The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Bach's Inventions for Guitar

Hi everyone,

About to receive J. S. Bach - 15 Two-Part Inventions: Transcribed for Solo Guitar

Is anyone able to list the Inventions from easiest to hardest.

Or at least give me a clue which one I should start with.

I'm an intermediate level player around Grade 6

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
J. S. Bach - 15 Two-Part Inventions: Transcribed for Solo Guitar
Yikes. That should be quite the challenge. Kudos to you for tackling that.
I'm only familiar with these Inventions transcribed for Guitar Duet. (I have the Willard edition.)
I don't know that I would call any of them easy. That's just a personal observation. But definitely worth the effort! It's incredible music, but challenging and multi-layered.
A million years ago when I was just starting to record (on analog cassette tape) I recorded a bunch of them. The following are the ones I found to be the "easiest" in the Willard book, which is to say, the only ones I could get through:
1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 13 and 15.

That might be the case too in a solo transcription, but it's hard to tell. It really depends on the quality of the transcription.
You might have an easier with this material than I did.

Just for yucks, I thought I would post here a recording I did of #8 (in A) from that time. Again, these are dual guitar parts. Note: The sound quality isn't very good at all. These are digitized from the original analog recording. Also, I recorded them on my Gibson Chet Atkins electric/classical, plugged right into the Tascam Porta 2 I was using at the time. Definitely not for the purists, but I had a blast with it! It was a lot of fun recording both parts and listening to the results.

I might give those another try some day with today's technology and a more traditional classical guitar.
Please let us know how the solo transcriptions work out! I'll be curious to hear.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical