely wait for the right one. I speak from experience in my impatience.

Last edited by MoJoe; 03-30-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe View Post
I would not buy a guitar with a crack. Especially one I can’t see and inspect myself. I have a 2017 000-18 and was always a Taylor guy but it blows me away when I play it. You can get a nice minty used one if you’re just patient as there are a lot of them out there in the used market.

Since you’re in the moment bummed about picking the wrong guitar you’re most likely just wanting a quick fix to align the gas gods. But, for the amount of nice used 000-18s out there and the cost I would absolutely wait for the right one. I speak from experience in my impatience.
Thanks MoJoe, I appreciate your reply.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:31 PM

Default Finally

After a bit of travail, I ended up purchasing a Taylor 12 fret short scale all mahogany GA non-electric.
This guitar is just fantastic. I thought the extra bit of girth from the GC may be a slight issue, but as it turned out it is very comfortable to play. The sound is wonderful and rumbles in my chest.
The seller shipped it with a set of Martin Retro strings and I really like the sound. I am a happy camper.
Any recommendation on other strings to try ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2363.jpg (39.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
i also had to learn this lesson the hard way. Hardwood tops have a dramatic impact on tone, compromising both bass and treble resulting in a very midrange focused sound. Spruce is hands down the best wood for the soundboard offering the best combination of strength and flexibility in the wood kingdom. Mahogany, Koa, Walnut and the other ‘tweener Woods do not make good soundboards. They simply aren’t flexible enough.

I am in the process of choosing between the 000-18 and 000-28. Personally, I will only by one of Reno Music’s customs which bring in Adi tops and bracing, real 12/4 mahogany necks and upgraded Geib cases. Great guitars either way and you always get the best Martin has to offer by going thru the CS.
Whoaaa..! If "tweener" woods don't make for good soundboards, why are so many guitars made that use those woods?

Just the Martin 15 series alone ( starting off as the 17 series back in the day) has been/ continues to be an extremely popular guitar. Not all who have purchased them have done so because they are less costly than spruce.

Then, there are the Koas.

You are correct about tonal differences but one can't assume that spruce is better but only different.

I think it is fair to say that a Gibson J 45 is thought to be pretty midrange focused compared to a Martin D18. That said, again the two sounds are different but one is not inferior to the other.

It all depends on the tonal qualities you want for whatever reasons you have.

This is not unique to guitars. Other types of instruments have similar differences.

A Bach Stradivarious trumpet is known for its bold bright sound. A Monel made trumpet is known for the opposite- its dark moody sound. Is one better than the other?

A spruce top is better for your purposes.
It is not inherently better for all players.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
After a bit of travail, I ended up purchasing a Taylor 12 fret short scale all mahogany GA non-electric.
This guitar is just fantastic. I thought the extra bit of girth from the GC may be a slight issue, but as it turned out it is very comfortable to play. The sound is wonderful and rumbles in my chest.
The seller shipped it with a set of Martin Retro strings and I really like the sound. I am a happy camper.
Any recommendation on other strings to try ?
So you ended up with an all mahogany GA size body with 12 fret and short scale? You must have found a nice BTO custom or perhaps an LTD model as your description does not sound like a standard Taylor model.

I was considering recommending you do a string project on the 522 but probably does not make sense to keep it if the GA rings your bell.

Congrats!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 AM

Whatever works.. I was reading the thready expecting to see you switched to a Taylor 312ce/312e or the Martin 000-18 to get the Spruce top.

I'm surprised going to the GA wit all mahogany got you where you wanted to be but if it did then all is well.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
So you ended up with an all mahogany GA size body with 12 fret and short scale? You must have found a nice BTO custom or perhaps an LTD model as your description does not sound like a standard Taylor model.

I was considering recommending you do a string project on the 522 but probably does not make sense to keep it if the GA rings your bell.

Congrats!
Thanks Bob,
It was listed by the seller as a BTO, but the tag reads Custom TF. I don't understand the difference, but the GA body places the sound right where I want it.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
Whatever works.. I was reading the thready expecting to see you switched to a Taylor 312ce/312e or the Martin 000-18 to get the Spruce top.

I'm surprised going to the GA wit all mahogany got you where you wanted to be but if it did then all is well.
The 12 fret short scale of the GA "struck a cord " with me .
Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Default Martin 000-18 OR Taylor 322ce

When in doubt, always Martin...probably. Rosewood/Spuce.

Or, if you like a quieter warmer softer sound and dont want to spend a zillion $, then try the Martin Streetmaster.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion